Buying a mic

Being not entirely flush with cash I thought I should opt for one microphone to handle both gaming in things like Left 4 Dead, and my amateur but improving singing.

My present thinking is a desktop located normal singing mic, for about 20 quid. A 'certain' website has many of these which receive solid customer reviews.

I guess my immediate concern is what jack sizes I'm dealing with. In the pictures they look normal guitar amp sized coming from the mic, but my PC doesn't have anything like that. What translator jacks will I need?

Also, in general, thoughts on this?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest Slinky

I can't say a thing about what mic you should buy, but if the connector looks like a guitar amp size, it's probably 5.something or 6.something mm plug, all you need is a adapter to 3.5mm, they sell those everywhere. The mic slot in your soundcard is for 3.5mm plug, unless you have some weird card. Doesn't the websites say what kind of connector the mics have?

Next stop, Britain's Got Talent?

Thanks, Deathdealer. I found a 6.5 to 3.5 mil jack. Should do the trick.

On balance I like the notion of a proper microphone, rather than a headset. Will give my gaming a radio DJ feel. :blink: Plus I can't find a single headset mic that would qualify as recording standard.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You do realize that you now have to upload your singing so we can hear it, right?

I should not wish to embarrass you by making you weep manly tears at the sheer beauty of my singing.

-Elwood Blues

You do realize that you now have to upload your singing so we can hear it, right?

I second this.

....sadly I have no mic advice. I bought a couple cheapies for video recording purposes but have no clue when it comes to pc's and mics.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

OK then, what do you want me to sing?

-Elwood Blues

I'd recommend something exceptionally British.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Love Me Tender

..and replace "You have made my life complete, and I love you so" with "Mkreku has made my life complete, and I love you so" :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sounds like the mating season has started for the blue-footed Swede :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

hah. I shall consider a medley.

-Elwood Blues