Darksiders

Humodour

I just purchased this game on Steam for $40 USD. For a AAA-style action title with an on-the-face-of-it generic high-fantasy IP designed for consoles it has surprisingly strong and satisfied critical reaction from fans and reviewers (both casual and hardcore). Basic premise: You are War, horseman of the apocalypse, and you "embark on an epic quest of revenge and redemption".

Compare the Metacritic score for Darksides to that of Halo 1 or Oblivion and you can see the review ratings are justified (for Halo and Oblivion for example, reviewers were clearly paid off, because you can see customers actually gave them both **** ratings - not so for Darksiders):

Darksiders: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/darksiders

Halo 1: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/halo-combat-evolved

Oblivion: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elde...lls-iv-oblivion

Without spoiling any plot elements (or you do, use spoiler tags), who here has played it and what did you think? Obviously I've bought it either way but once it's finished downloading I'm going to want to discuss it. :)

As a final note, the PC port is considered superior to the original console version it seems. :ermm:

It's a dumb third person actioner with horrible art and plot. You are War, one of the four horsemen of Apocalypse, tasked with collecting the souls of cars, trees and parking meters in order to become stronger and defeat generic evil.

It's loads of hectic fun so far. :ermm:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's a dumb third person actioner with horrible art and plot. You are War, one of the four horsemen of Apocalypse, tasked with collecting the souls of cars, trees and parking meters in order to become stronger and defeat generic evil.

It's loads of hectic fun so far. :)

That I disagree with immensly. Its not Madureiras best work but seriously. Perfectly good comic art. Also the plot isn't anywhere near horrible especially in gaming terms and the dialouge writing is actually pretty good. Mark Hamills charachter as usual is the best one. :ermm:

In terms of all Action games released this gen. Darksiders my favourite.

tasked with collecting the souls of cars, trees and parking meters

This however is incredibly true. :) Though a widespreed mechanic in the gerne.

No. That would be DMC.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's a great game. After I beat it I noticed my officemate from Ensemble was on the QA team.

The sequel supposedly won't follow War, opting for a different horseman during the same time period.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

When discussing that it would occur during the same time period, Bilson said "There's only one apocalypse -- I couldn't very well have four different apocalypses, one for each rider."

That seems to imply the franchise will focus on playing as horsemen.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i hate bayonetta and dmc and god of war, but i love zelda games...

would I like darksiders?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

that.... is a very good idea....

thanks!

(why do i always forget demo's exist...)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It's probably the only good Zelda clone ever. Personally I loved the art style, but the combat was somewhat monotonous.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Umm, so this is a discussion about Metacritic?

Oh and it's usually raging and/or trolling fanboys that give games bad ratings on Metacritic, perhaps Darksiders didn't spark enough passion for anyone to care?

Purkake... Saying it how it is.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!