BF Bad Company 2

So, I checked out the beta today and it has promise. Good environment, decent shooting, and impressive destruction. I find playing FPS with a console controller hopelessly awkward, but once I got past that I enjoyed myself. Moving around and picking people off is satisfying, and the overall atmosphere feels pretty much like a war movie.

I will definitely be interested when it releases, but definitely PC version for me.

Dedicated Servers will no doubt be huge, in an era of PC shooters that seem to think it's unimportant.

I'm withholding judgment on the balance of the rogue class thus far. Flanking is pretty effective, though the ghillie suit used by the recon class seems kind of wasted in the desert and without prone. I did satchel a couple of crewed tanks as assault though, which felt pretty sneaky.

Maybe this is the game that will finally render CODMW2 obsolete? If only Nightshape would reveal the truth to us... :shifty:

In terms of technology, definately, without a doubt.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

MW2 is built on the old Quake3 engine so thats a no-brainer. But BFBC was friggin awesome, this should just be more of the same. And finally EA stopped being insane and realised that a classic non-consoleish FPS should be released for PC aswell. The first game was like:

"We have a super mario platform jumping game wth waggle elements... I have a great idea, lets NOT release it on the Wii"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is (probably) the only pure FPS I'm interested in this year. I played the first one on a PS3 and it rocked (although I sucked with the controller).

Blowing stuff to pieces, bit by bit, is so damn satisfying! Let's hope this will be better than Red Faction: Guerilla.. which was good, but oddly unengaging.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Maybe this is the game that will finally render CODMW2 obsolete? If only Nightshape would reveal the truth to us... :shifty:

Oh, that's all you meant, how boring. Lesser technology won't stop the juggernaut that is CoD.

Maybe this is the game that will finally render CODMW2 obsolete? If only Nightshape would reveal the truth to us... :(

Oh, that's all you meant, how boring. Lesser technology won't stop the juggernaut that is CoD.

Not specifically, but I can't talk about it ;)

Blowing stuff to pieces, bit by bit, is so damn satisfying! Let's hope this will be better than Red Faction: Guerilla.. which was good, but oddly unengaging.

RFG didnt have much in the way of story or things happening to keep you interested. It was just repeating the same thing over and over in every new area. I got bored halfway through the second area when I realised it wasnt going to get any better.

COD is still built upon the Q3 engine?

That it is. Which is why you get odd things like fps dependant hit detection.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

LAME.

So some game you're working on will win the hearts and minds of FPS gamers, causing them to toss aside CoD?

I'm not saying that either, but stuff like BF:BC2 is an evolution in the right direction. Where CoD has seen no true iteration at all, if they don't innovate they will stagnate, people will get bored.

Watched a gameplay trailer, and I have to say the sound and graphics/destruction/explosion of the game look amazing. Definitely buying this one.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, personally, I am much more interested in BC2 than MW2 (heck, not even sure I'll get MW2). It seems to offer the same basic infantry combat, yet has vehicles, environmental destruction, and dedicated servers on top of that. Moreover, none of the additions seem to heinously unbalance the core infantry combat. Most people are still running around on foot in the beta, and there are usually tanks sitting unused, which was unheard of in BF2.

That said, I think for somewhat mysterious reasons neither the critics nor the massive IW fanbase will see it that way when it releases. Maybe they don't like getting owned by a tank (never mind MW2's AC-130 kill streak), or there's too much traveling to get to the fight, or it doesn't cater to the gear queer with tons of weapon attachments. I think with some fixes BC2 may *deserve* to be considered the definitive multiplayer military shooter, though I don't think it will be received as such by most.

I'm not sure why CoD:MW is such a powerhouse compared to the BF series. Not that the BF series is weak, but it doesn't have anywhere near the press as CoD. Maybe it is just advertising? It's also probably a case of getting there first, as the Bad Company games have been coming out just a little after the Modern Warfare games twice now.

Bad Company is just the red-headed console stepchild of the real Battlefield games. It's a spinoff, what did you expect?

Battlefield 3 or bust!

Also, Battlefield is more team-based than MW and if there's one thing console people hate more than good games, it's each other.

Edited by Purkake

EA/DiCE blew their entire PR budget on Mirror's Edge while BFBC was allowe to slip through a June release almost unheard of. And the lack of a PC version made things even worse. Although MW has a much tighter kind of multiplayer with outrageously thought-out leveldesign.

I'm not sure why CoD:MW is such a powerhouse compared to the BF series. Not that the BF series is weak, but it doesn't have anywhere near the press as CoD. Maybe it is just advertising? It's also probably a case of getting there first, as the Bad Company games have been coming out just a little after the Modern Warfare games twice now.

It's basically a combination of average game, shedloads of marketing. I would hate to see how much was spent on marketing, and I would be dubious of any high values in regards to MW2's production.

Bad Company just wasn't marketed, it's also a little ropey in places due to the new engine etc...

It's also not quite as "SERIOUS" as modern warfare.

Although MW has a much tighter kind of multiplayer with outrageously thought-out leveldesign.

I wouldn't say the results are that good in MW2, MW was better, but considering the quality of CoD 1+2 maps, they just don't compete at all in my experience.

Looks like the sort of thing you need to play with friends to really enjoy, more teamwork than CoD, that's for sure.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Looks like the sort of thing you need to play with friends to really enjoy, more teamwork than CoD, that's for sure.

I would agree that there's a stronger team aspect, though it depends on your definition of "really enjoy." I'm pretty hooked on the beta, and my usual partner-in-crime is still busy playing through AC2.

Going for the unlocks is pretty addictive, and adds a long-term structure to the experience. Also, personally, I find the increased lethality in BC2 over other BF titles makes the core gunplay more satisfying as its own end.

Moreover, you can get a pretty good run going as a squad even with random pubbers, provided they're the right ones. The game allows you to spawn on *any* squad member, rather than just the leader or a beacon. This can lead to some ridiculous Smith-fight like situations, but it also allows you to keep a strategic action going without an entire squad of medics. It's gamey for sure, but has its moments.

• 4 weeks later...