It yam what it yam

Walsingham

I had a rather startling crash into what may have been some sort of cultural barrier yesterday. I was in a large interior furnishings store, buying a table, chairs, bookcases etc for my house, and while I was filling out delivery forms a man came up to the counter next to me and asked:

"Is this a magazine rack?" While brandishing an object made of wicker-work.

My immediately voiced reaction was "Who cares? If you want to use it as one, go ahead."

He looked at me as if I had grown an extra head and began singing a duet with myself.

I wondered if this struck anyone else as an odd thing for me to have said. As far as I can tell the man was almost clinically subservient to the dictates of Society. Seriously, what bloody difference does it make what something is sold as if it works in the manner you intend?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Heh. I'm currently using a chest of drawers for a table for my laptop.

I would think that we follow the ideas set by the makers because it is an authority that we can follow and feel correct. I would probably use a table if I could afford one without giving up something else.

The case of the whole is this a rack for magazines and can it be used for other things thing that you

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

It's not so strange, he expected you to respond in a certain way - and you didn't, hence his reaction.

Like if you were to ask a waiter what he would recommend and his respons is akin to yours - I'm sure most people would feel suprised and some offended. Because they expect him to be professional, not like a friend who wants you to make up your own mind.

Fortune favors the bald.

It could double as a stationary cat storage facility device.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

How could you do this to the poor guy? He might be completely lost if you don't follow the script. Nothing like the unexpected to throw people off.

Reminds me a bit of my very first phone conversation with a guy from London over the phone: He asked me "How are you?" and my gut response (which I luckily suppressed by biting my tongue) was "None of your business". I mean, how dare he ask for details about things he doesn't need to know about. We were not that familiar after all. Later I found out that it is common courtesy thing in English speaking countries and you are not even expected to give a sincere answer to the question.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How could you do this to the poor guy? He might be completely lost if you don't follow the script. Nothing like the unexpected to throw people off.

Reminds me a bit of my very first phone conversation with a guy from London over the phone: He asked me "How are you?" and my gut response (which I luckily suppressed by biting my tongue) was "None of your business". I mean, how dare he ask for details about things he doesn't need to know about. We were not that familiar after all. Later I found out that it is common courtesy thing in English speaking countries and you are not even expected to give a sincere answer to the question.

Where were you initially from? Certainly not australia right?

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Where were you initially from? Certainly not australia right?

Denmark ;)

No self respecting Dane would be so rude as to ask a complete stranger how he/she is doing >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

An object may appear to the casual observer capable of holding magazines, but unless it is labeled a 'magazine rack' it can be difficult to tell for sure. There are issues of size and access to consider. One would at least need a magazine, or magazine-like object, with which to test it. Moreover, is wicker really up to the challenge of the modern magazine with its supplements and free DVDs? Only a qualified professional can answer, and I ask you, Mr. Walsingham, are you that qualified professional?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Walsingham killed a guy once. As far as I'm concerned he's qualified.

What a boring story.

:thumbsup: Hey, pal, you just have to listen to it. I have to live it!

It sounds like most of us here will just use whatever we've got handy. I suppose being more charitable, I suppose that if you're going to all the trouble of buying a magazine rack - and frankly who does that - then I guess you want the pointless frakking object to be the real deal.

I actually use these stainless steel designer wine racks as document storage. It's obvious they're wine racks, but I like it because of that.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.