Windows 7 administrator rights question

Pope

I just installed Win7 on my pc, and so far my only gripe with it is that I need to grant adminstrator rights for just about any action I want to perform. It's quite a hassle having to push enter after everything I do. Since I'm the only person using this pc, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically grant these rights for all actions?

Interesting. Is it working for you? Does that just disable the popup warnings, or does it also mean that programs will install with admin privileges if they need them etc?

I've been getting around a lot of stuff so far by r-clicking on the exe and picking 'run as administrator.' But it is an extra little step...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It would, that is sort of the point of it.

But if you're not scare of virus, then it's can be disabled. I have it on, but I have never turned down an install, so no virus has tried to install on my computer. So practically it's pointless for me, but I'm used to it by now so it gets to stay.

@LadyCrimson In Vista, if you disabled UAC it was gone and you never had to asl for admin rights. If you turn off notifications completely in Windows 7, I think it works the same way. A colleague of mine said it did, so I think it does.

K, thanks. I think I'll leave it alone then. I don't mind the small extra step in return for more control over what I wish to give admin rights access to.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I left it enabled, and got used to it in a few days. It's quite a handy reminder regarding general peril. At least it stops every two bit corporation hijacking my bloody computer every ten minutes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You people do know there are other levels between off and get a prompt for every little action? I have mine set as the default which is one tick below 'make noise for everything'. Its not that intrusive and only alerts me when a app is going to install or make changes to core windows files. Unless im installing something I never notice it. Theres a total of 4 levels of the UAC you can config the sensitivity to how you like. As a IT guy id STRONGLY suggest you not disable it.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

You people do know there are other levels between off and get a prompt for every little action? I have mine set as the default which is one tick below 'make noise for everything'. Its not that intrusive and only alerts me when a app is going to install or make changes to core windows files. Unless im installing something I never notice it. Theres a total of 4 levels of the UAC you can config the sensitivity to how you like. As a IT guy id STRONGLY suggest you not disable it.

Yes, that's what I have mine set to, from the very beginning.

It's not that intrusive, but it's still a bit annoying, to me, to be constantly asked, precisely because I already know the risks & if I click on something, it's because I've already decided.

But I understand I'm not the 'user type' those warnings are made for, so I live with it, and every once in a great while it even comes in handy. :ermm:

Edited by LadyCrimson

I've switched mine off and leave it to my Kaspersky application control to keep the running software in a leash. Quite revealing what some programs try to do every now and then, from writing hidden registry keys to trying to "phone home". I just don't trust programmers :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
I've switched mine off and leave it to my Kaspersky application control to keep the running software in a leash. Quite revealing what some programs try to do every now and then, from writing hidden registry keys to trying to "phone home". I just don't trust programmers :ermm:
Indeed.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.