Since NWN3 is rumoured to be a MMORPG, how about a return to an old (favourite) D+D Campaign setting?

CrazyPea

Rumour has it that the next NWN is going to be a MMORPG. If that is the case why not start a new franchise of D+D CRPGs for the singular player and set it in a different campaign world: PLANESCAPE - long overdue a return, especially since it can encaspulate all of the other campaign settings as well. While Wizards of the Coast no longer produce specifc material for PLANESCAPE all of the elements that make up the setting still exist in D+D 4th edition - The new 'Manual Of The Planes' still has has sections on Sigil.

I think a return to Sigil would be th best course now and with NWN2's engine (and Toolset - it would definitely need a toolset) it could be an absolutely fantastic experience. There are so many tales that could be told in that Multiverse and ulitmately there would be very few restrictions, since whole new planes could be made to accomodate adventures. PLANESCAPE: Torment ws one of the best CPRGs of all time and now would be the perfect time to bring PLANESCAPE back (especially see all media seems to be going through a 'dark and gritty' stage, which is ideal for PLANESCAPE). A whole new audience needs introducing to the setting. Sigil could easily take the place of Neverwinter as the central point of adventures and the Lady of Pain was a much more compelling and mysterious character than Lord Nasher ever could be.

'C'mon Cutters, I'd be willin' hand over some of me hard earned Jink for some bub,... I mean a new Planescape franchise...'

What do you think?

The campaign for the return to Sigil starts here....

Planescape was discontinued by WotC and they've shown no signs of being willing to put it back into production. So it's a no-go.

Although this might be of interest to you.

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Planescape was discontinued by WotC and they've shown no signs of being willing to put it back into production. So it's a no-go.

Although this might be of interest to you.

Thank you for the link - I definitely found it interesting.

I am aware that PLANESCAPE was discontinued as campaign set per se, but as I have said above, ALL of the elements that made up the Setting - Sigil, the inner and outer planes etc, ALL exist in 4th editiion D+D, okay so you might have to take the PLANESCAPE title away and call it something different (call it OUTLANDS or Dungeons and Dragons Multiverse, or Sigil and Beyond. etc) Call it Sigil Days if you must!!!! But the planes themselves are stil a valid setting for 4th edition adventure. And if it proved popular enough it might be enough for WOTC to bring the PLANESCAPE setting back.

While the various DnD settings are very interesting, I wouldn't want to go through all this hassle of playing a shoe horned PNP system into the computer again.

An odd response considering Obsidian's past history - Alpha Protocol is the only game so far not to be based on a PNP game. Even before Obsidian was formed most of the staff worked on PNP conversions: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment etc.

Obsidian isn't even working on NWN3, as far as I now, and if it is to be a MMO it is ignorable. Planescape is long dead. Deal with it and move on.

I rather have Obsidian work on original titles like Alpha Protocol or games like that Fallout New Vegas than have anything to do with DnD since WoTC ripped it apart with 4e.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Planescape is long dead. Deal with it and move on.

Such a narrow minded view. The Fallout franchise was 'dead' until Bethseda decided to something with it. - seriously, when was the last Fallout game BEFORE the release of Fallout 3? What was the gap between the 2 games?

NOTHING is dead until it is forgotten completely and PLANESCAPE is far from that.

NOTHING is dead until it is forgotten completely and PLANESCAPE is far from that.

It's dead and forgotten in the minds of publishers. Does that help?

Everything's dead there until you convince them it gets them money.

No, it doesn't help really, it just means we have to remind them.

I have to admit I'm surprised by the negativity, especially since PLANESCAPE: TORMENT generally considered one of the all time greats of computer RPGs; is it 'cool' to knock someone becuase they want to bring a classic setting/RPG back? I figure it must be.

Everything's dead there until you convince them it gets them money.

Exactly and that is what we must do - show them there is a market.

How many people would like to see a PLANSCAPE (-esque) RPG?

Planescape is long dead. Deal with it and move on.

Such a narrow minded view. The Fallout franchise was 'dead' until Bethseda decided to something with it. - seriously, when was the last Fallout game BEFORE the release of Fallout 3? What was the gap between the 2 games?

Fallout wasn't in the same copyright quandary, and some consider FO3 to be the last nail in the coffin.

I have to admit I'm surprised by the negativity,

Your post is about something that will probably never happen, and in any case, what made PS:T special was its story and its characters, not the setting itself, which suffers from being part of DnD.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

DnD is a system, Planescape is a setting. Nothing's keeping you from using a different system, especially if it's a story/dialogue-centric game.

DnD is a franchise, and one that should be noted for its uninterestingly written settings (Toril, anyone? OK, how about Greyhawk?) built up of terribly generic elements (Bane, god of bad stuff and being mean to people? Seriously?).

DnD is a system, Planescape is a setting. Nothing's keeping you from using a different system, especially if it's a story/dialogue-centric game.

DnD is a franchise, and one that should be noted for its uninterestingly written settings (Toril, anyone? OK, how about Greyhawk?) built up of terribly generic elements (Bane, god of bad stuff and being mean to people? Seriously?).

That's what made PLANESCAPE so specal as a setting for me - it wasn't generic and uninteresting. The story and characters were great, but the world itself was fantastic too - It was so much more than the generic hack and slash worlds such as Toril and Greyhawk, it was a multiverse with challenging philosophical concepts such as belief defining reality.

Lets face it, there are going to be D+D CRPGS in the future and Obsidian will probably be involved, so why not use the setting?

Edited by CrazyPea

That's what made PLANESCAPE so specal as a setting for me - it wasn't generic and uninteresting. The story and characters were great, but the world itself was fantastic too - It was so much more than the generic hack and slash worlds such as Toril and Greyhawk, it was a multiverse with challenging philosophical concepts such as belief defining reality.

Lets face it, there are going to be D+D CRPGS in the future and Obsidian will probably be involved, so why not use the setting?

If there will be any future DnD cRPGs, WotC will force them to use 4e, which sucks.

There are going to be non-DnD CRPGs in the future, and Obsidian will (touch wood) make some of them, so why restrict yourself to DnD ones?

There are going to be non-DnD CRPGs in the future, and Obsidian will (touch wood) make some of them, so why restrict yourself to DnD ones?

Why can't Obsidian do both? D+D and non D+D

And since people above have suggested that 4E plays like a CRPG or MMO - doesn't it make sense for Obsidian to use the system (I see a lot of negativity towards 4e - which I haven't played, my D+D PNP era was 2nd edition - and I've often wondered how many people have merely read the rules and took a dislike without actually playing the system - cos there does seem quite a few people like that)

Why can't Obsidian do both? D+D and non D+D

And since people above have suggested that 4E plays like a CRPG or MMO - doesn't it make sense for Obsidian to use the system (I see a lot of negativity towards 4e - which I haven't played, my D+D PNP era was 2nd edition - and I've often wondered how many people have merely read the rules and took a dislike without actually playing the system - cos there does seem quite a few people like that)

If you want to see why people dislike 4e, check the link in my last post.

All the DnD settings come with having to make a deal with Wizards of the Coast and probably giving them some of the profits and having them "verify" all your stuff.