Too plugged in?

LadyCrimson

Music via headphones helps me focus. It creates a bubble of privacy which is almost totally lacking in most offices. I'd suggest you let them get on with it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

First step in getting people to talk to you is being easy.

Although I can get annoyed at cell phone usage among relative strangers, let alone friends. I get phone fatigue relatively quickly myself. Never was one for those half hour phone marathons which apparently some people engage in willingly.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

...a bubble of privacy which is almost totally lacking in most offices....

Yup, these nasty "open office landscapes" are satans invention. Im serious. What you want is peace & quiet, privacy and space. The last time I had to work in a big office like that, I had to buy these huge expensive sound-dampened headphones so I wouldnt be driven mad.

..but the worst thing is when someone walks in and stands right behind you watching you work. That really pisses me off, especially if they give stupid comments

-Cool, you should make the ears bigger, though.

-I know, but Im working on the feet now.

-You could just make the ears bigger real quick right now.

-I will, when Im done with the feet.

-Come on, do the ears already.

-RAAAAAARGH!!!!! KAFTAN SMASH!!!! *violence*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have a suggestion. Travel. Extensively. Preferably by automobile. Who needs the latest survival horror game or movie when you can just get lost in your own mind.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

I'll point out that traveling costs money.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Travelling around China for 3 1/2 weeks, I didn't miss the internet, TV or phone.

However before I left, I had 4 computers (including my laptop) downloading with two turning themselves off after 5 hours. When I got back, there were a ****load of downloads as I left both my g/f's and my own desktops on downloading 24/7 with 45 torrents on each computer. :)

...a bubble of privacy which is almost totally lacking in most offices....

Yup, these nasty "open office landscapes" are satans invention. Im serious. What you want is peace & quiet, privacy and space. The last time I had to work in a big office like that, I had to buy these huge expensive sound-dampened headphones so I wouldnt be driven mad.

..but the worst thing is when someone walks in and stands right behind you watching you work. That really pisses me off, especially if they give stupid comments

-Cool, you should make the ears bigger, though.

-I know, but Im working on the feet now.

-You could just make the ears bigger real quick right now.

-I will, when Im done with the feet.

-Come on, do the ears already.

-RAAAAAARGH!!!!! KAFTAN SMASH!!!! *violence*

The other thing I hate about 'open plan' bureaupits is teh way everyone gets the same cold in about 24 hours. Give us some fething FRESH AIR, you superweasels!

Which is why I work for myself, and have a lovely south facing office of my own.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Have sold ipod ban to office as interesting social experiment for a week to see what happens, a bit like the person in the opening post to this topic.

Cheers

MC

What have I done?

I have brought boredom and despair on an office-ful of innocent people, I am become boredom.

EDIT: Don't blame me if they start a riot and you end up with a stapler through your hand.

Edited by Purkake

The last time I had walk-around portable music was in my late teens when the cassette Sony Walkman's were all the rage, even tho they weighed 20 pounds (ok, j/k..more like 1 or 2). I went through three of those and then one day in a park I was almost run over by a bicyclist when I couldn't hear him coming/his polite "coming through's" in time.

I haven't used one since.

Edit: Wanted to come back and add that I have nothing against such, really. :) Hubby did have a portable CD player and I tried that briefly ... but I hate earbuds and couldn't get used to the world-disconnect anymore. I don't feel safe. I'll take a small boom-box car-camping, tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The last time I had walk-around portable music was in my late teens when the cassette Sony Walkman's were all the rage, even tho they weighed 20 pounds (ok, j/k..more like 1 or 2). I went through three of those and then one day in a park I was almost run over by a bicyclist when I couldn't hear him coming/his polite "coming through's" in time.

I haven't used one since.

Edit: Wanted to come back and add that I have nothing against such, really. :shrugz: Hubby did have a portable CD player and I tried that briefly ... but I hate earbuds and couldn't get used to the world-disconnect anymore. I don't feel safe. I'll take a small boom-box car-camping, tho.

I got used to the un-safeness pretty fast. I have in-ear earbuds that are really comfortable and block most of the outside noise, but I can still easily hear louder stuff like car horn and bicycle bells. I don't really feel deaf or in danger.

If you use the over-the-ear style headphones, you'll have no trouble hearing stuff, unless you are listening to something really loud.

I used to have just one earphone in. Although you get a weird mix of sounds. I like to do it with a new album when I'm in a new place. The sights and music get alloyed.

-Elwood Blues

I got used to the un-safeness pretty fast. I have in-ear earbuds that are really comfortable and block most of the outside noise, but I can still easily hear louder stuff like car horn and bicycle bells. I don't really feel deaf or in danger.

If you use the over-the-ear style headphones, you'll have no trouble hearing stuff, unless you are listening to something really loud.

Yeah, I'm sure most are better at multi-tasking sounds or whatever it is, than myself. Something about having the music directly in my ears like that makes me lose track of anything else. I can listen to music through speakers and I'm not bothered. But then I'm more likely to hear a loud thud in the other room. Headphones for me are like reading a book where you're so immersed that the house could burn down and you wouldn't notice. :shrugz:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts