Just Cause 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Avalanche arent exactly renowned for caring much about quality of.. well, anything. So Im not touching this. The first game was so broken it was a joke, its baffling how the studio can still keep open.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The first one sucked so much because it was supposed to be a XBOX game, but they had to quickly port it to the 360 when it came out and the original XBOX pretty much disappeared.

Looking at the videos and previews this one seems pretty decent and well-polished. Not to mention crazy-fun.

EDIT: Their last game, The Hunter, which is a browser based hunting game with a modern graphics engine(somewhere around the first STALKER level), was actually pretty good from what I've heard.

Edited by Purkake

Looks like a fun rent at best.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There's supposed to be a demo out pretty soon so you can all try it.

I'm not telling you to buy it, just making sure you're aware of its existence. I'm guessing it will be a super fun game like Red Faction: Guerrilla where the story/characters aren't really the focus.

Ok, so I downloaded the demo off of Steam and played the 30 minutes that you're allowed to play per session.

Those were the best 30 minutes of mindless destruction I have ever played. This game is now on pre-order.

(also, it runs extremely well on my 5870, with everything on max and 1920x180 resolution)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Seriously, I am addicted to those 30 minute sessions now. I've been playing it over and over all evening! The area you're allowed to explore is huge.. but it's such a tiny part of the entire map!! Unbelievably big game! Those 30 minutes are just enough to complete a mission, but I do wish you'd be able to play for as long as you wanted. I would love to just explore the land at my own pace.

Is it wrong of me to hope for a "crack" (removing the time limit) for this demo..? I mean, I have the game on pre-order already, but it's three weeks until it's released! A time limit remover wouldn't be so bad, would it? :/

Managed to get a nice helicopter and dune buggy on my first run. However, the chopper got shot out from underneath me before I left the base I found it in.

:/

Note: The camera is a bit too drunk and swervy for my tastes. It must be interesting with 3d enabled.

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

I played the first one on pc.. and while it was crazy fun in it's way... but after a certain point it was just.. doing the same thing again..and again..and again. I can't quite remember where the tipping point was.. :p

It makes me wonder how much this one will be like that.. "It's another mission where you use the grapple in a crazy way to break into a prison/army base/political house , rip off drug-dealers , kill some official/drugbaron/military officer.. cause several explosions, then ride a vehicle off a cliff while parachuting away to safely."

Fun in doses.. but it was a bit hard to string an entire storyline to that.. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Aaiih, I am still playing it! I've found so many weird and wonderful things! It's so overwhelming! And it's only like 3% of the entire game!! AAIIHH!!

I have played and replayed the Xbox 360 version quite a few times and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I did play the first one for the pc and had a good time. I also tried Just Cause 2 on the pc with my new rig consisting of a AMD Quad @ 3.2 with 8 GB of Ram and a Nvidia 275 GTX, but for some reason, my game freezes up 4-5 minutes into the demo, from steam. Also, for the pc, does anyone else have weird shadow/darkness in the beginning cinematic?

I have to be honest, I like the controls a lot more on the xbox than the pc this time around. Maybe I'm just getting too used to a controller than a mouse and keyboard. From some reason, the pc version seems "shifty" when moving around.

Edited by SadExchange

Also, for the pc, does anyone else have weird shadow/darkness in the beginning cinematic?

Yes, everytime there's a cut-scene actually. I think it's some kind of filter that's not working properly. Perhaps they went for a "grainy movie" kind of filter effect, but on my Radeon 5870 it looks more like a graphical error.

I find myself drawn to these open world/sandbox games, but I usually have trouble finishing them. At first, the prospect of exploring an open world sounds really fun, but I find that without a strong narrative to push the game forward, I usually end up doing a bunch of random stuff then getting bored.

It was pretty much this way with GTA3, Mercernaries 2 and of course Morrowind and Oblivion, among others.

On the other hand the base jumping and parachuting look incredibly fun and I like the over the top action so the demo definitely interests me.

im the same way & i promised myself i wouldnt buy another open world game after the very stale The Saboteur.. i cant find it in myself to finish sandbox games anymore(still havent finished gta4.. but i have been seduced by just cause 2 & i love the demo(except for my sniper rifle not working.

I work with a couple of folks who worked on JC 1 + 2... Quiet Swedes, and that's all I have to say about that.

Yeah, everyone Ive met from the dev team are really nice people. Their problem is probably with the management, who seem to take all the wrong turns and put their money on really horrible game ideas.

Pretty much what they said... They sacked the entire Gameplay team at one point. I won't be buying JC 2.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!