Yahtzee reviews

Gorth

Awards for 2009 - you guys are getting slow...

Nice try! Corrected link. Awards for 2009

ORLY

Your editing skills are weak.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Can you really call Wolfenstein a sandbox game? Its more of a hub system that has been done since Quake and Hexen.

Completely agree about Wet. Tried the demo and it was just a hodge-podge of ideas thrown together badly.

Boo for RE5 negativity! The very first thing any player should have done in RE5 was host/join a coop game. I've played RE5 more than any of the previous games thanks to the incredible coop mode.

But it really makes you feel like you're playing Diablo again, doesn't it? :p

This isn't the first time he has got something wrong.

I only ever played the demo of the first one.

The problem is, Yahtzee is a reviewer. Some reviews are packed with hate because that's what the fans want, and others are complaints about stuff that is/n't there. It's not like you play the game for 50 hours and holding down the button for 2 seconds never crosses your mind.

So, what kind of reviewer does it make him?

A lazy one?

I'm not excusing this review, but most of the time he gets his stuff right.

Maybe, but it undermines my trust. Oh well, game info+occasional laugh isn't a bad thing plus it's not like I only read his reviews.

If you think Yahtzee's bad you should see the Escapist's other features. Except MovieBob. MovieBob is great.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If you think Yahtzee's bad you should see the Escapist's other features.
I won't, because I know.

Except MovieBob. MovieBob is great.
Word. His other stuff (The Game Overthinker) is good too.

A lazy one?

I'm not excusing this review, but most of the time he gets his stuff right.

Points to yahtzee's review of the Witcher. Yes its funny but it has no grounding in reality.

He called it a MMORPGer... :p

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

That's pushing it. I liked The Witcher a lot, but his criticisms of the combat, the generic, "collect 10 of these", quests, and all the running around back and forth were very valid.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That's pushing it. I liked The Witcher a lot, but his criticisms of the combat, the generic, "collect 10 of these", quests, and all the running around back and forth were very valid.

In Bioware games including those that have the Aurora engine you just click once and let the computer do the fighting. The Witcher has the same combat system under the hood with a few modifications. Its not DnD but its not real time either. Its actually stupid and baseless criticism typical of someone who for some absurd reason expected prince of Persia style combat because thats his favorite type of game.

There were those bounty quests, but there were plenty of others that aren't. Like the autopsy, the witch trial etc. Which he never got around to seeing.

You run back and forth in almost every RPG.

Watch the review, he doesnt even know what he's playing until he's a few hours into the game. When he finally does work out its an RPG, and not an action adventure he ditches the game. Thats why its not a review but a first impression.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

and all the running around back and forth were very valid.

That can be seen as boring artificial way to make the game longer, but I liked it. The world is just so alive. All kinds of animals at countyside, fantastic music, people on their daily business on city steets. I too couple times was little irritated with running around, but 90% of time I actuallly liked it.

Yahtzee isn't actually a reviewer, you know. He's an entertainer first and foremost. His job is to use 'game reviews' as a framework and the 'game' as an ingredient in order to make entertaining criticisms. Of course it's only as funny as it is because it has a sound basis on reality, but he does make factual mistakes every few weeks, he has a very clear bias (even more so than other reviewers) and you can make any game sound bad the way he does it. He's just fun, and occasionally points something out well. But that's okay, because he's very funny. :(

I just like the fact he's willing to call games such pieces of ****. Even if its just a gimmick, it's still refreshing in this age of sycophantic game reviewers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.