People in England, give me suggestions!

Shryke

so i have a friend currently in England and she's offering to bring back some duty free booze for me

now i think this is a prime opportunity to try out some interesting new booze i can't find here in NZ

i'm a big fan of whiskey, but for the most part all we really get here is generic stuff like Jack Daniels

so basically, what's a really nice (preferably double malt) whiskey i can get her to bring back for me?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Why blended malt and not single malt?

i do like both, and usually drink single malt, but i want to experiment a bit

but none the less, if you have a suggestion for a good single malt then i'm all ears :sorcerer:

The Scotch I've had recently that I was most impressed with is Oban (the 14-year). It's nicely balanced-- both geographically and flavor-wise, it is roughly midway between the dry, smoke-heavy island malts, and the sweeter, lighter Highland malts.

The Scotch I've had recently that I was most impressed with is Oban (the 14-year). It's nicely balanced-- both geographically and flavor-wise, it is roughly midway between the dry, smoke-heavy island malts, and the sweeter, lighter Highland malts.

i'm more a fan of the smokier tasting stuff, but that sounds like it could be pretty good

i may tell her to keep an eye out and see if she can find it. She did say that if all else failed she'd stop by the whiskey store in Heathrow on her way back to NZ

Depending on what you're looking for.. how many traditional ales have you tried?

i've experimented quite a bit with beer

it all depends what sort of mood i'm in. Sometimes i quite like a nice dark ale, sometimes i'm more in the mood for a nice light pilsner or lager

but i don't want to inconvenience her too much. I'll just get her to bring me a single bottle of spirits or something - preferably whiskey :sorcerer:

Why blended malt and not single malt?

i do like both, and usually drink single malt, but i want to experiment a bit

but none the less, if you have a suggestion for a good single malt then i'm all ears :sorcerer:

People often think of blended whisky as inferior to single malt whisky. I found it surprising that you did not share the same prejudice, especially since you're looking for something "special"...

Anyway, if you're looking for something that's perhaps new to you, I'd recommend anything, but especially the more aged whiskies, from the Talisker distillery. Their whiskies tend to be a little bit stronger (in alcohol) than others, and they swap the often so distinguishable smoky "first impression" or smell (although they are of course still very smoky compared to most whiskies) for a short but distinct peaty, very rich flavour with hints of pepper. But that's all single malt.

I don't know a lot about blended malt whisky, since I'm only really used to all the big brands - and if you're looking for something new you must have already tried those.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Guest The Architect

Something you wouldn't have in NZ Kiwi Jesus is Limeburners whiskey, West Aussie made, but then why would the Brits have it, so I don't know what to recommend because you've probably tried the different malts, meads, Conecuh ridge whiskey, Jack Daniels, Real McCoy, McKenna, Wild Turkey, Makers Mark etc. I don't deviate too much from Jack/Turkey, but out of the bourbons I'm familiar with, give Makers Mark a go if you haven't tried it.

I suppose instead of payment you're just going to thank your friend for this amirite? :-

Something you wouldn't have in NZ Kiwi Jesus is Limeburners whiskey, West Aussie made, but then why would the Brits have it, so I don't know what to recommend because you've probably tried the different malts, meads, Conecuh ridge whiskey, Jack Daniels, Real McCoy, McKenna, Wild Turkey, Makers Mark etc. I don't deviate too much from Jack/Turkey, but out of the bourbons I'm familiar with, give Makers Mark a go if you haven't tried it.

I suppose instead of payment you're just going to thank your friend for this amirite? :-

I think that going with a Bourbon would defeat the point, to a certain degree. Bourbons are American products-- Shryke is talking about duty-free shopping in the UK, so presumably he's looking for recommendations on booze from Ol' Blighty. (Also, Wild Turkey Rye > Wild Turkey Bourbon.)

@Shryke, if you're focused on a blend, the high-end Johnny Walkers are very good. Or, among Irish whiskeys, try Midleton. Very smooth (but very pricey).

I suppose instead of payment you're just going to thank your friend for this amirite? :)

heh well we do have what you could call a "friendship of convenience" :)

@Shryke, if you're focused on a blend, the high-end Johnny Walkers are very good. Or, among Irish whiskeys, try Midleton. Very smooth (but very pricey).

i have tried all the different label Johnny Walkers, but not Middleton, so maybe that's worth a shot :-

I think that going with a Bourbon would defeat the point, to a certain degree. Bourbons are American products-- Shryke is talking about duty-free shopping in the UK, so presumably he's looking for recommendations on booze from Ol' Blighty. (Also, Wild Turkey Rye > Wild Turkey Bourbon.)

Ditto what Enoch said. If you must have blended try Johnny Walker Blue Label or Glenfiddich. Do not ask her for bourbon, it's not English and Enoch said. Plus if it did not come from the state of Kentucky, it will suck. England makes at least 1000 different brands of Gin, but I've never been a big fan of that spirit. My choice for Scotch (admittedly not a big drinker of that either) is hands down Isle of Skye single malt by Talisker. It's rich and spicy and goes really great with cigars. It's a little hard to come by where I live now but in Miami imports were more common and I had it a few times. Thats my $.02.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My choice for Scotch (admittedly not a big drinker of that either) is hands down Isle of Skye single malt by Talisker. It's rich and spicy and goes really great with cigars. It's a little hard to come by where I live now but in Miami imports were more common and I had it a few times. Thats my $.02.

ooh maybe i'll go for that

my family's originally from the Isle of Skye :-

Talisker's certainly peaty. BUt frankly if you're going to go peaty I say go all the way - Ardbeg. However, given how sociable the gentleman is I would suggest any of the Balvenies. Plus I know the portwood Balvenie was on sale at Duty Free when I went through. It's mild and a little sweet with tonnes of other subtle flavours.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

huzzah! multiple suggestions ftw

i've told her to surprise me and just pick whichever one she wants, and the rest shall be slowly investigated over time as i find them