Geography

Raithe

For a truly random thing... I was just pondering on those places that could be considered famous locations/areas but aren't actually something specific to a country.. Those places that you can say the name, and it immediately conjures up the image/idea of the place.

ie: The Congo, The Amazon, The Black Forest, The Himalayas, The Sahari Desert... possibly the Golden Triangle (but that's an artificial one..)

Which led me to trying to consider how many places like that there are in the world.. but my minds pulling a blank.

So I thought I'd sit down and try some google-fu and wiki-fu to see what might be there..but then realised I didn't have an accurate way to describe that type of subject to search for.

I'm curious as to how people would consider describing that collective group.. or suggestions as to other places that might fall in that type of list....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, the Nile would be one. I was thinking more of the natural features/locations then man-made ones... Victoria Falls maybe..

And it was bugging me that I couldn't put a proper "classification" as to what I was thinking about :)

Edit:

Plus the man-made place like Machu Pichu, The Pyramids, Angkor Wat while grand in one sense don't have the same... sprawling, epic-ness .

And yes, it really bugs me when I can't verbalise my thoughts properly >_<

Edited by Raithe

The Grand Canyon, Antarctica, Milford Sound, The Great Barrier Reef, The Jungles of Borneo... lots of places.

For less epic and much more unusual places I would love to see Ten Strange Places

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The only thing Yellowstone immediately brings to mind for me is that godawful ****ing smell.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yeah, the whole.. wonder of the natural world tends to be more of a specific single feature rather then the sort of.. expansive area.

I tend to think some place like Iguazu Falls which spreads out and consists of many features.. sort of falls into what I'm thinking of..

While Everest or the like are places within the area..

The toilets at the ferry terminal in Stranraer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You have lead a disturbing life :thumbsup:

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You have lead a disturbing life :(

LOL I just meant that they sum up the town.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.