DRM Thread

I've never understood why any companies bother trying to get their stuff pulled from Youtube. The quality is lousy and who the heck is going to watch an entire movie on that thing? It really is just free advertising, because if someone really wants to enjoy the show, they will end up buying it.

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with DRM.

Besides, its like saying "advertising works!!!"

One would think so, right? Yet Google is being sued every whichway by Hollywood and the RIAA because their stuff is on YouTube.

Hurlshoot: it helps to understand the mindset of the people implementing DRM before you go defending it.

Besides, its like saying "advertising works!!!"

One would think so, right? Yet Google is being sued every whichway by Hollywood and the RIAA because their stuff is on YouTube.

Hurlshoot: it helps to understand the mindset of the people implementing DRM before you go defending it.

Ah, so because it works for Monty Python, with the permission of the Monty Python cast, that has a long history of supporters and so forth, it's obvious that if every thing was available for free on Youtube, sales would skyrocket 23000% and the economic crisis would be over!!!111oneone

Nice work!

I'm sure sales would have gone up even more had the Monty Python crew just given everyone in the world a DVD of each of their movies and their TV show.

Edited by alanschu

Prince of Persia PC DRM Free apparently.

Thought some people here might be interested in this news.

I found it quite interesting that they did this. Looking at it from one perspective, Ubisoft basically called the bluff of many pirates ("We only pirate because of the eeeeevil DRM")... and judging from a few torrent tracker sites I looked at, the pirates were basically proven to be full of sh*t. :shifty:

Actually, according to a number of posts/indications on the Ubisoft website, the piracy rate for the Prince of Persia has been unusually low.

Sources that provides some figures? Posts from borderline trolls like Sblade saying things like "Ubi won't release information, that must mean removing DRM was a complete success!!!!11!!oneone" are basically worthless.

If Prince of Persia was an unmitigated sales success, do you think that publishers would take notice?

Prince of Persia sold about 2.2 million copies since December (http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15677) and the vast majority of those sales seem to be for the PC, since only about 483 thousand were console sales (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21937). Yet for some reason Ubisoft still calls Prince of Persia a 'slow starter' despite these excellent sales figures. This could mean one of two things. Either Ubisoft is referring only to the console sales as a slow-starter, since the PC sales are actually excellent, or Ubisoft does not want to give ammunition to DRM critics and wants to portray its experiment of a DRM-free game as a failure so that it can continue to use draconian DRM and say "hey, we tried" to the critics. So why would it want to use draconian DRM? Perhaps to prevent second-hand sales rather than to prevent piracy...

I will reiterate that I don't actually mind DRM (not even SecuROM). I only mind draconian DRM or DDRM, which requires online activation or install limits and thus artificially decreases the longevity of games.

Edited by Magister Lajciak

Based on the link it definitely seems like they were hoping for more total sales.

Though I'm confused, as they talk about discrepancy between Eidos reporting 1.5 million units of Tomb Raider, but NPD reporting much smaller numbers.

Are we comparing units shipped to units sold at retail?

EDIT: The 400k number is US sales only. I'd need to see a breakdown of where PC and Console sales were going.

Edited by alanschu

Unfortunately console sales seem to be all that matters to publishers these days.

You may be right. >_<

Based on the link it definitely seems like they were hoping for more total sales.

It seems so. But the PC logged more than 1.7 million sales, which is very impressive in one month for the PC platform. It is not record breaking (Ubisoft is no Blizzard), but very impressive nonetheless. I doubt even games like Fallout 3 sold that many copies on the PC even as of today (I have no data - just an assumption on my part that the majority of the 3+ million Fallout 3 sales were for consoles). The fact that console sales did pretty poorly at 483 thousand is another matter.

Though I'm confused, as they talk about discrepancy between Eidos reporting 1.5 million units of Tomb Raider, but NPD reporting much smaller numbers.

NPD is reporting only console sales in this case and only in the U.S.. The 1.5 million number is total sales worldwide.

EDIT: The 400k number is US sales only. I'd need to see a breakdown of where PC and Console sales were going.

Good point actually. I doubt we will find the data though.

Wait, the 1.7 million isn't necessarily PC right?

It's just not US console sales?

Yep, that was my mistake - I simply subtracted the console sales from the 2.2 million to reach the more than 1.7 million sales number. But I didn't notice that the 2.2 million refers to worldwide sales, while the 483 thousand refers to console sales in the U.S. - that makes the picture much murkier. It means we simply have no clue what is happening with respect to the structure of sales. Even so, I would argue that 2.2 million worldwide sales is not a bad number in such a short space of time, particularly when in comparison with FarCry 2 (which is being praised by Ubisoft in the same article) that achieved 2.9 million worldwide sales, but over a longer period (it was released earlier).

Okay that's what I thought. I saw you agree with my post on one perspective, yet the earlier part seemed to go against it, so I wasn't sure exactly what you were saying.

I'm guessing the post was stream of consciousness :)

What were the sales figures of other Prince of Persia games? Maybe they sold faster? Maybe the Ubi execs were sniffing glue when they outlined their expectations?

Okay that's what I thought. I saw you agree with my post on one perspective, yet the earlier part seemed to go against it, so I wasn't sure exactly what you were saying.

I'm guessing the post was stream of consciousness :)

Yeah, my consciousness sometimes streams in strange ways. :)

Maybe the Ubi execs were sniffing glue when they outlined their expectations?

Lol, that may be the case!

Maybe the Ubi execs were sniffing glue when they outlined their expectations?

Lol, that may be the case!

I would say most of the execs are doing that while outlining their expectations, and not only in gaming business :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Verisign certs are DRM?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It kinda is... DRM Digital Rights Management... With this certificate, they gave you the right to use the game only for limited time... after it expires and someone says that it's to much trouble for him to renew the certificate of the game again, you end up with coaster...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours