Scientology contract leaks

Purkake

By the way, the religioustolerance.com link has positive and neutral definitions of 'cult' and at least one can easily be applied to christianity,

i never said otherwise. have you read every one of my posts?

Yep.

I think this qualifies:

All religions are cults

by only the most antiquated of definitions.

i made it clear in my first post that i see the various definitions as distinctions in magnitude, rather than distinct definitions.

more to the point, this was my entire point in the first post i made that lof took exception too, failing to recognize his own argument was self-contradictory. rather, the word cult applies to a broad spectrum, but when someone calls scientology a "cult," instinctively we all know what is mean and shouldn't have to devolve into idiocy of semantic bickering, particularly when it has nothing to do with the argument itself - scientology isn't about religion, it is about mind control, period. hubbard's goal was simply to make money.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yep.

I think this qualifies:

um, no. i clearly said it still fits the definition - and it is the most antiquated and least commonly used (it is the original) whether you like it or not.

the most common usage today is in reference to the doomsday/mind control cults and the pop culture references to "cult of personality" type things.

i suppose now you want to join the cult of assinine. so be it. if you can come up with a legitimate point regarding this thread and/or what i actually said, enlighten me.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I learned everything I could get about scientology after watching Meet the Spartans,

I wondered why a kill Tom Cruise joke at the end was funny so I started googling.

It took two weeks before I could stop watching and reading everything I could find various testimonials and depositions etc. It probably haunted me for another month at least. That was the first and only time I have actually felt 'haunted' or truely disturbed by anything I chose to look into.

Really weird stuff and unfortunate for most of the participants.

Edit also I saw a scientology commercial on local television about a week ago. They are closing in... :ermm:

Edited by Asol

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

and also the one that is least used today.

So?

words change in their meaning over time.

But that does not change the fact that the orriginal meaning is still valid and can, and should, be used. Also, as I said, the popular meaning of a word should not dominate the entire word - if some people do not like that then they should take another look at the word.

when you say "cult" in any modern usage, everyone knows what you are referring to within the context of your statement.

Only if you are using the popular deffinition for the time - if you're using any other people will not understand as many do not give a **** about word meanings.

you're being assinine because you know i've never denied the original usage and you know exactly what i mean

But Squidman there does not belive in the orrginal meaning of cult - that is how the entire topic was brought up again, he stated a false item and I called him out on it.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

i suppose now you want to join the cult of assinine. so be it. if you can come up with a legitimate point regarding this thread and/or what i actually said, enlighten me.

Sorry to disappoint, I don't plan to. But I can tell from your tone that you're a long time member. I already pointed out in my first post that I'm

Just sayin'
, which incidentally, also contains the "point regarding the thread": not everyone thinks of and uses the same definition of a word as you, however widely used it may be.

Btw, this thread is about scientologists' contract, not the definitions of cult, in case you haven't noticed.

Have to say I agree with taks. Cult has been used in its negative form so much in our culture/times that to call Christianity (or any other form of organized religion) and Scientology both cults is just an insult.

You are ALL gay!

How many of you just took that as calling you all homosexuals when my actual meaning may have been "having or showing a merry, lively mood". The word is just not used in it's original form anymore.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Have to say I agree with taks. Cult has been used in its negative form so much in our culture/times that to call Christianity (or any other form of organized religion) and Scientology both cults is just an insult.

You are ALL gay!

How many of you just took that as calling you all homosexuals when my actual meaning may have been "having or showing a merry, lively mood". The word is just not used in it's original form anymore.

You can't fool me, I know you meant "you guys are all great, but I'm too shy to say it so I insult you instead".

Did everyone get infected with double-post disease or something? :/

I got lost a while ago, but:

But that does not change the fact that the orriginal meaning is still valid and can, and should, be used. Also, as I said, the popular meaning of a word should not dominate the entire word - if some people do not like that then they should take another look at the word.

The definition of word was never a question of regulation, but a question of implicit, collective and contextual understanding. The 'original' meaning was just as much subject to 'popular consensus' as the most recent manifestation of that word, and elisions along the symbolic landscape should not be taken as 'distortions' from some sort of 'proper original'. Why does it matter so much what the word cult had once meant two thousand years ago, if we are discussing how 'cult' should be used today?

Why does it matter so much what the word cult had once meant two thousand years ago, if we are discussing how 'cult' should be used today?

You are missing the entire point Tigranes...

It is about how to troll. A good troll can insult people without without them knowing it, a young and inexperienced troll needs to debate and obfuscate the intentions by a debate on semantics o:)

And a couple of the old timers... sheesh, eating hook, worm, sink and all :)

...and with that, it seems like the original subject has been buried in the sands of time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein