Dead Space

We got it today for the PC and Ive been playing all evening. It looks very nice, and its fun to blow the arms and legs of alien thingies, but the only thing thats actually scary is the number of times you have to drudge back and forth in the same damn corridors to get keycards and useless technical thingammabobs. If theyd skipp all that and just gave me a shotgun and let me massacre people it would be so much more enjoyable.

But maybe I havent got the mindset to be scared of computer games. Have you played it and were you frightened?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What else is there to do in the game besides blow appendages off? Any character development? Puzzle-type things? Research?

How's the "story"? Is it all interesting or just an excuse to blow appendages off?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Kaftan hates every game lol

The reason you have to drudge back and fourth is because you are a space engineer, and it's your job to get the ship working again, but your survival now depends on it as well. I love the concept! You hate and want to escape from the ship because it's infested with horrible things, yet you have to fix and take care of the ship and defend it from asteroids, because if the ship goes down, you die with it.

Any character development? Puzzle-type things? Research?

The story of the ship is scattered in audio logs that YOU have to find and collect, there's some basic puzzles and I hear there's a twist on the characters of something (I'm only on chapter 5)

Overall it's an awesomely atmospheric game that sucks you in (it doesn't even have a HUD)

As for scares, the monsters get more and more grotesque and it got me to the point of being cautious and hesitating if I should enter that dark room or not. This game is what Doom 3 should have been.

Its quite similar to Bioshock, but with monsters that leap out of walls as soon as you get to a new room. Oh, and the "you just have to get through this door to get to the next level, but in order to do that you have to go back and repair the..bla.bla over and over again" school of level design. Sometimes I think they do it just as a cheap filler to make the game longer without having to build more levels.

edit: I forgot to mention that they've intentionally sabotaged the PC controls, the mouse is so horribly laggy and slow, that I had to plug in a 360 controller to play. I think they did this because if you had full and quick mouse+keyboard controls, you would pwn the hell out of the monsters.

Kaftan hates every game lol

Lies. I just find it alot more fun to ridicule the bad things, than to preach about how good the decent parts are.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, it does appear promising. If the reactions to FO3 are not so good, then I'll buy this. When I am done with FC2, of course.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

edit: I forgot to mention that they've intentionally sabotaged the PC controls, the mouse is so horribly laggy and slow, that I had to plug in a 360 controller to play. I think they did this because if you had full and quick mouse+keyboard controls, you would pwn the hell out of the monsters.

Turn off Vsync

Phhh, I did that already. Way too slow and unresponsive

It looks very nice, and its fun to blow the arms and legs of alien thingies, but the only thing thats actually scary is the number of times you have to drudge back and forth in the same damn corridors to get keycards and useless technical thingammabobs.

The story of the ship is scattered in audio logs that YOU have to find and collect, there's some basic puzzles and I hear there's a twist on the characters of something (I'm only on chapter 5)

Oh, and the "you just have to get through this door to get to the next level, but in order to do that you have to go back and repair the..bla.bla over and over again" school of level design.

So it's a slightly-better clone of Doom 3? Thanks but no thanks, I thought that was a boring game without any horror. :o

securom2gu8.png

As Bokishi mentioned, the concept of the player playing as an engineer in the survival space horror is cool by itself.

Aside from the said mission objectives that involves an engineer to fix it, all of the weapons with the exception of one the protagonist uses happends to be engineering or mining tools instead of conventional military weapons. Ironically, it is the very said tools that gave the player the needed weapons to survive against unconventional enemies that cannot be killed easily by standard weapons. They can only be killed via dismemberment, which the tool cutting mining equipments easily does the work.

As for the story, there is an animated movie coming out that serves the game's prequel.

http://www.deadspacethemovie.com/

Or the comics online

http://deadspace.ea.com/

Overall, at the risk of spoling the story:

Near the ending, the twist of the story is similar to the twist of Rahxephon of the events both protagonists experienced.

That's actually a very good comparison. The only difference is that the game actually drops hints.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Just watch gameplay footage instead of relying on text descriptions from random internet posters.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5563.html

If you aren't interested in what random internet posters have to say, why the hell are you here in the first place?

Nice trailers. Thanks.

EDIT: I dunno. The whole cutting off their limbs mechanic doesn't seem all that great to me. I like the atmosphere and background, but these necrodudes can only be killed by dismemberment? Sounds kind of cheesy.

Edited by Aristes

Just watch gameplay footage instead of relying on text descriptions from random internet posters.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5563.html

If you aren't interested in what random internet posters have to say, why the hell are you here in the first place?

I wrote that one shouldn't rely on their descriptions. There's an enormous amount of Dead Space gameplay footage at gametrailers.com, covering everything from audio design to backstory to zero-gravity gameplay.

Yeah, the dismemberment mechanic is one of the coolest things about the game.

First thing I've noticed is that I can't reassign movement keys to the arrow keys. FFS, I mean, I'm not an expert but how ****ing hard can it be to implement proper remapping. I can't stand WASD, it's just a thing I've always suffered from.

Enter, Arrow keys, Numerical keyboard, can only be mapped to certain seemingly arbitrary functions, The rest it seems must me either letters, numbers or F-keys.

You can move with F1 through 10, but not the arrow keys.

Just brilliant.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

but these necrodudes can only be killed by dismemberment? Sounds kind of cheesy.

Why cheesy?? I mean in one instance I got a necro on the floor after cutting off its legs, and then I repeatedly stomped on it until it died

That was funny. Well, I like the atmosphere and premise. And I'm seriously jonesin' for a new horror fps. I'll have to think about it. Maybe get it for Christmas. The footage I saw seemed to be over the shoulder, which makes sense with the whole using the character's body as a hud. How hard do you think it will be to transition from FPS mode to the over the shoulder view for this game?

We got it today for the PC and Ive been playing all evening. It looks very nice, and its fun to blow the arms and legs of alien thingies, but the only thing thats actually scary is the number of times you have to drudge back and forth in the same damn corridors to get keycards and useless technical thingammabobs. If theyd skipp all that and just gave me a shotgun and let me massacre people it would be so much more enjoyable.

But maybe I havent got the mindset to be scared of computer games. Have you played it and were you frightened?

I've jumped a couple times.

but these necrodudes can only be killed by dismemberment? Sounds kind of cheesy.

Why cheesy?? I mean in one instance I got a necro on the floor after cutting off its legs, and then I repeatedly stomped on it until it died

If anything it's a change from the headshot only gameplay style that is in every other shooter.