Learning Guitar

alanschu

I can sing along to Last Kiss and Leaving on a Jet Plane pretty well though.

I played that to death when I was a kid, along with a lot of other folksy melodies, heheh I never got past chords/bar chords tho. Largely strummed those chords for all I was worth. Mom made me do it. I had an acoustic Martin that was small enough to fit my short fingers. Nice guitar. I can't believe how much some people ask for them on ebay now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can now pretty much play Oasis' Wonderwall now too!

I don't know it it's too early for you, but Bright Eyes' "First Day of My Life" is a nice song to have a go at.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Lamentations of Black Isle?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In other news, getting much faster at that chromatic scale, and the E phrygian scale. Also learning a blues scale now.

Yeah, I'm learning the pentatonic blues scale, the pinky work is hard for me at the moment but it'll get stronger hopefully.

I have heard of the pentatonic scale, but my lessons haven't taken me there quite yet.

My pinky is slowly getting stronger too. Playing some Em7 open chord songs where the 1st and 2nd strings stay pressed the hole time have helped with that haha

A pentatonic scale is a five note scale, and the pentatonic minor scale is the "blues" scale.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Don't let your 6-string Squier be hindrance, just down-tune it to F#, almost an octave lower than the standard tuning >_<

Good luck!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

• 2 weeks later...

Once you can do barre chords comfortably it increases your flexibility with the frets immensely. I have small hands so its a pain, though.

I know of barre chords but haven't really explicitly practiced them. The B chord for instance is a barre chord, and I play the Bm a fair bit in songs that I practice.

I do have some practice barring the open D chord because I am shifting to F# for a song, so that sort of counts too. Starting to get a callous on the side of my index finger haha.

But I have messed around with practicing them. They can be hard due to strings getting muted. I find it helps to rotate my index finger a bit onto its side to prevent strings from getting muted.

Mostly I play with my acoustic, and I notice when I go over to the electric I find myself pushing unnecessarily hard on the strings to the point where I end up muting adjacent strings (or sending them into harmonics).

Songs I can play quite well are:

Wonderwall

Hey There Delilah

Last Kiss

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Had some fun with the electric and put on some distortion to mess around with Keep on Rocking in the Free World ;)

• 2 weeks later...