The quality of combat in Bloodlines and other games

Dark_Raven

So is there anyone at all on this forum who doesn't like JA2 combat or doe we actually have something that we all egree upon?

Combat in bloodlines wasn't the most functionally perfect thing but it did its job better than so many "better" systems that I think it deserves more praise than it gets sometimes.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

JE2 combat wasn't PERFECT (its turnbased nature meant that large scale fights could be very plodding, and critical hits, while possibly realistic, through too much of a wildcard into the mix for my liking), but very enjoyable none the less.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

So is there anyone at all on this forum who doesn't like JA2 combat or doe we actually have something that we all egree upon?

Combat in bloodlines wasn't the most functionally perfect thing but it did its job better than so many "better" systems that I think it deserves more praise than it gets sometimes.

I haven't played JA2.

:lol:

But, back on topic, if we're talking combat, surely there's a direct tension between realism and awesomeitude? If combat were realistic it would totally suck. And I'm not just talking getting hit. You'd have PTSD for years after playing a game.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I haven't played JA2.

:lol:

But, back on topic, if we're talking combat, surely there's a direct tension between realism and awesomeitude? If combat were realistic it would totally suck. And I'm not just talking getting hit. You'd have PTSD for years after playing a game.

I think there was somebody on this forum awhile back that disliked JA2. They died a horrible death, from what I remember.

It is a pretty popular game on these forums. It gets almost as much mention as BG2.

[but, back on topic, if we're talking combat, surely there's a direct tension between realism and awesomeitude? If combat were realistic it would totally suck. And I'm not just talking getting hit. You'd have PTSD for years after playing a game.
No, the more realistic, the more awesome, so long as it's still a game of course. http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?optio...5&Itemid=95

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Never played JA2.

=]

How can you go through life without ever having played JA2?!? >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Eek!... *faints* >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i'm a JA2 virgin too >_

All repeat after me:

"JA2 is the greatest combination of tactical squad combat and crpg ever created, so great that it makes your eyes moist and the Sun shine a little brighter just thinking about the greatness of the game!"

WTF is JA?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

To put it this way: I usually hate tactical turn-based combat, but I've played and re-played Jagged Alliance 2 probably twenty times from beginning to end, just messing with the myriads of options available in that game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I liked the demo back then, died a lot though.

Now, Deadly Games, that I've played.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Now, Deadly Games, that I've played.

You'll burn in spinoff-hell for this!

All of you people who haven't played JA2 should rush out and buy it and repent for your sins.

but i'm lazy :ermm:

and it would involve trying to track down a copy

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Jagged Alliance. It's like Morrowind with guns.

sounds lame then

*grabs popcorn and waits* o:)

LOLZ. Total lamage

Morrowind with guns? NO no no, POR2 with guns :-

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

*Sneaking around, taking notes in his little black book* o:)