Fallout 3 system requirements?

Does anybody know what the minimum and recommended system requirements for Fallout 3 are going to be? I cannot find them anywhere on the net and the official FAQ has not been updated with the system requirements - it still claims that they will release them closer to the release date.

They haven't been officially announced, but I expect they won't be too high.

When Oblivion came out, I was still using a 9800 Pro. That's the generation before the X-series, although at a higher price point (the X700 is slightly weaker than the X800, which would be the 9800 equivalent in the X-series). I was still able to run it with decent framerates. Since then they've probably upgraded the Genome engine quite a bit. It will definitely be a close call.

I'd suggest you upgrade your GPU to at least an ATI Radeon 4670 (fantastic value for your money!), but the M in your CPU suggests we're talking about a laptop here, in which case you're stuck with what you've got.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Specs haven't been released yet (as of a few days ago anyway). Apparently Bethesda is still in tweak and refine mode with FO3 and probably won't release the spec requirements until that phase is done.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Specs haven't been released yet (as of a few days ago anyway). Apparently Bethesda is still in tweak and refine mode with FO3 and probably won't release the spec requirements until that phase is done.

Hmm, the release of the game is really close now, so they must know the specs by now. It is just likely they forgot to update their website.

Well, I hope I can run it on my system, if not I will have to wait to buy the game until I get a new one.

Hmm, the release of the game is really close now, so they must know the specs by now. It is just likely they forgot to update their website.

Well, I hope I can run it on my system, if not I will have to wait to buy the game until I get a new one.

I'm sure they have a general sense of what is needed to run it at various degrees of detail, but until thay have finished optimizing and tweaking performance I can understand that they would be relucatant to say anything.

Probably if you can run Oblivion decently then you'll be able tun run FO3 on at least some level. However, also probably the specs for running FO3 at max detail will be higher than those of Oblivion.

Those are just guesses, of course.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Your video card will just barely meet the minimum requirement, so if you're lucky, you'll be able to play it at minimum details and standard resolution.

In that case, I hope I get lucky.

You better pop in a 8800GT or 9800GT or so (very cheap these days) and Fallout 3 will magically transform into a pretty game that runs smoothly as well.

I cannot do that, as my computer is a notebook. That said, I am planning on getting a computer in a not too distant future, so I will be able to run Fallout 3 eventually for sure, but I would still hope to be able to run it immediately upon its release.

I don't know which version to buy... I get the feeling FO3 may work better on a console than on a PC.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Well I'm not trying to tell you what you should do, but if I were you, I'd just wait till you get your computer, and then enjoy Fallout 3 as it is meant to be played. Smoothly and with graphics fully turned up!

I might. It could also be that I might get my new computer before Fallout 3 is even released... but it could also be that this only happens in 2009...

I'm sure they have a general sense of what is needed to run it at various degrees of detail, but until thay have finished optimizing and tweaking performance I can understand that they would be relucatant to say anything.

The game is 23 days from being released, so I would imagine they are already producing their Gold Master disc and cannot really do much more tweaking. Even if they are still tweaking, though, they have to finish really soon, so they won't be able to change the requirements substantially by now.

I don't know which version to buy... I get the feeling FO3 may work better on a console than on a PC.

unless you've got a state of the art PC with the latest graphic card, it's safe to say that FO3 will almost certainly run better on a console.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

unless you've got a state of the art PC with the latest graphic card, it's safe to say that FO3 will almost certainly work better on a console.

Well obviously I'm asking because I have them all... I'm leaning towards the 360 version.

unless you've got a state of the art PC with the latest graphic card, it's safe to say that FO3 will almost certainly work better on a console.

I doubt F3 will be such a demanding beast on the PC. We're not talking about some Crysis here. The leading platform was the 360, and the PC version will just be the same with some higher res textures. Experience shows that games made mainly for the 360 tend to run very smoothly on "good" PCs.

I doubt F3 will be such a demanding beast on the PC. We're not talking about some Crysis here. The leading platform was the 360, and the PC version will just be the same with some higher res textures. Experience shows that games made mainly for the 360 tend to run very smoothly on "good" PCs.

Uh huh, so it's a matter of 360 or PC... So the arguement comes down to controls ya know? I mean I'm a mouse and keyboard man, but Oblivion felt like the PC controls were hacked on.

True, and a good desktop PC can apparently be had for a very reasonable price.

I think this is an issue of controls for some people. Some prefer the PC controls, while others favor console controls.

Uh huh, so it's a matter of 360 or PC... So the arguement comes down to controls ya know? I mean I'm a mouse and keyboard man, but Oblivion felt like the PC controls were hacked on.

Haha, we posted on the same topic nearly simultaneously!

I think this is an issue of controls for some people. Some prefer the PC controls, while others favor console controls.

Well, there's the potential mod issue as well. ALthough at this point, whether there will be user mods is totally unknown.