Portal invades college curriculum

Purkake

Also, it was released as a $20 game.

Which is good, but still doesn't take away the fact that it feels underdeveloped.

Not every game has the budget of a AAA game and yet they delivered a classic with limited resources. Perfect way to make a game if you ask me, maybe you have become accustomed to the glitz of the big developers.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Also, it was released as a $20 game.

Which is good, but still doesn't take away the fact that it feels underdeveloped.

Not every game has the budget of a AAA game and yet they delivered a classic with limited resources. Perfect way to make a game if you ask me, maybe you have become accustomed to the glitz of the big developers.

...Ok, I understand. You still haven't read it.

And I honestly could care less about the budget. I don't make differences about the level design between AAA releases and indies. I'm not sure why I should for Portal.

EDIT : Just to clarify I enjoyed Portal. Of course, anything less than gushing about it is perceived as unforgivable criticism, so I'm sure adding this won't change your minds but still..

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

... how did it feel underdevelopped? It was a small gimmicky game with a good ending that wrapped things up nicely. You're essentially saying it's not a 10 hour AAA game with a full script and voice actors.

I don't make differences about the level design between AAA releases and indies. I'm not sure why I should for Portal.

Portal wasn't indie, it was just an extra with the Orange Box. You *should* make a difference here. :sorcerer:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It was a small gimmicky game

That's exactly the problem. I don't like gimmicky games.

So your problem with it was personal, not because it was actually underdeveloped.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Portal was a nice short and self-contained game, the gameplay and story were nicely connected, GLaDOS was a multi-dimensional character, and it had some nice subtext about games in general. Plus it did some not in-your-face humor which is pretty rare in games these days.

A gimmick is something that's added for the sake of it or not fully utilized. Portal was built around the portal gun and well... portals. I think it explored the possibilities pretty thoroughly.

Edited by Purkake

It was a small gimmicky game

That's exactly the problem. I don't like gimmicky games.

So your problem with it was personal, not because it was actually underdeveloped.

It was gimmicky exactly because its gameplay elements weren't really developed.

I could care less about more voice acting, the memes were already old when I played the game.

One day you might look through your post history and realize you have become the very thing you've been fighting against, Volourn.

Real answer is : I still think my points were fair, even if my expectations may have been too high. Even good things should be criticized, that has always been my philosphy. I regularly criticize game I enjoyed far more than Portal, I don't see why I should keep my mouth shout about it.

You could also try to expand on your points...

Why did you feel that the game was gimmicky? They did quite a few things with the portals and many puzzles had multiple solutions.

It being too short is obviously a personal preference and not an objective criticism, the story was wrapped up and you can't argue about the value since it was $20/free.

EDIT: Obviously you're free to dislike it and I'm not trying to change your mind, but if you want to criticise it, back up your arguments.

Edited by Purkake

Honestly, I've already backed up my point with an example (the rocket launchers I'm referring too are the one that appear by the endgame, see the one that you have to use to hurt GlaDoS), and I pretty much felt like that for almost any addition to the gameplay. They were rarely mixed up and used cleverly. If you don't feel like that good for you, but I don't really feel like I have to expand more on that.