Bethesda buys id Software

Morgoth

Yeah, I only ever played Doom 1 & 2 on the original Playstation and have nothing but fond memories.

A big, scary, desolate sand box game full of strange places to explore, demons, a space marine guy with a skillz tree and lots and lots of guns / chainsaws / etc.

Why not?

Sounds cooler than Oblivion (etc). I'm thinking Diablo-esque RPG-lite fun.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The bigger the company the more money they are putting into things and the less risks they want to take. I'm not saying that there should be no big companies, I'm saying that there should be more indie/small companies.

It sure seems to me that all this merging of late is a response to the increased expense of developing for consoles in this hardware cycle and the projected expense of developing for the next cycle. Making games with production values that are up to the standard expected by the XBOX/PS3 audience is a tall order for a small, independent company.

The bigger the company the more money they are putting into things and the less risks they want to take. I'm not saying that there should be no big companies, I'm saying that there should be more indie/small companies.

It sure seems to me that all this merging of late is a response to the increased expense of developing for consoles in this hardware cycle and the projected expense of developing for the next cycle. Making games with production values that are up to the standard expected by the XBOX/PS3 audience is a tall order for a small, independent company.

Which is why I mentioned indie games and digital distribution. A small company can make awesome games and make money without wasting too much money on XBL, PSN, Wiiware and Steam/whatever.

The costs are pretty much bleeding the AAA games' developers dry.

Mirror's Edge didn't sell that well. Then again, parkour wasn't new at that time either.

Beyond Good and Evil got 70% cheaper after 2 days.

Developers of Zeno Clash begged people to buy it.

Psychonauts didn't sell well either.

To be fair, BGaE and Psychonauts got little to no marketing making it the publishers' fault for not even giving them a chance. There are a lot more examples, though.

Edited by Purkake

At least no one can buy Valve(not publicly owned) and as bad as Activision is, it's a giant money anchor keeping anyone from buying Blizzard.

It would be interesting to see the bigger publishers fall apart and all the small developers pour out, but that's not going to happen any time soon :rolleyes:

Even though it's reassuring that Valve is privately held, I'm almost looking forward to the time when EA, Activision and every other major company merges into one supermassive ****hole. I think something like that is impossible to avoid (trying hard not to sound like some kind of Karl Marx of the computer game industry), followed of course by a surge of independent developers and low-budget games.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

At least no one can buy Valve(not publicly owned) and as bad as Activision is, it's a giant money anchor keeping anyone from buying Blizzard.

It would be interesting to see the bigger publishers fall apart and all the small developers pour out, but that's not going to happen any time soon :(

Even though it's reassuring that Valve is privately held, I'm almost looking forward to the time when EA, Activision and every other major company merges into one supermassive ****hole. I think something like that is impossible to avoid (trying hard not to sound like some kind of Karl Marx of the computer game industry), followed of course by a surge of independent developers and low-budget games.

It will be the renaissance of video games, a golden age where everyone can once again make awesome games.

Hmm, maybe I should make an underwater city where the best game developers can make whatever games they want and not be held back by petty morality...

Edited by Purkake

Interestingly, the CEO of Zenimax Media, one Robert A Altman, is married to Wonder Woman. Is this what makes them the unstoppable corporate juggernaut they're appearing to be?

Probably how they get so many hollywood big names to provide voice overs for their games.

Also, when does Zenimax acquire Obsidian? I actually could see it happen.

Edited by Syraxis

The thread with the most replies wins.

And this is NOT good news, IMO. ID Software was one of only three major remaining independant developers, and this signifies and end to an era. Now there is only Valve and Epic games remaining.

Still 1000 times better news than "EA BUYS ID SOFTWARE!!!

now i wish Zenimax would do something similar few months ago with bioware :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

so they have to agree to be bought.

If it meant having a parent company that's well off and having enough autonomy within the whole company to be able to take risks without facing too much opposition from the parent's management, would Feargus say no? :(

I wonder.

Lol EA is changing, stop making them the greatest evil ever. Others have take that title already.

So this is bad news here. Now id games can only get worse. :|

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Which is why I mentioned indie games and digital distribution. A small company can make awesome games and make money without wasting too much money on XBL, PSN, Wiiware and Steam/whatever.

I've seen this work for puzzle games, platform games, simple arcade games, graphic adventure games. As for complex western CRPGs, I'm not sure I know anyone who's successfully working on that smaller scale other than Jeff Vogel. Otherwise, there are small projects in development whose release dates seem permanently fixed on "when it's done." I don't mean that as a knock against the capability of those guys, it's just that making an Arcanum or a Planescape: Torment takes a hell of a lot of time and more than a handful of people--people who need to be paid if they're going to work on something for "a hell of a lot of time."