Favourite NWN2 character builds (excluding SoZ and MotB for now)

Humodour

Is it worth taking able learner and pumping Intimidation and Bluff if they'll always only be half my level? Would any dialogue checks actually succeed?
Actually, owing to the way NWN2 deals with cross-class skills, you can keep dialogue skills maxed out no matter what, provided you take at least one level in a class that has it as a class skill. Able Learner is really, really useful if you have a decent INT and plan on mixing classes. Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Is it worth taking able learner and pumping Intimidation and Bluff if they'll always only be half my level? Would any dialogue checks actually succeed?
Actually, owing to the way NWN2 deals with cross-class skills, you can keep dialogue skills maxed out no matter what, provided you take at least one level in a class that has it as a class skill. Able Learner is really, really useful if you have a decent INT and plan on mixing classes.

Haha, awesome! Cheers.

Edit: Wait... so you're telling me that if I went Rogue 2 (evasion)/Druid x, as a Druid I'd have access to things like disable traps and pick lock permanently, with the level cap being equivalent to my combined character levels? Wow. Oh, wait, but I'd still need Able Learner to level them up well as a druid? I see.

Edited by Krezack

MotB arrived. I haven't tried it yet because the patching system is retarded and taking 400mb to download minipatches for what amounts to a 50mb patch. I hope Alpha Protocol is more polished out of the box than KOTOR2 and NWN2. ;)

Edit: Yeah this is ****ing retarded. I've burnt about 500mb in bandwidth now downloading these useless minipatches for MotB (and I'm only up to 1.13!) in the autopatcher and now I'm reading a post by Rob McGinnis from a year or two ago claiming that I need to patch NWN2 before installing and patching MotB or the game won't work? I've read people claiming the exact opposite! So I'll probably have to do this patch process all over again?! And to top it off the autopatcher seems to think I've got Storm of Zehir (I don't yet). Get your **** together Obsidian - nobody should need to go through all this drama to patch your damn game, especially not when your patches are pretty important since your games are so buggy. Arg! Frustrated.

Edited by Krezack

MotB arrived. I haven't tried it yet because the patching system is retarded and taking 400mb to download minipatches for what amounts to a 50mb patch. I hope Alpha Protocol is more polished out of the box than KOTOR2 and NWN2. ;)

Edit: Yeah this is ****ing retarded. I've burnt about 500mb in bandwidth now downloading these useless minipatches for MotB (and I'm only up to 1.13!) in the autopatcher and now I'm reading a post by Rob McGinnis from a year or two ago claiming that I need to patch NWN2 before installing and patching MotB or the game won't work? I've read people claiming the exact opposite! So I'll probably have to do this patch process all over again?! And to top it off the autopatcher seems to think I've got Storm of Zehir (I don't yet). Get your **** together Obsidian - nobody should need to go through all this drama to patch your damn game, especially not when your patches are pretty important since your games are so buggy. Arg! Frustrated.

That's OLD info. DO the following:

Install NWN2

Install MotB

Run Autopatcher

That's it.

IF you have SoZ, it will apply all the patches to 1.19(?) IIRC. Thats one of the nice reasons to own SoZ is those damn patches.

Jaesun speaketh words of wisdom, that's what I did. No problemo apart from the wierd freeze thing with patch 1.23 (which has mysteriously resolved itself and therefore might not be a Patch 1.23 issue after all).

sonsofgygax.JPG

Cheers guys. All patched. In game making a character. Only patched to 1.22 since I've heard multiple people complain about 1.23. Anything I'm missing from 1.23?

Neeshka is the only rogue in the game? Seriously? OK, definitely taking 2 rogue levels, able learner + disable device, search, and open locks for my PC.

Update: MotB is a lot smoother in terms of performance and interface. :sorcerer:

Edited by Krezack

My game worked fine with the previous patch, can't find the release notes for V1.23 anyway. I have SoZ installed, though.

A couple of rogue levels + Able Learner, especially with a human works for any character build although purists might find it too much of a hit for a spellcaster. Seeing as I seldom play spellcasters it really isn't a biggie for me.

Besides, all the bases are covered in NWN2 - they really did create an NPC for all seasons class-wise from the Neverwinter part of the game onwards.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Er, Neeshka is the only pure rogue, but there is a Gnome bard who is one of the most annoying NPCs ever if you want another skills-based character without sneak attack.

Actually, I liked the noble half-orc barbarian NPC from NWN1. There's nothing like him available unfortunately, an goodie-two shoes paladin but I like Bishop the evil ranger.

Go for Jaesun's Jack-of-Hearts, I'm going to try something very similar next time I play the OC.

sonsofgygax.JPG

There so many recruitable NPCs in the OC that the developers couldn't take the time to flesh them out. There are not that many dialogs (maybe NWN1 did this even better) and they feel shallow as characters. Heck, when you lose one of them, you won't feel a thing. I expected an emotional drama just like in FF7 but I found nada...

I just wanted to have the same feeling as when Yoshimo betrayed my party in BG2. That was drama as I had the character for so long. Maybe it's because today's games are way shorter than before and you do not have the time to be emotionally connected to your characters...

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Maybe it's because today's games are way shorter than before and you do not have the time to be emotionally connected to your characters...

Or maybe it's just as you say and the devs opted for like 20 shallow characters instead of the, what, 6 or so brilliant ones Torment had? :sorcerer:

Anyway I'm going to sleep on it. To late to start a game tonight. Everything in MotB seems to function adequately (with some nice improvements like camera modes and an AI on/off button).

Seriously, Neeska is all the rogue skills you will ever need to play the OC.

that is part of her problem. is the only rogue and she is 100% rogue. is a wasted party mate. maybe if she were written better, but she ain't. so why take tiefling rogue joinable npc when you can makes your pc aquire two rogue levels and able learner to provide "all the rogue skills you will ever need to play the OC"?

our actual favorite pc for the oc is hardly a power build, but he gets more than enough thiefy skills + umd and maxed diplomacy. worried 'bout other skill checks? lore perhaps? is a bunch o' lore boosting rings in game. use Grobnar to boost skills + heroism/greater heroism + prayer, and you will never miss a lore or appraise check. with gloves of greater artificer and the same recipe o' skill boosting spells/effects, you can pretty much do all the crafting stuff too. 3 levels o' rogue and the rest cleric. make sure you is human and got 14 int. could solo with such a character without much trouble... specially once umd is high 'nuff to use wands. am not a fan o' casavir neither, so we makes him take craft wands feat. look at paladin spell list... is not bad for wand crafting. d&d clerics is a bit overpowered, so take three levels o' rogue and practiced spell caster is hardly gimping.

in the oc there is 1 cleric and 1 rogue available to join party. the rogue sucks and the cleric ain't available til last 1/3 or 1/4 o' the game. Gromnir simply creates character that avoids need for either the tiefling trollop or the gith who spouts fortune cookie nonsense. combat efficacy o' our character becomes overkill once you get persistent spell, but that is late in game.

jaesun' build gots too many wasted levels for us. bard caster level is diluted and combat abilities is, for at least first half of game, gonna be suck. Gromnir build ain't powerbuild per se, but pretty much any character build with cleric primary is gonna be powerful.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

jaesun' build gots too many wasted levels for us. bard caster level is diluted and combat abilities is, for at least first half of game, gonna be suck. Gromnir build ain't powerbuild per se, but pretty much any character build with cleric primary is gonna be powerful.

That build is NOT made for power/1337ness etc.. Yep it has flaws etc bitch/whine but It is PURELY made specifically for the OC+MotB and makes the game a blast to play.

That build is NOT made for power/1337ness etc.. Yep it has flaws etc bitch/whine but It is PURELY made specifically for the OC+MotB and makes the game a blast to play.

neither is Gromnir's build made for power/1337n355... but Gromnir does like to know that if he is playing a spellcaster that the spell caster levels and dcs won't be a joke. is 'bout a thousand different builds that is a blast to play... regardless o' power. so don't get all snobby/sensitive.

want combat and good skills? probable go with a rogue/swashbuckler/duelist... or even just a swashy/duelist. got lots o' skill points and your main stat is int.

want spellcaster and skills? probable go with a rogue/wizard/ek/arcane scholar build.

Gromnir likes rogue/cleric 'cause the oc rogue and cleric is the suck. *shrug* is any number o' builds we can put together that got loads o' "blast" potential for the nwn2 oc and motb... am just not particularly liking jaesun's build as it wastes levels.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cheers guys. All patched. In game making a character. Only patched to 1.22 since I've heard multiple people complain about 1.23. Anything I'm missing from 1.23?

Neeshka is the only rogue in the game? Seriously? OK, definitely taking 2 rogue levels, able learner + disable device, search, and open locks for my PC.

Update: MotB is a lot smoother in terms of performance and interface. o:)

Problem with 1.22 is that AoE spells cast by your party does not damage your party even on highest difficulty...

1.23 has problems only if you have external USB CD/DVD-ROM...

if you dont have, i recommend it to apply asap, many fixes for game in there aswell!!!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

^ Grom has said he doesn't like RDD builds, and all of the twinkiest ones I've seen on the NWN2 character builder site feature it as a PrC.

Then again, using his logic, Brd2/Clrc 'X' would also seem to work :thumbsup:

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Grom has said he doesn't like RDD builds, and all of the twinkiest ones I've seen on the NWN2 character builder site feature it as a PrC.

Then again, using his logic, Brd2/Clrc 'X' would also seem to work :huh:

Not sure what builds he likes, but if you wanna criticize something make sure you can do better, and prove you can!

Edited by Kelverin

depends. what do you want from the bard? you want good in combat or you want to be a genuine spellcaster? if you wanna be spellcaster, does you care 'bout spell dcs & caster levels, or is you happy with buffs? bards is pretty damn flexible. you is gonna have a goodly amount of skills no matter what, but the problem with being a spellcaster is that even with practiced spellcaster feat, you shouldn't spend more than 'bout 4 levels on other stuff.

1 level fighter and 19 levels o' bard is good for the oc... makes easier to get battlecaster. you want serious combat? 4 levels o' fighter and 16 bard... is probable essential to take practiced spellcaster if you wanna stay effective as a spellcaster.

another option is the 2 levels of cleric and 18 levels o' bard... earth and trick domain is probable best. make sure to take cleric levels at a feat level so you can take advantage o' divine might and divine shield. high charisma pays off pretty good 'tween bard and divine feats.

keep in mind that if you wanna play motb with a bard character you will never be able to get epic spells via your bard levels, is not a kiss o' death, but it kinda sucks. if you go epic it almost makes sense to go the rdd route... but Gromnir hates playing characters that genuine only becomes effective at level 16 or so... seems like such a waste.

HA! Good Fun!

"Then again, using his logic, Brd2/Clrc 'X' would also seem to work sorcerer.gif"

would work, but is more of a cleric build than a bard build. is actual not a bad approach, but Gromnir prefers rogue skills and sneak attack... and evasion ain't something to sneeze at. 'course, mc were funning, but he is correct that Gromnir feels that pretty much any cleric build will be paying off big... take able learner with your 2 levels o' bard? why not?

Edited by Gromnir

I think you can make Blackguard as a single-classed level 7 or 8 rogue without taking any fighter levels (is it +6 BAB, Hide 5 Ranks, Power Attack & Cleave?).

If you want a fighter / rogue with a hatful of decent abilities (i.e. added, stackable sneak attack, summon undead, turn undead, aura of despair) you could do a lot worse. Ditto a bard, as the BG uses CHA as a bonus to his saves too.

Bard 20 / BG 10 would be pretty powerful at Epic levels. Not to mention unusual.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, Bard / Rogue seems to me to be over-symbiotic, if there is such a thing. Unless you want a bard who can sneak attack / get evasion etc but why not go Bard / Assassin or Bard / Barbarian or Bard / Ranger who all get similar roguish abilties plus more distinct bonuses too?

For me, bards are primarily about spellcasting - the song and skills are good but its the spellcasting that's throwing in the meat and potatoes. Unlike rogue, who's pretty front-loaded at levels 1-4. +2d6 sneak attack is useful at even high levels, low-level bardsong ain't.

This brings us back to the elephant in the character-building room - the bard level as access to the frankly awesome Red Dragon Disciple.

Human Bard 1 / Ftr X / RDD X is a complelling tank fighter build. Add able learner and you get the dialogue skills too. Tough to beat.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, Bard / Rogue seems to me to be over-symbiotic, if there is such a thing. Unless you want a bard who can sneak attack / get evasion etc but why not go Bard / Assassin or Bard / Barbarian or Bard / Ranger who all get similar roguish abilties plus more distinct bonuses too?

For me, bards are primarily about spellcasting - the song and skills are good but its the spellcasting that's throwing in the meat and potatoes. Unlike rogue, who's pretty front-loaded at levels 1-4. +2d6 sneak attack is useful at even high levels, low-level bardsong ain't.

I actually disagree with this on two counts (though only really in the case of a few levels of rogue, not equal levels bard and rogue).

Firstly, a Bard and a Rogue's skills don't overlap that much - specifically a Bard does not get Search, Disable Device, Pick Locks, or Intimidate (the last one I'm admittedly not using). Secondly, Bard's are actually not primarily about spellcasting, but about being a jack of all trades. The spells are certainly nice, but for a start, you'll never really need over 16 Charisma, and you simply do not get higher than 6 level spells (though admittedly they're often quite powerful 6th level spells). The Bard Songs and Inspirations are nothing to be shunned. Inspirations are constant and one of them is something like +4 to hit and damage for the entire party (higher/lower depending on level), while the Bard Songs all vary but the best ones are Heroism, Requiem, and Curse Song, and they aren't just fun, they're good.

Finally, evasion is perfect for a Bard, who should end up with high saves in pretty much everything. More backstab damage would be nice, but it's not worth sacrificing more Bard levels. We're talking Rogue 2/Bard X here.

Disclaimer: I'm yet to actually play this char. I've taken a Drow for it. It puts my Bard essentially 4 levels behind but Search mode is always active (traps, invisible creeps), and makes getting Perfect Two Weapon Fighting relatively easy with the following starting stats:

STR 10

DEX 18

CON 12

INT 16

WIS 10

CHA 16

Weapon Finesse of course.

We'll see how I go. :ermm:

Finally, evasion is perfect for a Bard, who should end up with high saves in pretty much everything. More backstab damage would be nice, but it's not worth sacrificing more Bard levels. We're talking Rogue 2/Bard X here.

That's what I took Rogue 2/Bard X just for the for mentioned evasion

Human with some messed up stats

STR 14

DEX 16

CON 8

INT 14

WIS 8

CHA 13

+1 on DEX, CHA as I level up

Took Able Learner and power attack with cleave as the next feat, my will and fort saves will suck but I can buff those through items or other means.

Edited by Kelverin

OK, I'm playing NWN2 OC from scratch again now that I have MotB installed.

I must say I'm a lot happier with it this time around. The interface is better in many subtle ways, the game no longer crashes at all, and I'm starting to have more fun in the areas past Fort Locke. I ended up taking straight Bard since with Drow ECL I'm already 2 levels behind. It's fun. Bard's are cool in NWN2 - inspirations are a real boon. I just got Weapon finesse so I can hit things often now, too, though not for much damage yet.

Just figured I'd update everyone to let them know there's a happy ending. :banghead: