Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Valve + CDR = Not gonna happen. Both pursue too different goals.

So, CDR isn't pursuing the goal of "make money through selling videogames?"

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They posted an update:

UPDATE 20.09.2010

First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

If they're closing-up shop, then I don't think that they would announce that everyone will have unlimited access to download games previously purchased; that wouldn't be consistent with the technical closure that would come with business closure, obviously, unless if they've rigged a legal deal to allow such a "mass withdrawal" so to speak. Again, I think this is just PR stunt... or not. :sorcerer:

Steam buying GoG? That wouldn't make any sense. Steam can just offer the same stuff as Gog does.

Sure it would. Then Valve'd be the only ones selling the games, not competing with somebody else. Somebody with no DRM, maybe? :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I guess we have to wait until Wed. to find out. Either that, or they'll keep "teasing" us with more ambiguous statements. :o

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nothing like a ridiculous marketing stunt to lose goodwill.

Oh come on, it made everyone look, and talk about it...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

As much as how frustrating of a tease this is, I'd have to say that this marketing stunt, whatever it might hold, has been incredibly effective. It's made everyone jump up and take notice... exactly what PR campaigns are designed to do. Granted, it's quite a jarring thing to do, but nonetheless effective.