TVs will kill us! ALERT!

taviow

Watching TV is bad because it will kill us all. ogod.

In a new analysis published this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers combined data from eight such studies and found that for every additional two hours people spend glued to the tube on a typical day, their risk of developing type 2 diabetes increases by 20% and their risk of heart disease increases by 15%.

And for every additional three hours the study participants spent in front of the TV, their risk of dying from any cause during the respective studies jumped 13%, on average.

I'm gonna live forever :lol:

Seriously though, I always thought it was the resulting stupification of the human population that would be the bane of the human race.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't see the issue. It's pretty well known that sitting glued to the television is bad for your health.

What worries me is if this also applies to sitting at a computer.

From what I've read, sitting at a computer actually stimulates the brain a lot (unlike the TV) which improves cognition. However, physically speaking, it's just as bad for your cardiovascular health as sitting at a television.

The worst thing is that this is true even for people who exercise a lot. It's not the lack of exercise that is causing this, it's the simple act of sitting in one spot for a long period of time.

So that's **** because it would appear the healthiest way to use a computer is lots of short duration periods (e.g. 15 minutes) with exercise in between (if only walking around the house a bit perhaps).

Since I joined the games industry I've really started taking my health alot more seriously. I now run, and go to the gym regularly.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yeah, same here. Stats: The Clutch of People Who Make Stuff Up While Tryting To Act Like They Know A Big Secret When they Don't.

Actually stats is just an application of logic and maths, usually to a science. You're rambling again dude.

Sedentary activites being bad for you, who'd have thought up of such madness.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sedentary activites being bad for you, who'd have thought up of such madness.

+1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Actually stats is just an application of logic and maths, usually to a science. You're rambling again dude."

In theory, yes, in practice, no.

Problem with stats is they are too eaisly manipulated and twisted to show what you want which makes them suspiciousn and untrustworthy unless youw ere actually a part of the process. :ermm:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't see the issue. It's pretty well known that sitting glued to the television is bad for your health.

What worries me is if this also applies to sitting at a computer.

From what I've read, sitting at a computer actually stimulates the brain a lot (unlike the TV) which improves cognition. However, physically speaking, it's just as bad for your cardiovascular health as sitting at a television.

The worst thing is that this is true even for people who exercise a lot. It's not the lack of exercise that is causing this, it's the simple act of sitting in one spot for a long period of time.

So that's **** because it would appear the healthiest way to use a computer is lots of short duration periods (e.g. 15 minutes) with exercise in between (if only walking around the house a bit perhaps).

Well, yeah, but a major chunk of the western world has been sitting down in front of something 8 hours a day for the past 70 years. And that's the model for successful civilization. So the human race has probably already signed its own death sentence. Or perhaps a 13% increase in risk of death is actually silly and meaningless. I wonder how much the risk of me dying increases every time I step out my home. Or every time I enter the bathtub. Or every time I eat out. Or every time I do anything.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There's always the point of saying "yes, I can live a long and healthy life..but I won't be doing any of the things I enjoy doing while living that long"

There's that need to find the balance point... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Correlation and causation are not interchangeable.

You can very strongly correlate TV's per capita with average lifespan. TV's are great for your health!

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies