The Vatican advocates for genetic engineering to feed the world's poor

Humodour

>If anything it saved far more knowledge than it buried in that time.

>If it wasn't for monks/priest studding/coping ancient texts literacy could well have been lost completely in Europe.

I agree. But only part of the story. The other aspect is they HORDED the 'lost' knowledge. Only those in the clergy were educated with the knowledge they saved. The reason being is because a ignorant population is easier to control then by those who are well read. As they question authority much more then those uneducated.

> No witch-hunts took place at the same time that Jews were expelled. That begun as part of enlightenment movement brought on with renaissance, they were also not directed by church and happened rarely in Spain.

Seems you are being a bit apologetic for the church. While most of the inquisition 'trials' (for show) and 'interrogations' (torture) were handed at the local level the church certainly helped add fuel to the fire indirectly just as they do today. They printed books on how to identify witches (aka pagans, herbal healers, lore keepers, midwives, etc) and certainly didn't step in to stop it when their local clergy took part or egged it on from a far. Just like today... Oh.. we didn't tell him to go shoot up that abortion clinic. Well just because we DO teach those doctors are evil and deserve to die to don't -really- mean it.. how were we supposed to know.. etc..

They have been playing that game for ages.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

While I think it is extremely important to understand the corruption and damage that the Catholic Church caused in the Middle Ages, I think it is also important to remember the Church was tied to nearly everything that was happening in Europe at the time. Copernicus was put through school by his Uncle, who was a bishop, and spent time as a Church canon. Theology was the bread and butter of most Universities at the time. It is really impossible to separate the Church from the Renaissance and the Scientific Revolution, it played a key role, for better or worse.

Interesting point. Wasn't Mendel a monk?

Interesting (?) fact: Mendel almost certainly cheated and fudged his results.

(Forgivable, as he was right. But his results were far too consistently good to be genuine experimental results)

Damn, I've been soundly rebuked. Oh well.

Note to self: don't post while on Nyquil.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Let's not forget all the kid-touching priests.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"I do think a preliminary stoning would be warranted, just to get them to the repentant stage." :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If I said that be 5 posts claiming I am a Christan hater... LOL Glad to know you (and prob most others who bring these topics up) get a get out of jail free card. :lol:

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

If I said that be 5 posts claiming I am a Christan hater... LOL Glad to know you (and prob most others who bring these topics up) get a get out of jail free card. :lol:

That is because you would place the blame on the whole of Christendom, instead of where it belongs, upon the Catholic Church's leadership.

"I do think a preliminary stoning would be warranted, just to get them to the repentant stage." :lol:

I got scared at the point where they said they'd gather up animals and toss em in a well to practice baptisms...

That said, the church also recently changed it's stance on condom use mainly over the Aids epidemic.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The point isn't to defend the church but too notice that we have an unfortunate tendency to look for scapegoats, especially in past events.

This quickly leads to popularization of unbalanced views regarding history.

There is a lot of bad that can be said about the actions/policies in Christianity and catholic church in particular but relatively few people seem aware of all the advances they brought to western civilization.

If I said that be 5 posts claiming I am a Christan hater... LOL Glad to know you (and prob most others who bring these topics up) get a get out of jail free card. :)

That is because you would place the blame on the whole of Christendom, instead of where it belongs, upon the Catholic Church's leadership.

As I have implied and pointed fingers in past posts, I do blame the leadership.. clearly. Go back and read my posts.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente