So you want to work in the video games industry...

Nightshape

Probably true. But there's a lot of others I could think of... soldier, actor, nurse, Volourn...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Probably true. But there's a lot of others I could think of... soldier, actor, nurse, Volourn...

Sure, there are other jobs which are similar, but its basically the fact that there is a general ignorance about games development. The best way I have found of describing it is:

"The video games indstry is like having a monkey companion, one moment it can be the most unbelievable fun and then the other it has you pinned on the floor, biting away while throwing its s*** in your face."

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Its true.

Hence why I'm glad I gave up that delusion before I started college.

You couldn't have hacked it anyways... The average attrition is about 4 years... You was clearly starting out deluded thinking this was an Adult industry. It's a way for grown up kids and retards like myself to get paid.

I'd rather clean toilets with my tongue than work in the video game industry.

It seems a pretty unpleasant place.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Its not actually THAT bad, it really is about what company you work for, some companies, are actually just running questionable, and in some cases illegal work practices.

Sorry to sound shallow, but are there any attractive women working in the games industry or is it all hairy, overweight slobs wearing anime t-shirts and playing obscure 80's side-scrolling fighting games because it's so ironic it's cool?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Its not actually THAT bad, it really is about what company you work for, some companies, are actually just running questionable, and in some cases illegal work practices.

Fair enough.

It does often sound though like low pay, very long hours, little freedom, ridicoulous deadlines, having to jump at the whims of every passing retail or publishing suit are standard working conditions.

I'm often puzzled why anyone would want to work in games development at all.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm often puzzled why anyone would want to work in games development at all.

When I was a student I had a summer job cleaning the maintenance tunnels of a large power facility. I think this might be where my thing about tunnels came from, as one day we had a strange LARPing type moment in the tunnels, but anyway I imagine it's still probably better than working in the games industry.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'll just pause here and remark that there are probably few problems in life that can't be solved by the odd bit of tunnel LARPing.

Personally I think that working within any large organisation (>4 employees) sucks ass. No responsibility, never any sense of quality and precious little urgency. Of course, ask me again in ten years when I want somewhere quiet to sit and flatulate...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Personally I think that working within any large organisation (>4 employees) sucks ass.

Couldn't agree more.

Unless they are your employees, of course.

Bottom line, if you are not self-employed then you're just making someone else rich. Sometimes it's OK for the short term if you've got a long term goal in mind, but mostly working for someone else, especially a large company, is just selling off the hours of your life for a pittance.

Sorry to sound shallow, but are there any attractive women working in the games industry or is it all hairy, overweight slobs wearing anime t-shirts and playing obscure 80's side-scrolling fighting games because it's so ironic it's cool?

It doesn't sound so much shallow as old fashioned. Gaming is "cool" now, remember? Well, maybe not the type of gaming that is usually discussed here...

Anyway, I know a bunch of girls who are game developers or studying to become game developers, and most of them are attractive and at least none of them are dogs. Some of them do the anime T-shirt thing though, but that's it.

EDIT: As for working in the games industry, I suspect it works better for some personalities. Personally, I need tight deadlines and high pressure. I don't only work better with them, I can't even work at all without them. (Bit of a personal epiphany for me there... huh.)

Edited by TrueNeutral

Gaming was a lot more awesome before the cool kids got involved.

*recalls the fat hairy grognard days fondly*

Yes, but they are rare, and the cabin fever tends to scare them away... But I know of a few.

I also know a few of the hair scar overweight types too...

You're not cool in the games industry until you can recite the entire list of op codes from your first computer that you programmed... Today I heard alot about the atari ST that no human should really know.

I'm not cool...

rofl.gifrofl.gif

That was absolutely hilarious, and spot on. Many of the generic points can apply to many other 'dream' jobs to some degree, as well. Hubs used to LOVE pc-tech, networking & programming:learning, keeping up with, building, creating...then it became his job for 20+ years, with the first 12 years being full of 60-80 hr weeks, working weekends & being constantly on-call. Now it's the absolute last thing he wants to do in his spare time.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LOVED that video, and the one Enoch posted. Most dream jobs are anything but it seems. It's funny, I have the job I work now because my last company laid me off. I did not want this job and was just planning on using it to pay bills until something better came along. As fate would have it, I really like the job now. I've had the chance to broaden my knowledge and move more into structural and mechanical engineering (rather than RF/electronic where my education and experience came from) plus it is not all that difficult since so much of it is determine by simple physics. Plus I'm one of less than fifty guys in the US who do what I do. Hmmmm you'd think I'd make more money then.

My last job was high stress and high pressure, always trying to do more with less and do it faster. Not at all unlike game design I guess. I can tell you for sure that was not for me. Personally I don't see how these guys haven't picked up a drinking habit. Can you imagin having to make a Sponge Bob game? :)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell