What are you playing now

Gorth

This is insane - I'm playing ja2 1.13and I just liberated Drassen, it was a difficult battle against 15 or so enemies but my handgun wielding mercs finally got them all. I set them to rest and the next morning I'm attacked by 60 o:) assault rifle equipped troops, my mercs are shot up from the day before and outnumbered 15:1. What the hell am I supposed to do?? I tried reloading but the attack is scripted...

I read its a mod "improvement"

Have you tried running towards them yelling "Butt kicking for goodness!"? :lol:

The Drassen counter attack is indeed scripted and a good challenge for experienced players :sorcerer:

Have you tried a fighting retreat and then coming back with reinforcements?

Edit: It is also possible to disable it in the configuration file, although I don't know if you have to do that before starting the game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm trying to cheese my way through it, since a straight on fight is impossible. I;m hiding in a building without windows, waiting for them to show up through the door. I've killed 25 so far this way, but I cant move because they're all outside :sorcerer:

insanity.jpg

Uhh right

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This is insane - I'm playing ja2 1.13and I just liberated Drassen, it was a difficult battle against 15 or so enemies but my handgun wielding mercs finally got them all. I set them to rest and the next morning I'm attacked by 60 :sorcerer: assault rifle equipped troops, my mercs are shot up from the day before and outnumbered 15:1. What the hell am I supposed to do?? I tried reloading but the attack is scripted...

I read its a mod "improvement"

The Drassen counterattack was in the original game, but disabled in the released version. The 1.13 mod re-enabled it. On the higher difficulty levels with reinforcementrs set to On, its possible to be counterattacked by more than 100 elites. And yes, its a tough fight.

The 1.13 mod makes the game more difficult than the vanilla version and is largely intended for people who have played the original to death. Their are line of sight restrictions and the AI is better at flanking. If you play on the Expert settign or above the eneny has addtional abilities, such as using spotters to scout for the snipers enabling their snipers to shoot from beyond visual range (which you can do as well, btw).

SO you might want to try the unmodded Jag 2 first. Its a great great game without the mods. ANd probably more balanced.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

More balanced in game mechanics or difficulty?

I'm the sort who'll beat them or die trying :D

How would an experienced JA2 player beat them in a straight out fight with 5 handgun wielding mercs?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

More balanced in game mechanics or difficulty?

The game isn't as hard in the vanilla version. It was balanced to be playable for people who hadn't played before. 1.13 isn't. It's balanced for people who have played the game previously.

How would an experienced JA2 player beat them in a straight out fight with 5 handgun wielding mercs?

They wouldn't.

But if you are bent on doing so, hiding in the bathroom and loads of saving and reloading is the way to go.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

They wouldn't.

But if you are bent on doing so, hiding in the bathroom and loads of saving and reloading is the way to go.

The question was whether there was an acutal tactical way of going about it apart from the door cheese or running away. :sorcerer:

logosig2.jpg

They wouldn't.

The question was whether there was an acutal tactical way of going about it apart from the door cheese or running away. :sorcerer:

As I said, no.

Other than hiding in a small room to shorten the combat range and then saving and reloading extensively until you get a good outcome every time, you are simply outmatched.

If you had a night operations team, where the short range your weapons and small amount of personnel wouldn't be as much a problem, you could approach it more tactically.

What difficulty are you playing on? Expert and insane are considerably more diffucult than easy and normal even in the 1.13 mod.

Experienced, which i think is the normal one.

I'm managing to bring their numbers down as they run in front of the doorway to the bar or inside it but its going slowly, 20 of them are left. I just hope my bullets dont run out.

logosig2.jpg

I should point ouit, just to clarify, that the hiding in a small room opart is optional. It just helps to control the combat. With enough saving and reloading, it's not neccessary though.

If you are playing on easy or normal, the battle is winnable with just the occasional save and reload since the enemy has a numbers advantage but the same crappy weapons and armor as your team. On expert and insane, they will have somewhat better gear which will make the fight somewhat tougher and you may runn your team out of ammo before you win the battle regardless. Although if you are playing with the new armor system, you can get some high damage hits regardless of weapn from time to time. but for the most part those pistol rounds are going to have a hard time gettign through the better armor.

ANyway, just save and reload as neccessary and you'll get through it eventually.

Edited by Slowtrain

I don't think I ever beat them at the mine, hence my comment about a "fighting withdrawal". Use the cover of the buildings to create kill zones and thin out enemy numbers. Roofs are your friend (just don't pick the roof edge that faces all of them), withdraw to the northern edge and run for it, hopefully having thinned out their numbers. Then return in true MacArthur style and claim the mine a bit later. You might want to go for the Chitzena mine first.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I love the Drassen counter-attack, because it is basically giving you a situation where you should retreat. But if I had it happen on my first playthrough I likely would have lost my entire team, even on normal difficulty.

So I say sacrifice a couple mercs to try and get the rest of your team out of there. Then rest up, hire a few new folks, and go back another day. I think after they take the section most of the reinforcements leave.

Nope. Your clear. That's the hardest thing you'll face for a consderable long time.

Argh I'm not here for a few days and slowtrain reemerged? OMG. I must be hallucinating from too much exposure to Trials HD.

:waves:

Heya, Majek.

Edited by Slowtrain

Nope. Your clear. That's the hardest thing you'll face for a consderable long time.

Not really, the army will send groups every other day or so to retake Drassen. Especilly the mine.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Not really, the army will send groups every other day or so to retake Drassen. Especilly the mine.

Not very aggressively though on experienced difficulty. ANd holding the Drassen mine against those attacks is peanuts compared to that first counter attack.

If you can survive through that counter attack, you can handle the next 1/2 of the game and not see anything harder.