Bioshock 2 in next PC Gamer

funcroc

Only thing I don,t like so far is the return of the vita-chambers. Other than that, looks alright to me.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What they shouldn't do is make another game without any semblance of difficulty (it won't work twice) or where you feel that you're boxed in by what has already been established about the Big Daddy.

I think it is quite silly to take a super powerful character from a previous game, give you that character to play, and then make it weak and pathetic, just to add challenge. ANd then totally destroy the concept of challenge in the first place by having rez tubes. The Big Daddy doesn't need rez tubes. The Big Daddy kicks splicers faces in.

Did I hit a nerve or something?

Only in the sense that I think nerfing the Big D would completely kill the only reason I would be interested in the game.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What they shouldn't do is make another game without any semblance of difficulty (it won't work twice) or where you feel that you're boxed in by what has already been established about the Big Daddy.

I think it is quite silly to take a super powerful character from a previous game, give you that character to play, and then make it weak and pathetic, just to add challenge. ANd then totally destroy the concept of challenge in the first place by having rez tubes. The Big Daddy doesn't need rez tubes. The Big Daddy kicks splicers faces in.

Did I hit a nerve or something?

Only in the sense that I think nerfing the Big D would completely kill the only reason I would be interested in the game.

They said the other Big Daddies, your enemies, would be hard to fight against. And the Big Sister battles are apparently you just trying to hold on for dear life as she beats the crap out of you.

This game will be Bioshock in name only if you don't get to shoot little sisters in the face.

you'll be happy then, in my copy of game informer theres a screen shot of you standing staring at a little sister with the options "Harvest" and "adopt"

*runs off and actually reads the article*

Looks like plasmids are changing to be more like the weapons from the ratchet and clank games. You upgrade them and the ability differs slightly (so for the incinerate ability it starts as "light with a snap" then upgrades to fireball and finally "shoot flame from your hand!"). They're focusing on having players have different builds for their characters (which will probably end up having people run around with cookie cutters a la Diablo2).

When you adopt a little sister you basically run around and can have her harvest adam from dead bodies. Problem comes when all of a sudden splicers come boiling out of the walls and trying to get at her. You as a big daddy have to kick the crap out of them, but it'll be a situation where the ants attack with enough people to simply overwhelm the daddy (that's gonna be a difficult balance IMHO). You can also help the sisters escape rapture (doesn't mention more than that really).

I sounds like they're making the big sister in to Nemesis from RE3 (in terms of gameplay), always just randomly showing up to try to whup your ass. And she's vicious

The consequence less death looks to be making a return as the devs don't want to "loose progress" much if you die so that anyone can finish the game. You can switch them off in the basic game however.

That's about all the basics that were gleaned from the first read through of the article.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

This game will be Bioshock in name only if you don't get to shoot little sisters in the face.

you'll be happy then, in my copy of game informer theres a screen shot of you standing staring at a little sister with the options "Harvest" and "adopt"

*runs off and actually reads the article*

Looks like plasmids are changing to be more like the weapons from the ratchet and clank games. You upgrade them and the ability differs slightly (so for the incinerate ability it starts as "light with a snap" then upgrades to fireball and finally "shoot flame from your hand!"). They're focusing on having players have different builds for their characters (which will probably end up having people run around with cookie cutters a la Diablo2).

When you adopt a little sister you basically run around and can have her harvest adam from dead bodies. Problem comes when all of a sudden splicers come boiling out of the walls and trying to get at her. You as a big daddy have to kick the crap out of them, but it'll be a situation where the ants attack with enough people to simply overwhelm the daddy (that's gonna be a difficult balance IMHO). You can also help the sisters escape rapture (doesn't mention more than that really).

I sounds like they're making the big sister in to Nemesis from RE3 (in terms of gameplay), always just randomly showing up to try to whup your ass. And she's vicious

The consequence less death looks to be making a return as the devs don't want to "loose progress" much if you die so that anyone can finish the game. You can switch them off in the basic game however.

That's about all the basics that were gleaned from the first read through of the article.

Great, add the mandatory 10h of Pipe Dream and you got yourself an Eurogamer 10/10.

That kills my interest. WHatever little there was.

Oh well, there is always Fallout 4.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually big sister doesn't randomly show up, you trigger her appearing by interfereing with the little sisters and big daddies. According to a bit I just re-read, after killing a big daddy and harvesting/adopting it's little sister (who trusts you implicitly) you get a notification about how angry Big Sister is getting, she gets to angry and she runs you down and tries to kill you. Now to me this rings of people going through, adopting their first little sister, then using her for the rest of the damn game, maybe saving only enough little sisters so that you are ALMOST on Big Sister's hit list. On the flip side, if they **** up balance to much and Big Sister is easy for the usual reasons of "she's dumb as a box of rocks, just gotta keep avoiding her attacks" you'll probably save every single sister and simply beat the crap out of big sister every time she appears. On the other hand they might make her way to hard so you find that you're not saving anyone for fear of getting her ire.

Difficulty with this game is going to be one HELL of a balancing act. You've gotta make splicers easy enough to keep the feeling of "I'm da MAN!" intact, but hard enough that in groups they can take down the PC. You've gotta keep Big Sister hard enough that the player will actually fear her, but not maker her so hard that he won't try to incur her wrath for the fact that she'll kill you with a look, but not so easy that she gets dealt with on a regular basis...

With this kind of gameplay, I assume its going to be a sandbox type of game?

Umm, Bioshock was a series of sandboxes, I doubt that this is any different.

What people need to get right is that playing "good" should be harder by default and the reward should just be being "good". The choice is totally meaningless in Bioshock, because Tenenbaum will send you "gifts" that actually have more Adam that harvesting IIRC.

The choice is totally meaningless in Bioshock, because Tenenbaum will send you "gifts" that actually have more Adam that harvesting IIRC.

lol. Once I realized that, it was the beginning of the end for me. Bioshock is the king of meaningless choices.

The choice is totally meaningless in Bioshock, because Tenenbaum will send you "gifts" that actually have more Adam that harvesting IIRC.

lol. Once I realized that, it was the beginning of the end for me. Bioshock is the king of meaningless choices.

At least you get to be evil Bio-Hitler at the end...

But Bioshock at the very least has strong narrative to keep the player going forward to reach a goal. But by playing as a big daddy, its difficult to picture what motivations and goals a Big Daddy has in mind to keep the gameplay moving forward.

But Bioshock at the very least has strong narrative to keep the player going forward to reach a goal. But by playing as a big daddy, its difficult to picture what motivations and goals a Big Daddy has in mind to keep the gameplay moving forward.

I, personally, see a lot of resemblances between the Big Daddy and a Golem. Golems though powerful, were vulnerable to certain things and were also at times capable of unexpected complexitiies.

Were I the writer of Bioshock 2 and was ordered to do a Big Story on a Big Dadday, I woudl have gone back into history and read up on some of the myths and legends of the Golem. There is a lot of interesting material there.

It's not like that at all, you are no ordinary Big Daddy. You are special, being the first one probably gives you super-sentience and over-arching goals like killing the Big Sister and escaping Rapture to graze on beautiful green fields.

You're the first big daddy created, so you probably don't have the inherent programming of your successors. You are also not as burly as them but have more agility (probably so that they didn't have to hamper how players moved). For the most part the story is being kept under lock and key, but from what I understand you're trying to prevent the big sister from creating more little sisters and keeping rapture in a weird state of existence. the game takes place 10 years after the events of the first, and Big sis is actually one of the little sisters you saved in the first game. I'd guess that your programming as a big daddy is to help the little sisters, but it got mucked up a tiny bit so that you want to rescue them from their existence rather than perpetuate this little shop of horrors.

I think being the first Big Daddy just means you're more human and less of an armored retard with a drill.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Why are you playing the first Big Daddy when the game takes place 10 years after the original? There were other Big Daddys before, and why are you more human like this time?

I think that you accidently stumbled upon the great plot twist in Bioshock 2, congrats.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why are you playing the first Big Daddy when the game takes place 10 years after the original? There were other Big Daddys before, and why are you more human like this time?

Because that's whats been released by the developers as what's happening?

Because you're the prototype for the others! Which is a fascinating idea, really. It would make the character potentially more human, if you assume they devolved into what we saw in Bioshock 1.

Maybe.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think being the first Big Daddy just means you're more human and less of an armored retard with a drill.

Can I make a console gamer joke here. Please?

Rapture was founded in 1946, the first game took place in 1960, and the second takes place ten years later. If the Big Daddies were *made,* how old were they in the first game? 14?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Can I make a console gamer joke here. Please?

I don't think anyone will mind. :thumbsup: