An update on nuclear fusion

Humodour

They can already produce fusion using a "Tokamak" type reactor at J.E.T, but thus far they've only run it for very short stints at a time. But it does definently looks like there is a good chance we'll live to experience Fusion power being used outside of a laboraty for experimental purpouses.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

...having visions of cars doing the "miniature mushroom cloud" thing when crashing and their fusion cells ruptures... :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Looks like they're closing in on a solution on how to trigger the reaction without using more energy than is produced. Currently they only really have the lasers they mentioned or then triggering a fission reaction to start a fusion reaction. And even then the fusion reaction eats it's fuel pretty fast.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

...having visions of cars doing the "miniature mushroom cloud" thing when crashing and their fusion cells ruptures... :huh:

I doubt you'll ever see nuclear fusion in cars. Likely the electricity produced by fusion will be stored in hydrogen fuel cells which are in turn used by cars.

Not that you were serious. :)

I think it's tremendous. Makes you proud to be human. Can a giraffe make a ****ing star? I think not.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

We'll run out of oil before any of this can get from the drawing board.

So what? Oh no, we'll have to use the immense reserves of Thorium, Plutonium, solar, wind, geothermal, hydro, biofuel algae, natural gas, or coal. However will we survive?!

We wont.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

So what? Oh no, we'll have to use the immense reserves of Thorium, Plutonium, solar, wind, geothermal, hydro, biofuel algae, natural gas, or coal. However will we survive?!

We wont.

Of course dear.

Boo's a ****ing ray of sunshine, isn't he?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You do realize that almost all plastic we use today is oil based, right? Try to imagine a world without plastic for a second. When we run out of oil, there's more than transportation that needs to be altered.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You do realize that almost all plastic we use today is oil based, right? Try to imagine a world without plastic for a second. When we run out of oil, there's more than transportation that needs to be altered.

Don't even bother bringing it up. Every chemistry class I've done since 2004 has in some way covered plastics and polymers. :(

For a start, only something like 2% of all oil is used to manufacture plastics. Moreover, even with oil being uneconomical to use as a fuel source (which is what we're REALLY talking about here), I've read that that will barely interefere with plastic manufacture prices, and that even if it should, we have lower-grade hydrocarbons we cen resort to.

And that's ignoring biological polymers which plastics are starting to be made from (I know my shampoo and some food containers are, and you can't tell the difference). The most common one is probably polylactic acid (PLA), trailing that is I guess polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB). Not to mention that it's trivial to convert ethanol into the the polyethylene (plastic bags) monomer, ethylene.

I'm hoping we'll have to go back to using wood. I loved all those old wood things. Grow trees, trap carbon, turn it into stuff. Genius.

-Elwood Blues

For a start, only something like 2% of all oil is used to manufacture plastics. Moreover, even with oil being uneconomical to use as a fuel source (which is what we're REALLY talking about here), I've read that that will barely interefere with plastic manufacture prices, and that even if it should, we have lower-grade hydrocarbons we cen resort to.

And that's ignoring biological polymers which plastics are starting to be made from (I know my shampoo and some food containers are, and you can't tell the difference). The most common one is probably polylactic acid (PLA), trailing that is I guess polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB). Not to mention that it's trivial to convert ethanol into the the polyethylene (plastic bags) monomer, ethylene.

The problem isn't that we don't have anything to replace it with, it's that it's not economically feasible to do it. If it was, we'd done it already. And 2% sounds little as a percentage.. but apply that to the world's total oil consumption and you'll find that it's NOT little at all. It's a couple of billion tons of plastic! PER YEAR. All that will have to be replaced by something else. The problem is not trivial.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!