Learning Guitar

alanschu

I mean mom

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

At a certain point, you are going to be discouraged. You will feel as though there is an insurmountable obstacle before you in playing guitar. But my advice is to stay with it. You'll overcome the difficulties if you continue trying.

Guest The Architect
Never!

I just think of all the women that will swoon and perform all sorts of crazy sexual acts with me and I feel better! ;)

I thought I told you alcohol was not the solution to your problems! :w00t:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

• 3 weeks later...

Today was pretty good! Probably played guitar for over 6 hours!

Another song I played around with was Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss. It's probably my best song now!

I am getting decent at chords, but still struggle with individual notes. I am thinking that more scale practice will help with that though.

Was mucho fun though!

My song "repertoire" is still work in progress for most of them, but the songs so far are:

Last Kiss

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Brown Eyed Girl

Summer of '69

American Pie

Times Like These

That's roughly in rank of how well I can play them too.

The thing that was funny was Last Kiss goes G Em C D and Brown Eyed Girl (which I had played a ton of first that uses a similar strumming pattern) goes G C G D so when playing Last Kiss at first I would always go G C instead of G Em :biggrin:

Had an absolute blast today though. Did piss all for school related stuff :p

Yeah Foo Fighters acoustic.

I still struggle with the chord transitions in that one as going from the D to the Am with pinky on G for the high e string slows me down a bit, but it's getting there.

I can sing along to Last Kiss and Leaving on a Jet Plane pretty well though.

Sweet my parents got me a Fender Squier for my birthday!

(though when tuning it I tightened the strings too tight and when playing the high e string broke >_<)

Still, awesome gift and totally unexpected!

Getting better and better and it's starting to become a problem as it swallows up my time!!!

Sweet my parents got me a Fender Squier for my birthday!

(though when tuning it I tightened the strings too tight and when playing the high e string broke >_<)

Still, awesome gift and totally unexpected!

Getting better and better and it's starting to become a problem as it swallows up my time!!!

Your parents made a good choice. Fender Squier is actually THE entry-level guitar for any aspiring guitarist. IIRC Kurt Cobain had one ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I guess it was hella cheap. My Mom went to the store to pick up picks, a capo, and a tuner, and then just asked about the price of a new guitar and an amp.

Upon finding out the price, she phoned my Dad and asked if it was a deal, and after finding out it came with an amp among other things, my Dad said yup without even looking at it haha.

Krookie when you go to buy an electric guitar don't get a Squier.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

A Squier is a fine entry level guitar. Still, once you get the urge to buy guitars on your own after becoming more comfortable playing, make sure to try out many different ones at a guitar shop. You can listen to experts blabber on all day about which ones are good and which ones are not (it can be worth listening to in terms of how the guitar holds up throughout the years though), but always go for the ones which you *like* to play. Sometimes, this can mean even old, used, beat up pieces of crap. Always choose the ones that make you feel good about playing them.

Glad to hear things are progressing!

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

A Squier is a fine entry level guitar. Still, once you get the urge to buy guitars on your own after becoming more comfortable playing, make sure to try out many different ones at a guitar shop. You can listen to experts blabber on all day about which ones are good and which ones are not (it can be worth listening to in terms of how the guitar holds up throughout the years though), but always go for the ones which you *like* to play. Sometimes, this can mean even old, used, beat up pieces of crap. Always choose the ones that make you feel good about playing them.

Glad to hear things are progressing!

Well, there are other things to keep in mind when buying a guitar. If you want that special sound, it's very important which pickups you choose (I strongly recommend Seymour Duncan pickups). I'd also watch out for cheap tremolo bars. I don't know if it's an issue when you play the guitar, but when you choose an electric bass you have to think about if you'll use heavy gauge strings. For example, if you tune your guitar or bass to D or C# you'll notice it's easier playing with a heavier gauge :). Different guitars and basses are fitted with a saddle that's optimized for different gauges.

And then there's also the Floyd Rose Tremolo, but by the time you'll be interested in that, you're probably not a beginner anymore.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

If you're planning on playing guitar for a while, I'd say not buy equiptment that you feel is at your "level", and just buy good stuff. Not only will it last longer and you'll actually want to play the stuff when you get better, but if you spend some more money on a guitar that's built better and is easier to play, and sounds better, you're likely to want to play more. You're better off getting any Mexican made Fender for around 300-400 dollars than getting a Squier.