Swine Flu

Rosbjerg

Swine flu thrives on people with good immune systems. It's the young and healthy more than the old and frail who get it. I just knew all those years of smoking and no exercise would pay off.

Not quite. The old seem to have an immunity based off exposure to the 1915 (?) strain that killed a whole bunch.

And the Hong Kong flu from the 70's or something .. basically everyone 40+ who had that virus, or got a vaccine, is safe from this one.. at least that's what a doctor told me.

But all in all, it seems the Swine Flu won't be a big problem unless it mutates further.. right now it's just a pretty bad influenza (which is pretty nasty in itself, but not life-threatening for the majority)

Fortune favors the bald.

I'll get worried the day it turns people into pigs.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

oink.

IF i had it three weeks ago, it wasn't that bad but it wasn't good, either. i'm still suffering the lingering cough as a result. actually, i've had a lingering cough since march from my last flu bout (probably the worst i've had in 20 years). i can tell it's still the illness and not just the original lingering cough, however, since it feels a bit different than it did prior to catching whatever it was 3 weeks ago (it is very slowly getting better).

one of my pool teammates has the same lingering cough which he caught around the end of february. his doc is treating him the same was as mine is treating me (more than one has looked at my case, btw). in other words, they have no idea what's wrong so they're running us both through all the same treatments hoping one of them hits paydirt. one of the treatmens is simply suppression through the use of codeine, but i don't like codeine, and most other cough medicines don't really work (dextromethorphan sort of works, but it hurts my stomach so i can't use it daily).

oh well... i don't want to go back to the doctor until i'm sure this latest flu/cold thingy is gone so it'll be another week or two before they try a different approach. not sure what's next.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, i should add the european literature apparently discusses a "post viral cough" that is known to linger after a flu/cold but there's no real supportive evidence (only anecdotal) i guess. supposedly it simply goes away with time. yay.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hum, i had a smaller cold in july. Really weird though, i had no fever, but i could barely brush my teeth without sweat starting to pour down my back, and i had a terrible ache in every muscle in my body. No headache, no sore throat, just a little cough. It went away after two days though, so i didn't bother to check with the hospital.

Lately a lot friends have had a sore throat/cough and a fever, but none of them have bother to check with the hospital either, they just stayed at home and waited until they got better. I am well at least atm.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i'm guessing *oink* that i don't need it.

taks

Hold on, does this make you a fascist pig?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.