Where's our Episode 3, Valve?

Oner

Maybe L4D takes priority? Or they're working on Halflife 3 the full game, not the episodic

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

By the sounds of it, Episode 3 will be more like Half-Life 3.

If it was a big plot twist, then they'd talk about the engine or sexier Alyx animations or something and just avoid plot talk. But they're doing almost the opposite - avoiding engine/mechanics talk.

Well, we know that at least a part of it will take place in Arctic/Antarctic, there will be a bunch of Advisors and it will probably tie in with Portal because the SS Borealis had Aperture Science logo on it.

It will probably tie off all the loose ends and have more of an ending with a nice set up for HL3. Hopefully we get some answers on G-Man as well.

Edited by Purkake

How do you know there's going to be a HL3 (assuming Ep 3 isn't it)? I actually doubt there will be, at least not for a long while (10+ years knowing Valve). The fact of the matter is, Deus Ex and Half-Life both worked because they were close to our future. Get too futuristic and into the future and you stand to lose a lot of the cultural elements that gave the games their compelling atmosphere. Deus Ex 2 failed in this regard, and Half-Life 2 was not the best it could have been but was saved by introducing fresh new dystopic elements. Half-Life 3, that would take place in the far future. There's not much for people to relate to in my mind.

But hell, they could pull it off I guess. I've read some pretty decent books set in the far future, and seen some pretty decent movies.

Maybe L4D takes priority? Or they're working on Halflife 3 the full game, not the episodic

IIRC, L4D is handled by Turtle Rock (now Valve), so that's a seperate team. And there won't be a HL3 before Ep3 comes out. So whatever takes them that long, my guess is they develop new technology for it.

Not exactly. Once L4D was absorbed into Valve the whole studio was working on it for a good while, that's why there was such a delay in TF2 updated content. I imagine there's the same thing going with L4D2. Valve is big but I'd wager they're no Blizzard.

How do you know there's going to be a HL3 (assuming Ep 3 isn't it)? I actually doubt there will be, at least not for a long while (10+ years knowing Valve). The fact of the matter is, Deus Ex and Half-Life both worked because they were close to our future. Get too futuristic and into the future and you stand to lose a lot of the cultural elements that gave the games their compelling atmosphere. Deus Ex 2 failed in this regard, and Half-Life 2 was not the best it could have been but was saved by introducing fresh new dystopic elements. Half-Life 3, that would take place in the far future. There's not much for people to relate to in my mind.

But hell, they could pull it off I guess. I've read some pretty decent books set in the far future, and seen some pretty decent movies.

I seriously doubt that they would finish the story off at EP3, I can see them putting Freeman back into cold storage, but hopefully with more of a twist than G-Man popping up and just snagging you.

Whatever happens after that can happen only a couple of years later with a new problem/threat that G-Man needs you to deal with. They can explore the new society after getting free of the Combine.

There is no way they will take it into the far future, because that would eliminate most of the characters.(I can see Alyx getting boxed with Gordon)

I think there will be a new threat/something at the end of EP3 and Gordon(and Alyx) will get snagged by G-Man. HL3 will begin with you having to escape whatever the G-Man's dimension is and get back to Earth to find that something horrible has happened(again).

I wonder why Valve just haven't "bought" the yet and make a commercial release with it. Or at least release it stand-alone and charge for it. It would only make sense for such an ambitious mod.

I'm pretty sure there was talk about that some time ago. At least Valve is paying attention to them.