NWN2 npc AI

Pope

So I've finally gotten around to playing NWN2 OC.

Can anyone explain to me why my NPC's never seem to do what I ask of them? I'm mostly playing in strategy mode, with all characters set to puppet mode. But why is it that after I order them all to attack an enemy, whenever I select one NPC (usually a spellcaster to cast some spells), all the others suddenly turn around and come standing around that specific NPC, doing nothing at all, while I just ordered them to attack?

It's really tiresome. I must be doing something wrong.

So how do you guys manage NWN2's AI?

There's a toggle somewhere that has all the characters gather around the selected one. It's maddening, I know.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So I've finally gotten around to playing NWN2 OC.

Can anyone explain to me why my NPC's never seem to do what I ask of them? I'm mostly playing in strategy mode, with all characters set to puppet mode. But why is it that after I order them all to attack an enemy, whenever I select one NPC (usually a spellcaster to cast some spells), all the others suddenly turn around and come standing around that specific NPC, doing nothing at all, while I just ordered them to attack?

It's really tiresome. I must be doing something wrong.

So how do you guys manage NWN2's AI?

I believe that doesn't happen if you click the character's portrait instead of selecting the character himself.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Helmets never appear on the OC's companions. I think it has to do with the unique head meshes, but I could be wrong.

Heja Sverige!!

The game persistently crashes to desktop when leaving the Sunken Flagon Inn. :*

I should probably patch, but I'm playing on a pc with no internet connection. And since NWN2 + MotB + SoZ are installed, which patch should I get?

Specs:

Intel Dual Core @ 2.4GHz

6GB DDR2

Sapphire HD4870 1GB

This is the infamous dual core thingy right?

Edited by Pope

I connected the pc to the internet and tried to update. Not sure if that worked though (and even if it did, not sure if that would've solved my problem), since I always got the message "patch aborted" for some reason.

This is annoying. I had to wait for over two years to play this bloody game, and now it crashes on me.

Is there any sort of console command that allows me to jump to another area?

Edited by Pope

A tidbit of info that might be useful:

I installed the game on another pc and transferred the savegame, to see if this problem might be related to my pc. I loaded it up and there I was, back in Neverwinter, but without any of my companions (Khelgar, Neeshka and Elanee). I later realized this was because I did not transfer my character file with my savegame.

Anyway, I was able to enter and leave the Sunken Flagon with my single character. I then saved my game and transferred it back to my other (better) pc. When I loaded it there, I was back outside the Flagon, this time again with my companions.

However, since I remembered that my companions had had some interjections during the conversation with Duncan and Sand, I tried to repeat this process, this time also transferring my character file.

The result this time was that the game crashed on the other pc as well. So it seems apparent to me that the crash is somehow related to my companions and/or character file.

Now, until I get a straight solution for this problem, can anyone tell me whether or not it's okay to continue my game with the first transferred savegame (the one that didn't crash)? Might the fact that I did not have my companions with me in the Sunken Flagon during the Duncan/Sand conversation have any negative impact later on?

Thx in advance.

EDIT:

I connected the pc to the internet and tried to update. Not sure if that worked though (and even if it did, not sure if that would've solved my problem), since I always got the message "patch aborted" for some reason.

Downloaded the patch and patcher from NWN2vault and patched the game on the pc it should be running on. Now I can finally leave the Flagon without any problems.

So apparently the update somehow didn't work on that one pc, but the patch does fix the problem. Phew, what a ride. :*

Edited by Pope

Helmets never appear on the OC's companions. I think it has to do with the unique head meshes, but I could be wrong.

There is a setting in the toolset to set character models to NEVER show helmets. For the OC, this is turned off on all (?) companions.

If they're in puppet mode, you have to assign them a command for every single round, else they'll stand around and do nothing.

every single round? so they don't keep attacking the assigned target until it's dead? how lame!

That's not true, unless SoZ changed it. In my experience, puppeted characters will continue to execute an "attack" order with any ranged or melee weapon. (Frustration: Warlock eldrich blast attacks are coded as spells, so if you've got a Warlock, you've got to queue them up every round.)

In puppet mode, they would attack until I changed the order in my game.

You can adjust alot of their behaviour under their profiles - I though they behaved well enough after I set some parameters up. Of course they tend to stand around doing nothing every once in a while, which is annoying. But a quick "attack nearest enemy" would solve that.

Fortune favors the bald.

Speaking of companions, do they get any more interesting? I've just reached Neverwinter, and they're all pretty bland up until now. Though Khelgar is alright I guess.

I met Qara, but she didn't seem interesting either. And I just encountered Grobnar, who might just be the most annoying character in the game so far.

Is there any bearable NPC besides Khelgar?

Yeah, the NPCs aren't a great crop in the OC. (I liked Grobnar, though. He was irritating, but his reaction to one major plot event I won't spoil was very worthwhile.)

The Paladin (who you should meet soon) is bearable but a bit dull.

Sand (who you've already met) becomes an entertaining joinable companion.

Much later, you'll get a Warlock who is interesting, and a Cleric who has some interesting dialogues, but who speaks in a rather annoying fashion (and who is compulsory for a few excursions).

Edited by Enoch

I'm a fan of Shandra even if she is a forced companion.

Heja Sverige!!

I like Neeshka.

I liked her better when she was called Annah.

Seriously, ever since she's joined me I've been waiting for someone to replace her with, but neither Qara nor Grobnar seem any more interesting.

Nice to know Sand is a joinable. I like his attitude.

Does anyone know how to bring up the console on an azerty keyboard? Apparently I need to press ~ to bring it up, but that doesn't do anything, and the button underneath ESC doesn't work either. In fact, I've tried all buttons, to no effect.

Not that I want to cheat. It's just that by the time I encounter forced companions I might not want to dump anyone.

Edited by Pope

When you get Shandra, you don't have to drop anyone. You just go around with a party of five.

Heja Sverige!!

When you get Shandra, you don't have to drop anyone. You just go around with a party of five.

There are other forced companion quests, though. Off the top of my head, you need the Ranger for the rescue quest, and the Cleric when you're gathering the ritual powers.

Does anyone know how to bring up the console on an azerty keyboard? Apparently I need to press ~ to bring it up, but that doesn't do anything, and the button underneath ESC doesn't work either. In fact, I've tried all buttons, to no effect.

Not that I want to cheat. It's just that by the time I encounter forced companions I might not want to dump anyone.

As I understand it, its supposed to come up with shift + key next to backspace (+/=/}) then enter for azerty keyboards.

Supposedly the .ini file will allow you to edit the key to bring up the console, but I haven't looked at it to confirm.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I understand it, its supposed to come up with shift + key next to backspace (+/=/}) then enter for azerty keyboards.

Supposedly the .ini file will allow you to edit the key to bring up the console, but I haven't looked at it to confirm.

Found it. In the NWN2 folder in My Documents, there's a nwn2player.ini file in which the key can be changed.

Edit: Cool, this works. (perhaps a stupid) question: will my characters get less xp individually when there's more of them? In other words, is it worth it bringing Qara and/or Grobnar along?

Edited by Pope