Any good games coming out?

Karzak

DX' design was ambitious, but flawed. I prefer that more rather than some "perfectly" made Gears of War boxes that repeat themself like a pattern. In DX, there were always these little things you could discover. I miss this attention to detail in modern games.

What do you mean boxes?

The same pattern the level design used. Enter area with predefined cover points, release a trigger, monsters appear, shoot them into the face. Then some talk, then the same **** again. Like box after box. American design philosophy.

Thats just plain old linear encounter-based level design. The benefit is that it allows the designers to control the pacing very effectively. L4D uses the exact same method but with a random generator that triggers slightly different encounters along the way. It never bothered me in GoW or GoW2.

But Devil may cry 4 did it really badly and blatantly. You literally walk into a room, doors close, enemies spawn, fight, enemies die, doors open into the next room which does exactly the same thing. That was baad level design.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Encounter-based level design. That's so 1998. And they even get away with that (thanks to pretty graphics eh?). The level design in DX was years ahead, as it encouraged the player to be more creative and seek out different ways to reach your goal. Call it emergent leveldesign, or whatever you Uni type gamedesigner call it, but DX was and still is ahead of these lazy-linear-designed shooters from today.

But hey, pretty graphics can fix that.

I don't know how I can be any clearer. "Finding health" is not an inherent part of exploration, not a "key aspect", as evidenced by exploration heavy games in which finding health plays no part.

I don't know how I can be any clearer, finding health is the key aspect of a game like Deus Ex, which is about exploring and staying alive. If your character runs out of health nothing else matters.

Disagree adamantly.

It is not the key aspect of a game like Deus Ex. If I am short on multi-tools, I have other alternatives to deal with the game. If I can't find a medkit and my health is critical, the ONLY alternative is to RELOAD the game and redo parts that I have already done. And to use your absurd argument of "if your character runs out of health nothing else matters," then it applies to Thief as well and you have contradicted yourself that finding health in Thief is a minor thing, because combat is minor.

If finding health is THE key aspect of a game like Deus Ex, then I consider that to be a gigantic design flaw. ****ing a player over and FORCING them to reload previous saved games, in a game that prides itself on NOT forcing the player to make specific actions, is completely CONTRARY to a game like Dues Ex. FORCING a player to essentially stop making progress in a game, in the HOPES that he finds a medkit because a fight didn't go particularly well (perhaps a long time ago too). If he doesn't, well, perhaps all that running around and stuff you just did, and all the stuff that you found along the way...you'll have to redo it.

Dues Ex is not a game that is about exploring and staying alive. Sorry to burst your bubble. It's entirely possible to play through the game with a minimal amount of exploring whatsoever. Because that's the way the developers wanted it to be.

If you're finding yourself with medpack shortages in Deus Ex, while playing a combat oriented character, you are either ridiculously awful at the game, or have intentionally picked skills and augmentations that go AGAINST playing a combat oriented character. Explaining that if you don't improve your skill in medicine the health hunt becomes an actual "key aspect" of Deus Ex is absurd. Because even if you don't improve your medicine skill, if you're playing a combat oriented character you better be picking up skills and augmentations that improve your efficiency at dealing out death, and improve your ability to soak/avoid damage. If you're boosting your lockpicking skills to expert, I question whether or not you're making a combat oriented character.

If you run out of health, the game ends.

If you run out of multitools, it doesn't.

Giving players free health for just standing around is bad for the gameplay.

Giving people free multitools for just standing around would be bad, too, but not AS bad.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Thats just plain old linear encounter-based level design. The benefit is that it allows the designers to control the pacing very effectively. L4D uses the exact same method but with a random generator that triggers slightly different encounters along the way. It never bothered me in GoW or GoW2.

But Devil may cry 4 did it really badly and blatantly. You literally walk into a room, doors close, enemies spawn, fight, enemies die, doors open into the next room which does exactly the same thing. That was baad level design.

L4D doesn't use encounter boxes at all. It does have predefined encounters at some of the choke points, but there is very little "triggers" in L4D. Things can be predicted based on the locations set up for some creatures like the tank, but that's just a characteristic of the "AI director." The tank doesn't spawn because of a trigger, nor does he start attacking you because of a trigger. He starts attacking you because of the AI detecting LOS on the group, or a reaction to something that the group does (i.e. hitting it with a molotov).

In fact the only thing that could really be considered a predictable occurrence is the tank locations, which are predefined at various points throughout the levels. The positions of zombies and spawn points of the special zombies are entirely randomly generated.

EXACTLY! Which is why it was stupid for you to ask what the difference was between the two.

But then, I guess Thief's key gameplay element is hunting for health (which you said earlier wasn't the case). I guess the key gameplay element in Doom is hunting for health. In fact, it seems as though ANY game that features health and a way to restore it...the key gameplay element is looking for health, since if you run out of health the game ends!

I don't know how games can even exist that don't have health packs, with it being such a key element of games like Deus Ex.

This argument is weak. The fact that the game ends when you run out of health, is precisely why FORCING a player to WASTE TIME hunting for medkits is BAD in a game like Deus Ex (which is probably why they are so abundant in Deus Ex, along with other very accessible ways of replenishing your health such as the medbots or the augmentation).

Giving players free health for just standing around is bad for the gameplay.

Giving people free multitools for just standing around would be bad, too, but not AS bad.

It's be significantly worse to give multitools for free. Because it makes the decisions that you make about your character's development inconsequential. Why put points into electronics if you have unlimited multitools. Seriously this argument is just absurd. Might as well say that giving people unlimited ammunition is less worse than free health.

Health is not key aspect of the gameplay of a game like Deus Ex. Health exists for difficulty. Especially in a game like Dues Ex, where the differences between the difficulty levels are, in fact, how much damage you take. Your multitools aren't more efficient on easier difficult levels. You still need the same skill in computers in order to be able to take control of the turret defenses linked to a computer console, regardless of the difficulty level.

The really entertaining aspect is that, in Deus Ex 3, you're an AUGMENTED HUMAN BEING. Rationalizing regenerating health is EASY to do in this context. And you can still have improvements in a "medicine" skill that would improve the regeneration rate of your character.

Giving people health for free isn't bad for gameplay. It's bad for difficulty.

If you honestly think that getting health for free is worse than essentially having infinite ammo (re: multitools, lockpicks, **** like that) at affecting gameplay in a game like Deus Ex, then I don't know what to say. If you don't like the free health because it makes the game too easy, then fine. At least say that rather than trying to make the issue seem bigger and more important by making stretching remarks about how it's "the key aspect" of gameplay.

I'd be a bit more lenient about it, if Deus Ex was actually a game centered around survival like System Shock 2. But it's not.

Edited by alanschu

EXACTLY! Which is why it was stupid for you to ask what the difference was between the two..

Please can the "stupid" references, alan. I haven't called anybody stupid or referenced their opinions as being such, so there is no need for you to do so.

Both health and multitools are resources (along with others) vital to completing the game. The gameplay of Deus Ex is to go forth and collect those resources to aide you in your journey.

The difference is health is more basic because you can finish the games with 0 multitools or 0 lockpicks or 0 rockets; you can't finish it with 0 health.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

EXACTLY! Which is why it was stupid for you to ask what the difference was between the two..

Please can the "stupid" references, alan. I haven't called anybody stupid or referenced their opinions as being such, so there is no need for you to do so.

Because it was ridiculous for you to ask a question you clearly already felt there was an answer to. I'm not calling you stupid. I said the question was. I stand by my original statement. I ask stupid questions and make stupid statements all the time too. I don't feel I'm stupid though.

Both health and multitools are resources (along with others) vital to completing the game. The gameplay of Deus Ex is to go forth and collect those resources to aide you in your journey.

The difference is health is more basic because you can finish the games with 0 multitools or 0 lockpicks or 0 rockets; you can't finish it with 0 health.

Health isn't a resource. It's a difficulty mechanic, to create challenge. It is impossible to complete Deus ex without gathering something some or all of the following: multitools, lockpicks, and weapons/ammunition. It is possible to complete Deus Ex never, EVER needing to acquire health.

Collecting health packs would only be a key aspect of Deus Ex if it was required for you to restore your health. It's not.

Edited by alanschu

Health isn't a resource.

You pick it up; you put it in your inventory; you click on it to use it; you can spend skill points to make it go further.

Just like multitools.

Its a resource. The most important one. The one every character needs. Some need less; some need more; but they all need it.

You can't finish the game without it.

Because it was ridiculous for you to ask a question you clearly already felt there was an answer to. I'm not calling you stupid. I said the question was. I stand by my original statement. I ask stupid questions and make stupid statements all the time too. I don't feel I'm stupid though.

FIne. I'm not going to argue the point. If you think the question was stupid and want to express your thought in that manner, it's OK with me.

Just remember I wasn't the one who started throwing the word stupid around.

Collecting health packs would only be a key aspect of Deus Ex if it was required for you to restore your health. It's not.

I missed this the first time and it is an interesting point, since I am maintaining that health is required to finish the game.

FIrst of all, I do agree that if you have played Deus Ex a lot and know the layouts of the levels and where the guards are and where the turrets are and what not and how to get the killphrases for gunther and anna, then it is possible to play through a huge chunk of the game without taking a point of damage. I know because I've done it. I've also played through the entire first half of the game without spending skill points on anything except pistols. SO, with enough knowledge of the gameworld, you can do unusual things like that.

Is it possible to get past Walton Simons and his plasma rifle without taking damage? I don't know. I can't remember if I've done that or not. I know by using the energy shield aug at full blast and running right up to him and emptying my assault rifle into his face (becasue I know exactly where he is going to be and what he is going to try to do), I can get by him with not a huge amount of damage. But no damage at all? DOn't know. I think one time I tried to just run by him without fighting him at all. Did it work? Again, can't remember.

Either way though, I would argue that such a playthrough is a special case. For the average gamer playing through the game for their first time, it is extremely unlikely that even if they went a total non-combatant route that they would be lucky enough to miss all the turrets, bots, snipers and what not. In other words, regardless of whether they choose to hack computers or zap people with the cattle prod or tranq them with the crossbow, they are still going to take some damage. Not as much as the character who uses the rocket launcher to open doors, but they are still going to need health.

DEus Ex is a game about balancing all your resources to survive. It IS actually a lot like System Shock 2 in that way. Deus Ex is not just a puzzle or adventure game where the goal is to solve the puzzle to advance. If it were, then I would agree about health being a non-issue.

Rather Deus Ex is a game where you need to solve puzzles and advance under the constant threat of character death. It is not about solving puzzles in a a vacuum. Doing all your proper exploration for health is a critical part of being able to deal with situations where things go wrong and suddenly you need health to survive. It keeps the tension up.

Regenerating health in Deus Ex would do the same thing that those free res chambers in Bioshock did: remove a whole bunch of tension and excitement since full health (or non death in Bioshock's case) is suddenly always guaranteed.

ANyway, it is just my opinion that Deus Ex wouldn't have been nearly as fun or exciting with free health.

You're free to disagree, and of course, you've already won since the devs agree with you and Deus Ex 3 willl have free health regardless of what I think.

All I can do is chew on my old bones and mutter under my breath.

ANyway, it is just my opinion that Deus Ex wouldn't have been nearly as fun or exciting with free health.

This.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The gameplay of Deus Ex is to go forth and collect those resources to aide you in your journey.

The gameplay of Deus Ex, like Thief, is simply to complete your objectives. How that's done is up to individual players. You can explore as little or as much as you want, you can collect and use as few or as many resources as you want.

That's simply not true. The best players never need lose any health. In Thief it's very easy, as the player never needs to enter combat, so that just leaves their own mistakes, like too long a fall, or environmental dangers. You don't need prior knowledge to play through without losing health, you just need to be careful. In Deus Ex there are situations where combat is forced upon you, but entering combat doesn't necessarily equal taking damage.

Resources like multitools, lockpicks, passwords etc, these allow you to remove barriers blocking your path. Health doesn't work that way, it corrects errors, it doesn't open new paths. Only the worst of the worst players with ever find themselves with only a sliver of health and no resources available to correct this.

Despite claims of how easy regen makes games, in my experience I haven't found this to be the case. In fact it allows the developer to throw greater challenges at the player, because they know that if the player survives the battle, they'll be fully healed and ready to move into the next one. With a health kit system, it's possible to survive a battle with little health and no healing resources left that moving on is a guaranteed death, so the developer isn't going to make situations quite as dangerous.

Sure, if regen health lessens your enjoyment of a game, that's not something anyone can argue. But this is a far cry from claiming the developers are using regen because they want to limit exploration, which is a misunderstanding of what they are doing. Also, CrashGirl likes to find health doesn't equal finding health is a key aspect of exploration nor does it equal finding health is a key aspect of Deus Ex.

Edited by Hell Kitty

The gameplay of Deus Ex is to go forth and collect those resources to aide you in your journey.

The gameplay of Deus Ex, like Thief, is simply to complete your objectives. How that's done is up to individual players. You can explore as little or as much as you want, you can collect and use as few or as many resources as you want.

true. But the idea though is that you collect resources through exploration and then use what have to accomplish your tasks. You don't have to find everything, but the expectaction is that you will explore enough to find what you need to progress.

It is still a resource based game of exloration.

That's simply not true. The best players never need lose any health. In Thief it's very easy, as the player never needs to enter combat, so that just leaves their own mistakes, like too long a fall, or environmental dangers. You don't need prior knowledge to play through without losing health, you just need to be careful. In Deus Ex there are situations where combat is forced upon you, but entering combat doesn't necessarily equal taking damage..

As I said in my response to Alan, its a valid point you are making. ANd yes, it could happen. I suppose if you reload enough, then yes, you can make it all the way through without ever needing to heal. I just think it extradorinarily unlikely that a first time player is getting through without setting off a mine that was hidden around a corner or taking fire from a turret they didn't notice.

Resources like multitools, lockpicks, passwords etc, these allow you to remove barriers blocking your path. Health doesn't work that way, it corrects errors, it doesn't open new paths. Only the worst of the worst players with ever find themselves with only a sliver of health and no resources available to correct this..

Health keeps all players alive when they take damage. I'm not claiming anything other than that. That's why its the most valuable resource: because it saves you when you need to be saved. SOme play styles will need more, some will need less, but no play style can escape the need for health.

Unless, as we said, the player is very skilled and knows the game. Then it is possible.

Despite claims of how easy regen makes games, in my experience I haven't found this to be the case. In fact it allows the developer to throw greater challenges at the player, because they know that if the player survives the battle, they'll be fully healed and ready to move into the next one..

I see what you are saying and I sorta agree. I just think the the GUARANTEE of always having access to full health regardless of circumstances, which is what health regen does, lowers the thrill and tension of survival.

With a health kit system, it's possible to survive a battle with little health and no healing resources left that moving on is a guaranteed death, so the developer isn't going to make situations quite as dangerous..

That way seems better to me though. Having the resources to continue and survive is up to the job I do as a player. I'm not being given anything. Health regen is simply a handout that I've done nothing to earn.

Sure, if regen health lessens your enjoyment of a game, that's not something anyone can argue. But this is a far cry from claiming the developers are using regen because they want to limit exploration, which is a misunderstanding of what they are doing. Also, CrashGirl likes to find health doesn't equal finding health is a key aspect of exploration nor does it equal finding health is a key aspect of Deus Ex.

What I was saying was weak was the developer statement that we don't want people to have to explore for health kits, not that the developers wanted to limit exploration. People should have to explore for health kits just like everything else in the game.

And again, my statement about health being the key aspect of exploration is under the assumption that every player is going to take some damage. I've played DX many many times (I know you did as well) and I am pretty sure, despite the fact I knew every facet of the game in and out, I never made it through without needing to heal. That's anecdotal to be sure, but that is the basis for my assumption.

It's an element that may have worked in DX, but that doesn't make it crucial in an exploration game. You could just as well focus the gameplay on other aspects of exploration and make it just as enticing. For example, in this game I'm making for the PS3, there are toilets hidden throughout the gameworld. The player character can only go through a certain amount of time before his/her bladder/bowels give out, which then leads to interesting gameplay situations. As such, the player is encouraged to explore the environment, and search for the toilets of the world. Some of them are even very well-concealed. Furthermore, we even added time as an incentive to explore on a deadline, given that your bladder/bowels only have finite space. Now see, in our secret PS3 game, time is also another important resource in exploration, much as health was in DX. As developers, we thought it was a novel and different approach to exploration, rather than just hiding health kits or star maps like in every game ever made.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

no play style can escape the need for health.

That will be true of either health system. In DX this need is fulfilled by finding or buying health, in DX3 it's fulfilled by managing to survive combat or environmental damage. Obviously you prefer the former, but that doesn't make it the better system.

Health regen is simply a handout that I've done nothing to earn.

I feel the opposite. You keep referring to regen as "free health", but having your health regenerate is a right you earn by surviving the challenge of battle. Though exploration is something I find fun, it's not actually challenging, and as such I've done nothing to earn what I find. Like if I find 20 bucks on the sidewalk. In DX I'm going to be exploring even if the game features health kits or not, so I'm not actually doing anything extra to find them, and being that they are pretty plentiful I suppose I could refer to them as "free health".

People should have to explore for health kits just like everything else in the game.

What players have to do and what they can choose to do is up to the developers and what it is they want to achieve with their game. What CrashGirl likes to do doesn't equal what the player should have to do.

Edited by Hell Kitty

no play style can escape the need for health.

That will be true of either health system. In DX this need is fulfilled by finding or buying health, in DX3 it's fulfilled by managing to survive combat or environmental damage. Obviously you prefer the former, but that doesn't make it the better system.

Health regen is simply a handout that I've done nothing to earn.

I feel the opposite. You keep referring to regen as "free health", but having your health regenerate is a right you earn by surviving the challenge of battle. Though exploration is something I find fun, it's not actually challenging, and as such I've done nothing to earn what I find. Like if I find 20 bucks on the sidewalk. In DX I'm going to be exploring even if the game features health kits or not, so I'm not actually doing anything extra to find them, and being that they are pretty plentiful I suppose I could refer to them as "free health".

People should have to explore for health kits just like everything else in the game.

What players have to do and what they can choose to do is up to the developers and what it is they want to achieve with their game. What CrashGirl likes to do doesn't equal what the player should have to do.

You know, Deus Ex actually has a pretty easy hand wave to allow for regenerating health. I mean Nanites are doing everything from letting JC breath to increasing his muscules, it'd probably be pretty standard to start putting in a regenerating set (iirc there was one in the first game anyway, it's just you didn't get it till later so early on you'd have to reload because that one gunfight went badly for you).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Health isn't a resource.

You pick it up; you put it in your inventory; you click on it to use it; you can spend skill points to make it go further.

Just like multitools.

Its a resource. The most important one. The one every character needs. Some need less; some need more; but they all need it.

It's a difficulty mechanic, plain and simple. Player health exists simply to provide challenge for the player. Stating that you can't finish the game without it doesn't make health preservation and recovery a "key aspect" of the game whatsoever.

FIrst of all, I do agree that if you have played Deus Ex a lot and know the layouts of the levels and where the guards are and where the turrets are and what not and how to get the killphrases for gunther and anna, then it is possible to play through a huge chunk of the game without taking a point of damage. I know because I've done it. I've also played through the entire first half of the game without spending skill points on anything except pistols. SO, with enough knowledge of the gameworld, you can do unusual things like that.

Irrelevant. Health exists to provide difficulty and challenge for the game. This couldn't be more blatantly obvious given that the difficulty levels do just this. All the difficulty levels in Deus Ex do is modify how much damage the player takes.

Nothing changes the fact, regardless of whether or not you have previous experience with the game, the game is not designed around restoring and preserving health.

You would be the VERY FIRST PERSON I have EVER seen that says "Man, I love Deus Ex because of the way it's health system works." The first person to tell me that the most memorable gameplay experience they have of Deus Ex (or any game) is restoring your health.

I just think it extradorinarily unlikely that a first time player is getting through without setting off a mine that was hidden around a corner or taking fire from a turret they didn't notice.

It doesn't matter if it's extraordinarily unlikely that someone playing the game for the first time doesn't take damage. The FACT still remains...you can beat the game without taking ANY damage. How can a game that has health recovery (resource allocation) as THE key aspect of it's entire gameplay even allow you to play through it without having the player actually have to deal with it's key aspect, and most important part in your words, of its entire gameplay.

How can something that is not even required, be the most important part of the game?

And looks like you are asuming that CrashGirl is the only person in the world who likes to do that things and asume that everybody else likes to play with your way...

Edited by Mamoulian War

And looks like you are asuming that CrashGirl is the only person in the world who likes to do that things...

So when you finished Deus Ex, the thing that stood out for you was the enticing gameplay aspect of managing your health in the game?

Listen, I'm not saying that it can't contribute to how much FUN you get out of it. If you like the challenge of knowing you have 1 HP left and you haven't saved your game for an hour, then that's great.

But don't go making it into something more than it is. It makes the game more challenging and difficult. There is no way it's the "key aspect" of Deus Ex gameplay. You don't look on the back of the box at read "Fantastic Health Management System" under the features list.

And looks like you are asuming that CrashGirl is the only person in the world who likes to do that things...

So when you finished Deus Ex, the thing that stood out for you was the enticing gameplay aspect of managing your health in the game?

Listen, I'm not saying that it can't contribute to how much FUN you get out of it. If you like the challenge of knowing you have 1 HP left and you haven't saved your game for an hour, then that's great.

But don't go making it into something more than it is. It makes the game more challenging and difficult. There is no way it's the "key aspect" of Deus Ex gameplay. You don't look on the back of the box at read "Fantastic Health Management System" under the features list.

I think we do not understand each other... I love challenging games and games with good health management are challenging games, i do not think that it's key aspect but it is one very good way how to make game challenging if you do make some effort to design the health packs in a way that they are not evrywhere, or even worse to make game with auto regen... i played few games with auto regen... there was absolutely no challenge involved... everytime i got low on health and no medpack was around i went to make a call to my gf or friends or make me a food or go to the toilet... if you like that sort of gameplay, its good for you, but i will be bitching about every single game with auto health regeneration...

EDIT: and one another thing... i mentioned it somewhere before but i post it here awell, i did not play any FPS game for 5 years then i installed few old and new games, and if i had to play almost every single new game from start on hardest difficulty to find it at least little bit challenging, i tell you there is something realy wrong with current gamedesign...

Edited by Mamoulian War

If you play games because you're looking for them to be very difficult, then that's fine.

I most certainly did not play Deus Ex for the challenge. I haven't found games to be hard in a long time, but I'll take Deus Ex over Doom on Nightmare any day of the week.

Deus Ex is still one of the best games I have ever played. And it's not that I want to be invincible.

I don't think the idea of running back and forth to the medical robot to revive some damage every time it happens is a better solution than having my health slowly regenerate.

Edited by alanschu

I take Deus Ex 1 over Doom 3 on nightmare anyday aswell, but that still does not change my view on a difficulty of a games in general...

Free health regen is a BAD BAD thing for me o:) It can realy take all the excitement from the game, as much as putting Health Pack every 5 yards...

How hard it is do develop the game in a medium difficulty and then make 2 lower diffculties for newcomers and casual players and another 2 harder for players who love the challenge...

All they need to do:

if difficulty 1

{

monster health == monster health*0.5;

monster damage == monster damage*0.5;

}

elseif difficulty 2

{

monster health == monster health*0.75;

monster damage == monster damage*0.75;

}

elseif difficulty 4

{

monster health == monster health*2;

monster damage == monster damage*2;

}

elseif difficulty 5

{

monster health == monster health*4;

monster damage == monster damage*4;

monster respawn == 30;

}