CANADA MAY NO LONGER BE A DEMOCRACY!

Volourn

Nope. In fcat, the last 4 elections (IIRC) since Jean chretien retired have all been minority governments (1 liberal, and 3 conservatives).

"If you wanted a guaranteed Conservative government, you should have given them an absolute majority in Parliament."

Canada made its chocie. We wanted a minority Conservative governement. Our votes should count!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes. Get on it. If this crap goes through, get on it. No need of a war though. Just twist Britian's arm.. remind them of the Amerikan war of Independence. Tell them to give us Kanadians TRUE freedom. Not LIMITED freedom.

Canada made its chocie. We wanted a minority Conservative governement. Our votes should count!

Your vote did count. The Conservatives were given a minority government. That means they have to work with the other parties. When was the last time that the Harper government attempted to find solutions to the oppositions objections rather than declare the bill a confidence vote and play legislative chicken? Harper has failed in this vital aspect of governing a minority government and thus IMO no longer deserves to lead this country.

EDIT: And it's only been the last three governments that were minorities. 2 conservative and a liberal before that. That only goes back to October 2004.

Edited by Deraldin

"Your vote did count The Conservatives were given a minority government. That means they have to work with the other parties. When was the last time that the Harper government attempted to find solutions to the oppositions objections rather than declare the bill a confidence vote and play legislative chicken? Harper has failed in this vital aspect of governing a minority government and thus IMO no longer deserves to lead this country."

You werne't paying attention. He actually scratched the big issue the other parties were whining about. He was just trying to work with them. They had this planned for awhile. Either way, it's irrelevant. Kanada's vote didn't count if this takeover is okayed by the stupid British. It's sad the British willd ecide who will run this country and not Kanadian voters.

The country voted a Conservative Minority into power. Yet, instead, we're going to end up with the Losers' Club in power. Disgusting, and anti democratic no matter how you cut it.

"God save the queen. May the British Empire rule over those Canuks forever."

Good thing I beleive God is a piece of crap who likes to murder children so I don't care what he thinks. And, how many queens have been murdered? seems to me, he hasn't done a good job saving them. R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

"Your vote did count The Conservatives were given a minority government. That means they have to work with the other parties. When was the last time that the Harper government attempted to find solutions to the oppositions objections rather than declare the bill a confidence vote and play legislative chicken? Harper has failed in this vital aspect of governing a minority government and thus IMO no longer deserves to lead this country."

You werne't paying attention. He actually scratched the big issue the other parties were whining about. He was just trying to work with them. They had this planned for awhile. Either way, it's irrelevant. Kanada's vote didn't count if this takeover is okayed by the stupid British. It's sad the British willd ecide who will run this country and not Kanadian voters.

The country voted a Conservative Minority into power. Yet, instead, we're going to end up with the Losers' Club in power. Disgusting, and anti democratic no matter how you cut it.

I was paying attention. I was paying attention when the conservatives pulled those issues off the table, only after the opposition said they were forming a coalition. It wasn't about working with the other parties, it was about backpedaling on a stupid move, that they should have known would get the opposition up in arms, as fast as they possibly could.

Totally ireelevant. But, hey, I guess Kanada isn't a TRUE demcoracy. We're still slaves to the British queen. A change of governemtn without an actual election is absolutely bogus barring the governemtn in power is actually breka major laws. In fact, even the Liberals didn't get ousted when it became clear they were a bunch of theives. They were simply punished in the next election as it should be.

Here's to an NDP/Liberal coalition!

The Liberals are stagnant, and the NDP wouldn't be my first choice, but they're both better than the Conservatives, and most importantly actually represent the will of the people (i.e. democracy).

Between the Liberals, NDP, BQ, and the Greens, you've got over 60% of the electorate voting for centrist or left-wing parties, and yet it's the right-wing party that forms government. If ever there was a reason for proportional representation or preferential voting, Canada is it.

P.S. lol at Volourn ranting about being a slave to the Queen.

Yes. Get on it. If this crap goes through, get on it. No need of a war though. Just twist Britian's arm.. remind them of the Amerikan war of Independence. Tell them to give us Kanadians TRUE freedom. Not LIMITED freedom.

why do you always spell them with ks

In Europe, Canada is written with a capital 'K'. Thus, Volo is simply tapping into his european ancestery.

Aside from that, this situation looks really weak. These kinds of "hostile takeovers" should be illegal and punishable with treason.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In Europe, Canada is written with a capital 'K'. Thus, Volo is simply tapping into his european ancestery.

Aside from that, this situation looks really weak. These kinds of "hostile takeovers" should be illegal and punishable with treason.

It's not a "hostile takeover", it's a vote of no confidence.

It's not illegal, it's an enshrined right to protect the democratic nature of government. If the minority government could do whatever it wanted without fear of backlash for not consulting with the opposition, that wouldn't exactly be fair. It's a core concept in Westminster systems but I doubt it's unique to our governments. If the minority government is governing properly, and consulting the other parties instead of trying to bully them into submission, it would never happen - see New Zealand.

There's always a power grab element to it (just like there was for the Conservatives when they called an election rather early), but the fact remains that the Conservatives were essentially ignoring opposition, trying to pass rather aggressive policies against them (strip their party funding to make them bankrupt), and not stimulating an economy heading into recession. That doesn't hold water when, as I said, they aren't even represented by 40% of the electorate.

And a vote of no confidence certainly shouldn't be "punishable with treason".

It may be legal, but it's very much immoral. The Kanadian public voted, and they wanted a Conservative Minority Government. This is undipustable. It's dispicable. And, to me, it is treasonous to spit on the peopel's wishes in a supposed Democratic country.

"it's an enshrined right to protect the democratic nature of government."

Exept it does no such bthing. It spits on the Demoracy. Kanadians didn't vote for the otehr parties to lead.

What's hilarious that this GOONISH GANG is being led by a punbk whose own party basically trashed because theys aw as unfit to lead. LMAO What a joke.

And, it's a hostile takeover. Because, they can do this without the permission of the Kanadian people. They just need to suck up to our Masters from Britian. Pathetic.

I hope the OPPOSITION is turned down, and we head to another election. It'll cost money; but it would be the Liberals and co who should be blamed, and I hope it shows up in the polls.

L0L Kanada a democrayc L0L

Not if this goes through. This will be an unlected government. Might as well just call us a Dictatorship.

:x:x:x:x:x

It may be legal, but it's very much immoral. The Kanadian public voted, and they wanted a Conservative Minority Government. This is undipustable. It's dispicable. And, to me, it is treasonous to spit on the peopel's wishes in a supposed Democratic country.

Only 37% of the Canadian voters elected the Conservative party. That says to me that more than 60% of people did not want a Conservative government. As such, any coalition between those parties which 60% of people voted for seems quite fair, and specifically democratic, to me.

The rest of your post devolved into incomprehensible ranting, so I can't understand it to respond to it, sorry.

Dictatorship my foot. I've visited dictatorships. Maybe you should too, unless the same rules apply to nation states as games: that seeing them on TV counts as experience.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Dictatorship my foot. I've visited dictatorships. Maybe you should too, unless the same rules apply to nation states as games: that seeing them on TV counts as experience."

Sorry; but but not all dictatorships need to be brutal. Dictatorship is about the people being 'dictated to' who will lead them as opposed to voting.

"Volourn seems to be fear-mongering."

fear mongering? L0L Nowhere did I post that the Liberals & co are turning into saddam or some other silly thing. But, it surely isn't democratic no matter how we slice it.

Kanadians voted for a Conservative minority led gov't not a bunch of punks whjo wnat to overturn the election results. And, that's exactly what theya re doing since they need permission from the Crown to pull it. The people arne't putting them in power if this goes through. An unelected official is. That's not demcoracy. in fact, it's dictatorship. We're being told who will lead us not voting for them.

Period.

Thread title still stands.

Edited by Volourn

"Volourn seems to be fear-mongering."

fear mongering? L0L Nowhere did I post that the Liberals & co are turning into saddam or some other silly thing. But, it surely isn't democratic no matter how we slice it.

I've already explained previously why it most certainly is democratic, if slightly annoying for those who voted just 6 months ago. Anyway, that quote was a reference to your rants about being slaves to the British Monarch, not the vote of no confidence.

Let me put it this way:

The Governor General only acts when the democratically elected parliament democratically votes to democratically dissolve the government (via no confidence). Then, the Governor General elects the majority party or coalition to form government (the hallmark of democracy) or calls a new democratic election.

The Governor General might not be democratically elected, but he's also more of a political process than an independent agent.

The Constitution grants the Governor-General a wide range of powers, but in practice he or she follows the conventions of the Westminster system and (with rare exceptions) acts only on the advice of the Prime Minister of Australia or other ministers. Even in the appointment of the Prime Minister, the Governor-General rarely exercises any discretion, usually appointing the leader of the largest party or coalition of parties in the House of Representatives.

I imagine it's similar in Canada.

Now, if you think this is undemocratic, Volo, you should start a grassroots effort to call a referendum to get Canadian citizens to democratically decide to become a Republic and abolish the monarchy.

L0L I have an ego; but not big enough ego to do some silly crap like that. Like i said, a smuch as I think this whole thing is retarded, it's not like we're going to be destroyed by it.

SAtill not democratic.

"The Governor General might not be democratically elected"

'Nough said. Yte he has more pwoer than the elected officials in this country. The very hall mark of a Dictatorship.

Kind of like how Iran works except the GG isn't about to be get violent on those who disagrees with him.

I believe the correct pronoun at present would be her, n'est pas?

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.