Not Related to AP per say; Why does everyone hate DRM?

People can (and do) pirate console games too.

Regardless, you're very clear on your position of not liking BioWare's game style, writing, and so forth. There are a lot of people that do, and to these people free Day One DLC is a definite positive to these people. Sounds like some of them post on this very board for that matter.

And even focusing on the PC, I'm still exceptionally skeptical that the release of DLC undermine's BioWare's cause any significant shape. Maybe for those such as yourself that don't really care for BioWare writing and design. It's probably no real skin off BioWare's back to release DLC for the PC if they're already doing it for the consoles, and you know they'd get heavily criticized if they didn't bother releasing the DLC for the PC.

Quite the contrary, I am a fan. Doesn't change the fact that BW is not known for good DLCs ;)

Pirated console games but not the extra content; mods.

Look at it this way, you don't buy a cereal because of the toy at the bottom. So when the time comes to buy another brand of cereal the toy isn't going to make a difference. Day One DLC is used for Pre-Orders, but basically you can get all that content pirated which is the only way you are going to have them all. My point is that they don't make a difference, is a nice way to show a thank you for your loyalty but has no value beyond the sentimental.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Quite the contrary, I am a fan. Doesn't change the fact that BW is not known for good DLCs

I misunderstood your perspective of Mass Effect then I guess. You certainly give off the impression that you don't care for BioWare's writing in that regard.

Look at it this way, you don't buy a cereal because of the toy at the bottom.

Actually I have. Shreddies are gross! :nuke:

The Witcher initially had a DVD-check, but it was removed in the latest patch. And it requires online activation of the game only to install patches.

The Witcher originally also had a strict requirements check that wouldn't allow the game to play and the TAGES protections which I'm very critical of. Specially since it made the game crash every hour.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What the hell is DRM? A video game?

Right, Google (and in this case, Wikipedia) is your friend.

But I think in this discussion (and in general) it stands for "any and all types of copy protection, especially the annoying ones"

All you need to know:

Some of them limit your usage of the product you just BOUGHT, in one way or another, and some of them are simply minor nuisances. For the legit customers, that is. Pirates don't suffer from it.

Now you decide if that's a beneficial business strategy.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

You wouldn't believe it, but these days you can search for stuff on the internet! :thumbsup:

And you wouldn't believe what a naive search can accidentally turn up! :lol: The man asked a civil question, you know.

@Nihilius:

DRM is a class of systems ostensibly intended to control and enforce the rights of a creator in the digital medium. So music, film, gaming etc rendered electronically. A fierce debate exists over the way in which DRM has developed, because many in the industry feel it is appropriate to exert control over the material by exerting control over the platform used to access the material.

My opinion is that using the access platform for DRM is reliant on two false assumptions. Firstly that the material is unchanged by the time it reaches the platform. Secondly that the behaviour of the platform will remain static/predictable and interface reliably with your material. That both assumptions are false is evident from the widely accepted fact that DRM in this format has not halted violation of digital rights on related material.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Reading thru the thread...I found the Spore comments interesting. I didn't even notice the DRM on that one (tho I was aware it had some). Didn't do anything noticeable to my system in terms of blocking abilities anywhere, but I'd certainly be PO'd if it had. Was that a DRM bug that affected certain systems or something?

Which goes back to the problem that DRM w/pc games that have to deal w/so many configs is always going to be problematic.

I personally don't mind some basic copyright protection measures...say, online confirmation ONCE, when you first install a game (not every time you start the game, and not 24/7 like Ubisoft)...with the option to snail mail it in if you don't have 'net access (which would suck, but at least the option is there)...but DRM has become way out of hand & unreasonable vs. it's potential true effectiveness.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts