Obsidian IRC/Chat

Most communities usually have an IRC, or at least some other chat client. Anyone else think this would be a good idea for this forum?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't really know how to set up an IRC. I think I'd need a server? Or can I just set up an Obs channel on some basic IRC server?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't really know how to set up an IRC. I think I'd need a server? Or can I just set up an Obs channel on some basic IRC server?

Just start a channel on some popular server. Such as quakenet or stratics. And then try to get a bot there :(

Hate the living, love the dead.

I guess we can start with this, just choose a nickname and type "/join #Obsidian". If enough people join or like the idea I can get something better or more appropriate.

http://chat.stratics.com/sponsoredchat.html

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

heh, anyone else remember Black Isle's IRC channel?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

yup. I got banned and that's how we created #Mistresslair. :ermm:

You should actually create the #Obsidian on the GameSurge network (irc.gamesurge.net). That network is already in the list of servers with mIRC.

I tried this with Tigranes, Pidesco, Pop, Deraldin, some others a while back on quakenet.

It died. What we really need is some official endorsement from Obsid, like a link at the top of this forum's template. At least a sticky thread in WoT or something.

WILL: Are the you admin for that channel? Have you reserved that channel with a bot? You should elect at least one other admin and a mod or two in case you die or go on holidays or whatnot.

Yep! It was frequented by some devs, which was nice.

It was also frequented by a lot of other people and somedays it was a pain to be an op there. :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I tried this with Tigranes, Pidesco, Pop, Deraldin, some others a while back on quakenet.

It died. What we really need is some official endorsement from Obsid, like a link at the top of this forum's template. At least a sticky thread in WoT or something.

WILL: Are the you admin for that channel? Have you reserved that channel with a bot? You should elect at least one other admin and a mod or two in case you die or go on holidays or whatnot.

I know nothing about hosting an irc channel and no I don't think I'm an admin or have a bot.

Really, I was mostly hoping for Obs to make a dedicated chat. :(

I can ask for this to be done, there's a decent chance.

I can ask for this to be done, there's a decent chance.

Please do so.

Atm there's 4 peops in stratics with some others that pop in.

We'll stick in stratics for now and just move everyone over to Quakenet (ideal IMHO) or wherever the permanent destination is if we get one (I say this because Will doesn't seem to have control of ChanServ).

Edited by Krezack

Wake me up when you hit quakenet, I need another server in Colloquy like... well, something I need very little of.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif