STEAM!

Rosbjerg

Ahhh Half Life series... That game that always left me kind of confused, because so much of it is incoherant. Now naturally, that doesn't make it all bad, its got pleanty of "we're doing it first", moments. I do find it a chore to play though... And I never liked the gravity gun.

It is pretty much the penultimate example for level and encounter design, as well as natural gameplay progression.

It is pretty much the penultimate example for level and encounter design, as well as natural gameplay progression.
Introduce a challenge. Present that challenge again later with an additional element or elements. Repeat.

It seems so simple.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Vegas 1 and 2 have nothing to do with SWAT 4, though. The tactical FPS genre is dead.

I agree.. SWAT 4 was the last of the (actual) tactical FPSs. Which is a damn shame. L4D is probably the best modern candidate (as opposed to other newer games that claim the title), which tells you how sad the state of affairs is. Not to bash L4D of course, it's a great game >_<

in regards to Steam - I've bought Shogun 2 and Napoleon Total war (as it was dirt cheap a few weekends ago), so I'm kneedeep in arcade-strategy. Shogun is a blast and absolutely recommendable to fans of the series.

Fortune favors the bald.

I got Mass Effect 1, couldn't get into it. Too spoiled by ME2. I can see what people mean when they say it's been 'dumbed down', the Areas are bigger in ME1, you can spend points that compliment the paragon/renegade scores, there are more people to talk to etc. Still, planet exploration is worse, and the sound mixing for the weapons is bad, so are most of the animations. At least ME2 is a solid shooter, ME1 depends on the plot, which was always pretty uninteresting.

I enjoy ME1 a LOT. However, the cheese factor in some of it (especially the little heroic picture of your Sheppard and a planet in the background at the end being exemplary of this) is waaaaay over the top of what ME2 had. ME1 has a stronger villain, more defined enemy, and stronger plot if you simply stick to the core quests.

ME2 has FAAAAAR better gameplay, better writing overall (but much weaker story) with all things centered on a single point of getting together a team to strike back at the bad guys...and I enjoyed it far more. In ME1 I absolutely HATED roaming over planets. I cursed the idea they have of bringing it back for ME3. The Hammerhead is okay...but it brings back too many terrible memories of the Mako. Putting buildings on top of cliffs in ME1 (why the heck do they do that...if you can't just fly in with your ship, and you can't really drive except with a vehicle that bounces like crazy but has wheels that grip like a spider so you actually climb the cliff to get there) made no sense...and they must all use a set module made for colonizations (like the modular homes) because they all have the same layout.

Loved ME2.

Really liked ME1...but ME2 wins out.

Loved what they did with skills and the simplification of inventory. ME1 I had so many items I simply Omnigel'd most of it or got the achievement for over a million credits quite easily. ME2 had a MUCH better inventory system.

I should stop...as I could go on and on about how much I like/liked ME2.

Edited by greylord

Introduce a challenge. Present that challenge again later with an additional element or elements. Repeat.

It seems so simple.

You'd think so, yes.

• 1 month later...

It seems so simple.

Its a chore.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

It seems so simple.

Its a chore.

You're a chore.

It seems so simple.

Its a chore.

You're a chore.

:lol:

It seems so simple.

Its a chore.

You're a chore.

Your face is a chore.

Basically I'm trying to say playing any of the HL series of games is like an unpleasant household task. Something you have to do, but you take no joy in its repetative dull nature.

Tale, like many people in the world, disagree's with me, and hence my discord should be quashed with ridiculous insults.

Basically I'm trying to say playing any of the HL series of games is like an unpleasant household task. Something you have to do, but you take no joy in its repetative dull nature.

Tale, like many people in the world, disagree's with me, and hence my discord should be quashed with ridiculous insults.

Don't worry, I'm sure even an automaton such as yourself will figure out the concept of "fun" in a century or two.

Just chillaxe and trip out with me, man. There's no need for the hostility.

You poor thing. So victimized.

Edited by Tale

Since no one on the Steam forums will answer my question, do by chance any of you here own the X-COM: Complete Pack, or more specifically X-COM: UFO Defense and/or X-COM: Terror From the Deep from the Steam version?

I do... Why?

Since no one on the Steam forums will answer my question, do by chance any of you here own the X-COM: Complete Pack, or more specifically X-COM: UFO Defense and/or X-COM: Terror From the Deep from the Steam version?

I do... Why?

oooh! My understanding is that both UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep are both played in DOSBox. What I am wondering is, if they still include all the original files, and if so, there should be something like the install program INSTALL.EXE or something like that that lists what type of sound or music card you own and can select what one you have. Similar to Ultima VII: The Black Gate:

7971.png

Basically what I want to know is if there is a Roland MT-32 and/or LAPC-1 option to change the music for both games (in this Steam version).

I physically own 2 MT-32's (Old Style and New Style) and have slowly been making recordings of some of these classic games that have MT-32 music and would love to add these 2 games music to my YouTube channel.

If you could check for me I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I do... Why?

oooh! My understanding is that both UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep are both played in DOSBox. What I am wondering is, if they still include all the original files, and if so, there should be something like the install program INSTALL.EXE or something like that that lists what type of sound or music card you own and can select what one you have. Similar to Ultima VII: The Black Gate:

7971.png

Basically what I want to know is if there is a Roland MT-32 and/or LAPC-1 option to change the music for both games (in this Steam version).

I physically own 2 MT-32's (Old Style and New Style) and have slowly been making recordings of some of these classic games that have MT-32 music and would love to add these 2 games music to my YouTube channel.

If you could check for me I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I believe its just the original game running through dosbox.

Here is the screen - Looks like no roland support.

post-24166-1304882997_thumb.jpg

The install files are there- I can screenshot what you get if it would be helpful. Note though, when I ran setup.exe the Roland was NOT listed as a sound card option.

Not tested on the steam version but as Nightshape said, all the re-release xcom versions available are identical. That's also why them not being on GoG is so weird.

Edited by Zoraptor

The install files are there- I can screenshot what you get if it would be helpful. Note though, when I ran setup.exe the Roland was NOT listed as a sound card option.

There should be a separate install file in each games directory (I assume), but I am specifically wanting to check that only the 2 games ally X-COM: UFO Defense and/or X-COM: Terror From the Deep and each of their install files *should* have a MT-32/LAPC-1 option.

When running the INSTALL.EXE you may also need to select a sound card FIRST (Such as Soundblaster for digitized sounds) then possibly an option comes up to select a music card *hopefully*....

Yeah, it's there for both, I forgot that you had to select a sound card first. Selected sb16 and its irqs/dmas etc and the option for a Roland came up.

I can't guarantee that the option will actually work in practice though as I've only ever used the default dosbox set up. But the manual install files do all seem to be there and working.

Edited by Zoraptor

Yeah, it's there for both, I forgot that you had to select a sound card first. Selected sb16 and its irqs/dmas etc and the option for a Roland came up.

I can't guarantee that the option will actually work in practice though as I've only ever used the default dosbox set up. But the manual install files do all seem to be there and working.

OK! Thank you! That's all I needed to know. And yeah, there is no guarantee it will work, I just hope they left all the original files in, so It should work. *crosses fingers*