Fallout designer Jason Anderson joins inXile For new RPG

funcroc

I could really use a crpg with a good story, interesting NPCS, rich world to explore, lots of cool stuff to find, actions that have consquences, interesting combat, climbing, driveable vehicles, huge map, versatile and enjoyable character development...

;(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I could really use a crpg with a good story, interesting NPCS, rich world to explore, lots of cool stuff to find, actions that have consquences, interesting combat, climbing, driveable vehicles, huge map, versatile and enjoyable character development...

;(

Keep dreaming. This is InXile we are talking about, not Obsidian.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

;(

Keep dreaming. This is InXile we are talking about, not Obsidian.

My dream died when Halo sold a billion copies.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

When I worked as a games journalist I talked to Brian Fargo. He expressed interest in using the Wasteland license back then, but that's probably 5 years ago or something. One can hope though!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Driveable vehicles are right up there with pretty shoes on the list of "things I don't look for in an RPG." Driveable vehicles were done perfectly back in Ultima Endbracket Beginbracket and no one's improved on it since.

I just think driveable vehicles are required in order to implement a nice big map. Much like I think climbing is critical for any game that wants to implement any sort of thief gameplay. But, yes, I would walk the map quite happily if I could get everything else except the vehicles.

note that driveable vehicles could also be animals or flying carpets in different world builds.

There were "driveable vehicles" in Wasteland :D

Oh, and I have the exact same game feature wishlist as Crashgirl, except I don't just want a huge map, I want a freaking country! Daggerfall had the perfect size. Imagine having a country to drive around in, a vehicle you can upgrade (just like your own character) through quests/buyable parts/character skill, several different cities to explore, a strong, interesting story, well-written dialogue, meaningful sidequests, a post-apocalyptic setting..

It will probably never happen, although I am keeping a close eye on Rage, Borderlands and FUEL.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22790

so, inXile is making a new Wastelands game?

This does not bode well for the FO MMO. He left interplay (and the V13 project) to go there...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

This does not bode well for the FO MMO. He left interplay (and the V13 project) to go there...

The fact that Interplay is developing it doesn't bode well for the FO MMO. It's like the worst plan ever imagined.

Jeez. How long was he with Interplay? COuldn't have been very long. Not a good sign at all for the mmorpg.

I like the idea of a huge open world, but when I look at all the games I've most enjoyed over the years, they tend to be on a much smaller scale.

I tend to agree. Much the same way I like the idea of a learn-by-doing skill system, but my actual experiences with them has been not so great.

Open worlds tend to be difficult due to traveling needs and narrative needs.

I think both an open world and a learn-by-doing skill system COULD be done. But it would take a dedicated developer to get it to really work.

And I will say that Daggerfall came darn close to pulling off the open world thing successfully. I haven't found Bethesda's laters attempts to be all that successful though until FO3. And FO3's scale is really too small to be really an open world.

That's a year and a half on the mumorperger - a fair amount.

Yeah. I thought he was just there for a few months based on my few brief looks art the Interplay forum recently.

From a fresh interview talking about why he left interplay/v13:

Q: Did you leave that project because of internal factors, or simply because inXile seemed better for you?

JA: The future of the -- well, I don't know if I want to go there. [inXile] was a more stable opportunity. I wasn't even in the process of looking when this opportunity arose. It was a perfect fit.

That does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the status of the v13 project...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Jason Anderson interview - Gamasutra

He's one of those developers who can't seem to find a steady company to work in. I wonder if he's just plagued with bad luck or has personality trait that leads him to all those unfortunate situations. From interview it's said that he moved to real estate for while after Troika fell.

My wife was going to take a shot at real estate. We actually ended up putting our money into houses in Arizona, which is probably the worst thing anyone could ever do.

Talk about bad timing :lol:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Since Fargo acquired the rights to it, one can only assume he intends to make it. Hopefully, he won't try to aim it at the mainstream Halo gamer market

So, what's the exact difference between Fallout and Wasteland anyway?

Wasteland was more about grit and "realism" than either of the Fallouts. Realism in the sense that weapons were real life weapons with corresponding ammo. Same with explosives and armour and general equipment. Of course, that changed in the later parts of the game when it started to involve robots and laser guns.

There is definitely not as much humour/easter eggs as in the Fallouts and the gameplay was a mixture of problem solving and combat. There are STILL some riddles in Wasteland that I'm not sure I've figured out! Also, the character development is learn-by-doing AND traditional spending of skill points. It's a fantastic system and even if you could abuse it (I remember willingly falling into a river just so my swimming skills would improve as I tumbled down the rapids..), it was very difficult to abuse in any meaningful ways. There was a limited amount of ammo in the world (!), so you couldn't exactly stand around shooting your automatic rifle at nothing just to improve your skills. Also, the learn by doing was somewhat random. If you scored a good hit with a low level weapon on a high level enemy, chances were you'd improve your weapon skill (assault rifles on the Scorpitron FOR TEH WIN), but it never made the game unbalanced.

Wasteland was a game about the world after a World War 3 that would have taken place in the late 80's. Fallout was a game about an alternative world after a World War 3 that might have happened if the bombs had dropped in the mid 50's.

Jason said that his wife invested heavily in pre-bust Arizona real estate. Maybe Fargo just offered him more money.

Edited by crakkie

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.