The man speaks the truth, but no one listens

Wrath of Dagon

You know, that one should really be in spoiler tags with a health warning. If Americans click on it, they'll have cardiac arrests, seizures, whatever ;)

The rates are comparatively high, but most U.S. states (and many cities) have sales taxes that total in the 5-10% range. It differs from a VAT because it is only assessed on the total price at the final point of sale (so, for example, wholesaler-to-retailer sales are untaxed), but it is similar in effect.

Methods of taxation vary by government level in the U.S., but generally, Federal taxes are income taxes, State taxes are sales and/or income taxes (usually some combination of the two, but some states have all one or the other), and municipality/county taxes are property and/or sales taxes.

What our voters and politicians need to realize is that if we want European levels of social services, we're going to have to pay European level taxes as well. Of course here we always want to have our cake and eat it too.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Jesus Christ.

Tell me about it.. I seriously cannot imagine the amount of money our government rakes in with 25% added to every single purchase.. it scares me at times.

You know, lot of benefits European countries have compared to other countries, have very high cost, and they had to be paid somehow, i do not like the high VAT neither, but last time i had car accident and spent 42 days in hospital, i think it cost our government more than i had ever paid with all the VAT purchases i had... if i ended in hospital in an unnamed non-EU country... i would surely end up bankrupt, and could just shot myself in the head right after leaving the hospital...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

With all this stuf about reckless share trading, does anyone know if VAT is put on share trades? Because I think it ought to be.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

if i ended in hospital in an unnamed non-EU country... i would surely end up bankrupt, and could just shot myself in the head right after leaving the hospital...
No ****, Sherlock. Obviously, after years of paying insane taxes, you are left without the resources to face such an eventuality. You expect the state to cover your butt - which unsurprisingly, it can't do in your example.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If it wasn't for socialize medicine one of our greatest minds of the modern era would not have lived as long as he has. Stephen Hawking. That alone is a major plus for socialized medicine in my book.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

if i ended in hospital in an unnamed non-EU country... i would surely end up bankrupt, and could just shot myself in the head right after leaving the hospital...
No ****, Sherlock. Obviously, after years of paying insane taxes, you are left without the resources to face such an eventuality. You expect the state to cover your butt - which unsurprisingly, it can't do in your example.

It did... And i have accumulated enough resources to have own big flat, own car, and i have no mortgage (or how it is called) and not a single EUR of debt :) Can you say that of yourself Mr.NoWelfareHealthcare ;)

And it still make me happy that when **** hits the fan, all the money i payed to our welfare medical care can save my ass in a hospital when i get an heart attack and the i get heart surgery worth of 100.000+ EUR and i do not pay a single dime...

If it wasn't for socialize medicine one of our greatest minds of the modern era would not have lived as long as he has. Stephen Hawking. That alone is a major plus for socialized medicine in my book.

So i take it you assume my survival was not down to the NHS, but my preternatural skillz?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just wait till the ****ing LHC destroys the earth because Hawking said it couldn't.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So i take it you assume my survival was not down to the NHS, but my preternatural skillz?

Nah, you are just icing on the cake, and the cake is a lie but the frosting is divine.

:)

;)

Icing. Frosting.

:blink:

I just realize that cake descriptors make me feel cold.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It did... And i have accumulated enough resources to have own big flat, own car, and i have no mortgage (or how it is called) and not a single EUR of debt ;) Can you say that of yourself Mr.NoWelfareHealthcare :)

And it still make me happy that when **** hits the fan, all the money i payed to our welfare medical care can save my ass in a hospital when i get an heart attack and the i get heart surgery worth of 100.000+ EUR and i do not pay a single dime...

Uh... what exactly are you trying to prove? That your Euro tax regime is responsible for your privileged financial situation?

You first said that if you had had to receive medical attention in a non-EU country, you'd be so broke your only option would be suicide. But now you say that's actually not the case - this negates your original point, or is simply a non sequitur. You need to either stop rambling, stop making stuff up to push your point, or a combination of both.

And no, I don't have a flat. I don't need one, as I spend most of my time cruising around in my 100m yacht. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nah, you are just icing on the cake, and the cake is a lie but the frosting is divine.

:thumbsup:

:)

Icing. Frosting.

:blink:

I just realize that cake descriptors make me feel cold.

Well they make me feel hungry. _Cold_?

EDIT: Ooooooh. ;)

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Uh... what exactly are you trying to prove? That your Euro tax regime is responsible for your privileged financial situation?

You first said that if you had had to receive medical attention in a non-EU country, you'd be so broke your only option would be suicide. But now you say that's actually not the case - this negates your original point, or is simply a non sequitur. You need to either stop rambling, stop making stuff up to push your point, or a combination of both.

And no, I don't have a flat. I don't need one, as I spend most of my time cruising around in my 100m yacht. :p

Actualy i was saying, that because, i am the only black sheep of my family, which does not work in Health Care industry, because i chosen IT career, that i am pretty much happy, that i can pay VAT so i can get free medical healthcare, because it's at the end cheaper, at least for the members of population which earn less than 1 million EUR per year ;)

Believe me, i do know very very good how much health care costs and how much is the industry profitable ;)

The NYT already looked into this. In the US the average pay for healthcare was about 2 grand. in the UK, we get roughly comparable care for 800. These figures are obviously going to be a bit rough and ready, but the simplest question is whether US healthcare is twice as good as the UK's and the answer in my experience is NO.

-Elwood Blues

There would be no way I could pay that. They would probably just let me die on the emergency room floor like so many have already.

That isn't the way our hospitals work.

Really?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/waiting.r...eath/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3273239&page=1

And that is just after a quick search. Who knows how many times this has happen and the hospitals successfully covered it up.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

That reminds me, I got my hospital bill the other day. For my lovely two night stay, the bill was $75,000. Luckily I have double health coverage.

The ambulance ride was $1700.

Wow, what did they do to you for that much?