Is Metal Gear Solid 4 any good?

Morgoth

Oh god. This game is so hilarious. First I thought the dancing Metal Gear MKII was funny, but then I met Akiba, the farting rookie. I just couldn't hold myself anymore.... The badass FROGS were attacking, and Akiba farted like there was no tomorrow, and I laughed and laughed and Akiba farted.... boy my stomach now hurts from laughing. I need a break. At any rate, this is an awesome game!

Oh god. This game is so hilarious. First I thought the dancing Metal Gear MKII was funny, but then I met Akiba, the farting rookie. I just couldn't hold myself anymore.... The badass FROGS were attacking, and Akiba farted like there was no tomorrow, and I laughed and laughed and Akiba farted.... boy my stomach now hurts from laughing. I need a break. At any rate, this is an awesome game!

actually he craps himself in that fight.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

actually he craps himself in that fight.

Well I didn't pay that close attention, but thanks for pointing that out. >_<

1 - Snake is a clone, created from the genes of Big Boss (old war hero, protagonist of MGS3), as a tool of war. It's a side-effect of that. It'll get clearer later on I think.

2 - You don't have to go anywhere. You just have to Equip the weapon from the Weapons menu. Then you'll have it in the R2 menu.

Like they said snake is a clone, and thus in order to keep him from becoming a tool of anyone else his creators changed his dna so that after X amount of time he'd deteriorate... It's ultimatly explained in Act II.

Naomi... Cleavage! :wub: Trivia: The moment Naomi asked Snake to undress, my PS3 fan fully turned up. What a hilarious moment.

Anyway, I'm now about to kill that laughing Octopus woman. What a wicked thing. I managed to shrink her health bar about 2/3, but she still manages to kick my ass. Any useful tips out there?

Thermal eye will allow you to see her in her hiding spots.

And if you tranq her during the "beauty" phase of the fight theres a statue of her underneath the bed. You collect those statues (one for tranqing each boss and one for tranqing the frogs) and you get the Solar Gun. an instant ko gun that's got unlimited ammo. (doesn't put them to sleep just knocks them into star land)

I didn't have trouble finding her actually, but what's that crap with the tranquilizer darts? Didn't do anything to that wicked monster. It was helpful for the FROGS though. Anyway, she's now gone, and I finsihed Act 2. That Vamp vs. Raiden fight was really awesome, and I mean generally the cutscenes are the best directed I've seen anywhere. This game definitely deserves more hype and respect. Now I'm in Eastern Europe, it's really well modeled.

I better go and take some closer look to Matthews link again. I feel I really missed out a lot by not playing the predecessors. Oh btw, was the younger Snake the protagonist in the previous games, or wasn't that some different guy?

Edited by Morgoth

I didn't have trouble finding her actually, but what's that crap with the tranquilizer darts? Didn't do anything to that wicked monster. It was helpful for the FROGS though. Anyway, she's now gone, and I finsihed Act 2. That Vamp vs. Raiden fight was really awesome, and I mean generally the cutscenes are the best directed I've seen anywhere. This game definitely deserves more hype and respect. Now I'm in Eastern Europe, it's really well modeled.

I better go and take some closer look to Matthews link again. I feel I really missed out a lot by not playing the predecessors. Oh btw, was the younger Snake the protagonist in the previous games, or wasn't that some different guy?

the "young" snake was the protagonist in Metal Gears 1 & 2 and Solid 1 in Metal Gear solid 2 Raiden was the protagonist, then they went back in time 30-40 years to the 70's and did a game about Big Boss (who's the spitting image of Snake) the story is convoluted to say the least

the "young" snake was the protagonist in Metal Gears 1 & 2 and Solid 1 in Metal Gear solid 2 Raiden was the protagonist, then they went back in time 30-40 years to the 70's and did a game about Big Boss (who's the spitting image of Snake) the story is convoluted to say the least

Also, if you ever feel like playing the really old ones - for curiosity on how the gameplay evolved or the story and characters were - avoid the NES games like the plague and go for the MSX versions. While the NES Metal Gear is fairly spot on in comparison to the MSX title, the second was an atrocious action shooter that had nothing to do with the series. And with a villain called Higharolla ****amamy, you can guess why.

Also, if you ever feel like playing the really old ones - for curiosity on how the gameplay evolved or the story and characters were - avoid the NES games like the plague and go for the MSX versions. While the NES Metal Gear is fairly spot on in comparison to the MSX title, the second was an atrocious action shooter that had nothing to do with the series. And with a villain called Higharolla ****amamy, you can guess why.

He, it's funny. I just finished Act 3, and now I play a mission that apparently was on the PSX - with the original PSX MGS. Quite neat. I didn't know the PS3 could run PSX games.

Anyway, let's just say this game blows me away. I don't know how much that game costed to make and how many people were involved, but the production values, cinematic artistry and characters deepness are just years ahead of what we usually consider "Next-Gen" in our typical western-world made game.

MGS 4 is truly a masterwork! An achievement! I got a lot respect for the Japs from now on. :p

Now I need some rest. After defeating that hideous flying Robo-Raven, escaping a bunch of Gekko's on a motorbike and watching a dramatic 90 min cutscene (Snake got the crap beaten out by Liquid), I really have to put down the controller and compose myself.

Does anyone know if there'll be a MGS 5?

MGS4 made me feel nostalgia near the end without ever playing any game in the series, and a bit sad too, even if I didn't understand anything.

That takes some serious cinematic skill.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

MGS4 made me feel nostalgia near the end without ever playing any game in the series, and a bit sad too, even if I didn't understand anything.

That takes some serious cinematic skill.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Kojima wants to move on from MGS. That's why he took everything he could and tied it in a knot at the end of MGS4. I'm hoping he goes back to Zone of the Enders (an awesome mecha game) or moves on to another franchise.