Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

alanschu

Like the original it seems like it takes place in the near future with an aggressor (in this case, China) and you being part of a unit responding, hoping to stop all out conflict (i.e. a reason for us to have armed conflict without the question "Why isn't there a huge war going on?")

Also like the original, the game takes place in an open world... on Skira Island. It looks like it'll be a squad based tactical shooter type game, but at the same time, it looks like I see footage of driving vehicles as well, so I'm not sure if it lets you hop in and drive the tanks (Battlefield style), or if they are different missions altogether. Missions sound like the usual military fare: Recon, assaults, etc. I think it might be a bit more microscale though. The game info lists objectives as "laying down covering fire, covering a friendly unit's retreat or conducting short-range recon patrol." A control scheme common to FPSes with context sensitive commands in a "radial" menu of sorts, depending on what you're looking at. Sounds like you have the ability to call in artillery and airstrikes as well.

The co-op game looks like a lot of fun, especially in the "hardcore" mode, which removes pretty much the entire HUD, leaving the player with just his eyes, equipment, and map. Playing with 3 friends in a realistic shooter could be a lot of fun I think. It'd force you to trust your teammates a bit more.

The graphics look pretty amazing IMO, and watching the videos, a good amount of care has been put into sound as well. I like the little touch such as long range artillery blasts have a noticeable sound delay, simulating the speed of sound.

My interest has been piqued. October 9th is the release date so not much time to wait either. I may TOFTT to see what it's like.

If you haven't already, look into Armed Assault 2, from the devs who made the original Operation Flashpoint.

Tentatively looking forward to OFP2, demo will help decide. The PvP also sounds interesting, where each player also has 3 AI soldiers to control.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Does CoD:MW have coop campaign? I'm jonesing for coop fun!

Llyranor, more info on this "Armed Assault 2" because I am too lazy to look it up haha.

And yes, the 35 km draw distance is riiiiiiidiculous. But yeah, I'll be getting this for PC if I get it.

Llyranor, more info on this "Armed Assault 2" because I am too lazy to look it up haha.

It's ARMA II. ;)

Although, if it is from the same developers it will most likely use the same DRM and thus I'll most likely not be playing, or buying, it. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

ArmA2 is already out and receiving good praise from the PC tactical community. There's also a demo. Campaign has co-op. Also an xpac on the way with also a co-op campaign.

The concerns the community has towards OFP2 is that it'd be OFP 'in name only'. Is it tactical-light only, dumbed down for console, etc. The main concern would be that it's made by Codemasters (who have no experience developing tactical shooters AFAIK), rather than Bohemia (who also develop software for military training). Demo will clear some things up, but from the looks of it, ArmA2 is probably more hardcore (and with what seems to be bigger ambition re: military accurary/detail, with the accompanying bugs - I'd wait for a few patches - kinda like HoI3!). OFP2 might go for a tighter more polished experience, but who knows. There's probably room for both.

MW2 has no campaign co-op, but it will have a separate SpecOps 2p co-op mode. How extensive that mode will be remains to be seen.

Not sure about DRM, but OFP was published by Codemasters, who are making OFP2. Isn't it the publisher who imposes DRM? Anyhow, that was 8 yrs ago.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

ARMA 2 is pretty good. It delivers on what you would expect for a realistic shooter, and I've had fun with it. That said, I'm still looking forward to OFP2. Why?

Because it promises to deliver tactical gameplay in an accessible package. ARMA 2 is rough around the edges; and not in an innocuous way. It puts a lot of strain on your system to draw relatively simple environments, your squad will ignore orders, glitches in mission scripting are the norm rather than the exception, and once the enemy AI has "seen you," it gains subhuman reaction times. Fortunately the same applies for friendly AI, so I "win" about half my engagements without seeing an enemy.

OFP2 sounds like it's still hardcore, but hopefully in a less glitchy fashion. Lack of lean or cover functions is very disappointing, but I'm planning to get OFP2. First review score sounds a little . . . ambiguous though.

It'll make COD:MW2 obsolete, apparently.

Nobody every said that... Especially not me.

You ever hear the term apples and oranges.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm confused. Did anyone say that you said that?

I downloaded the demo this weekend (for ArmA 2) but was too distracted by Empire Total War so I didn't play it hahahaa.

Bah, I doubt it'll be as unforgiving as the first one. Shame.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How will they do that and why is it a shame? Previews and the first few reviews suggest difficulty is plenty high.

Plenty of ways, could make wounds not as fatal or the AI crippled, etc. I'll try to play it before I judge it too harshly, but just don't get a sense it'll be as 'hardcore'. And pfft, what do reviewers know :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Based on the videos it looks like you'll be able to take a bit more damage before dropping.

It might be less realistic, but I also might find it more fun :)

I like the hardcore mode they showed on their website though. It disables the entire HUD, leaving you with just you, your squad, and your map.

I'm confused. Did anyone say that you said that?

I downloaded the demo this weekend (for ArmA 2) but was too distracted by Empire Total War so I didn't play it hahahaa.

I being quoted out of context, Hell Kitty is trying to start some inane rumour.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Malcador: I can understand the desire to crucify Codemasters for blaspheming the franchise, but the theories about how it will be dumbed down are pretty weak based on available evidence. At the end of the day we're both giving the game a shot, so it's kind of an academic point.