NWN 2 +

Kurdt_Lycan

Why are all three of NWN2 games - OC, MotB, SoZ so damn lacking in performance - laggy, low FPS etc. Compared to Assassins Creed and Far Cry 2 this game runs like shat. Is it the engine? Just asking. All of my games run so much better than this game and I love NWN. Furthermore, I get the feeling that the engine NWN2 runs on is quite old. Shouldn't it run like Butter? What up? Just asking.

~Kurdt

Also, what in the world happened to the online community of NWN? Man it's like they just left us stranded. Nobody is playing online. Do I need to jump to Warhammer? I don't want to. I love NWN2 but this kinda blows as is.

Mainboard : Intel OEMD975XBGG1

Chipset : Intel i975X

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz

Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Hard Disk : ST3500630AS (500 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N ATA Device

DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD D DH16D1P ATA Device

Monitor Type : X241W - 24 inches

Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/1000 PM

Operating System : Windows Vista Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

DirectX : Version 10.00

Windows Performance Index : 5.9

Edited by Kurdt_Lycan

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

~President Merkin Muffley

Moved to the game section.

Yes, the core engine (Aurora) is getting a bit on the old side. When was it designed and development started? Around the time Baldurs Gate 1 was released? Around a decade ago?

Edit: Not sure which part of the combined package had a negative impact on performance of the originally released NWN2 though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i don't have any problems with it. there must be a user configuration issue (windows) that impacts performance. now, i have lots of anomalies, but my framerate is pretty solid.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've been having one or two slowdown moments so far in my run through the OC (the orc ambush during the search for the Wendersnaven was somehow a bit laggy), but altogether it's not such a big issue. The loading times, however, are teh suck. I've 6 gigs of memory and they still take too bloody long.

Edited by Pope

I've been having one or two slowdown moments so far in my run through the OC (the orc ambush during the search for the Wendersnaven was somehow a bit laggy), but altogether it's not such a big issue. The loading times, however, are teh suck. I've 6 gigs of memory and they still take too bloody long.

Yeah, I am gonna try what Karka linked from tweakguides to see if that helps. I will let you know later on.

Edit: Not sure which part of the combined package had a negative impact on performance of the originally released NWN2 though.
It was the original NWN2. Things have improved since then, however there's the new and still existant bug with custom portraits. The framerate halves if any character / animal companion with a custom portrait is in the party, and you have to examine them or any item in the inventory to get the framerate back up.
Also, what in the world happened to the online community of NWN?
There are some pretty cool persistent worlds out there :) One problem is that it's a lot more difficult to create such worlds with the new toolset, but the results are rewarding, imo. There also seem to be problems with the DM client. Both these things result in a less active online community. Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Load times do seem a bit long.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, that bothers me a lot in SoZ, because there are these fights on the overland map (especially if you go for bounties that rarely seem to drop). Even if it's only 10 seconds or so, constant walk some seconds - load - fight - load - walk some seconds is frustrating.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yeah, I am gonna try what Karka linked from tweakguides to see if that helps. I will let you know later on.

Yeah, it just seems that certain maps are really choppy. For example, the Openpalm Bazaar is just sad. No fun even being there. What up with that? I guess I will try it with V-Sync on and Triple Bufffering this time. Putting the game on a single processer did seem to speed up the loading times. But I have the mouse scrolls (all of them) put to the slowest possible and in the Bazzaar they are still wicked fast. I imagine it is going to have to be patched over time.

Try de-fragmenting the drive NWN2 is installed on. That helped my loading times A LOT.

Really? Will do. ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Whenever the loading screens annoy me (especially when the bar re-sets!), I just think of Gothic 3.

Happy place.