"Epic Mickey", Warren Spector's Wii Project

Pop

This could be one of those rare AAA titles to really crack the Wii market.

The sad reality will be that even if it gets all the critical praise in the world and is the best game ever, Wii Play(with Wiimote) and Wii Fit will continue selling millions without breaking stride while the super special awesome Mickey game that they probably spent a whole lot more money on, will just sell "ok" or maybe "well".

Ugh, just what the world needs. Another comic character gone serious and dark.

The concept is actually pretty good. It's not just "ZOMG Mickey is emo now", but it's about the OLD Disney stuff and weird Robot-Goofy as you saw on the last page.

Edited by Purkake

Probably Disney, upon realizing that the Disney Kingdom IP is popular with families, and that the Wii is also popular with families. Overwhelmingly so. Exclusivity was probably decided when they realized you couldn't replicate desired gameplay mechanics on systems without motion detection.

Or it's a timed exclusive, until Sony's stick and Microsoft's Watchamacallit hit the market.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Probably Disney, upon realizing that the Disney Kingdom IP is popular with families, and that the Wii is also popular with families. Overwhelmingly so. Exclusivity was probably decided when they realized you couldn't replicate desired gameplay mechanics on systems without motion detection.

Or it's a timed exclusive, until Sony's stick and Microsoft's Watchamacallit hit the market.

First of all those are going to need a year or two to become more than gimmicks and secondly they are different enough that porting between them is most likely not feasible. Wii to PS3 might be doable, but Natal is pretty different.

We have to remember that Disney has a lot of history and those early years are just about opposite what Disney is today.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit seem to be a very "unlucky" character. From Wikipedia:

"Mintz instead demanded that Walt take a 20 percent budget cut, and as leverage, he reminded Disney that Mintz owned the character, and revealed that he had already signed most of Disney

Edited by Niten_Ryu

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

it doesnt look as dark as fantasia and that movie is pretty old. i dont see what the fuss is about. i guess if i hear "dark mickey" i imagine something like american mcgees alice.

but then again this was billed as "epic" not dark. so whatever.

i bought a wii on its release day. i've probably spent about 40 hours playing it since. not exactly a wise purchase, but im hopeful that sooner or later something will make it worthwhile.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, actually I was reading some stuff Spector said, and apparently it is mostly a kiddy game, although he's trying to make it fun for adults also. So may be Wii was a good decision, but I don't think the game will work as either it'll be too complicated for kids or boring for adults.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Speaking of kiddie, my 2 and a half year old daughter absolutely loves the game already. She has taken custody of my Game Informer magazine with Mickey on the cover, and she points out that the houses are scary but Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are cool.

So yeah, it is a kids game, but I think it will be interesting for adults.

It's a shame that they're willing to dig up these ancient concepts but they're largely ignoring what originally defined them. One example: that drippy monster thing on the Game Informer cover is supposed to be the Phantom Blot, but Phantom Blot was originally created as a menacing pulp villain who was always trying to murder Mickey in surprisingly violent ways. How is a drippy shapeshifter thing an improvement on that? Is he more "modern" now that he has a mouth?

----> EPIC MICKEY <----

phantom blot = gun toting madman with sweet killer traps.

blob menace = cartoon villain thats not interesting or scary.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.