Piranha Bytes RPG teaser site

Morgoth

Thanks, funcroc, you creepy newsstalker.

Looks quite OK to me. Perhaps a little desolate. I'm used to seeing those scavengers (large featherless birds) in every screenshot. But this isn't Gothic, it's Risen. I'm quite undecided about the whole "going to consoles" decision. On the one hand, it usually means they'll have to pass through Microsoft's QA (should mean less bugs, thank god). On the other hand, it may mean a lot of compromises for the PC version. A consolified Gothic? Hmm. Also, by going to the Xbox 360, I'm sure we won't be seeing any functioning brothels anymore. Nor any weed smoking. And it usually means the game will be easier.. (Americans seem to prefer to be handheld through the first 25% of every game).

Oh well. Still looking forward to it!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Insert [dumbing down, consoles are for kiddies, decline of the PC, failure of the free market] here.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's hard to think how the combat could get any dumber, going by the last three Gothics.

As long as the exploration and world are good, I'm sold.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's almost exactly like the Gothics. It's supposed to be closer to Gothic than Gothic 2 or 3 though. Denser and tighter. Smaller gameworld, more dialogue choices. Story divided into chapters again (four this time). Third person action RPG with real time combat. With a little luck the combat will be more like in Gothic 2 (with active blocking and circle strafing and stuff) than Gothic 3 (broken).

With a little luck they'll get rid of left-right-left-right combo. I mean, if I can kill an orc scout with a sharp branch...something must be broken.

I admit that the combat through 1-2 was pretty enjoyable, just that the enemy AI problems and other issues got pretty dire the more opponents you had to face. I think I killed around double the enemies in Gothic 1 by standing on an unreachable ledge and raining arrows than in direct combat. 15 minutes of 5 shooting 5 orcs running in a queue around an obstacle gives a man time to ponder.

I'd prefer if they'd do something about the lock-on system as well, less restricted - larger probability of hitting several enemies with wide arcs and swings. Ranged combat is also pretty awful as it is, so a revamp there wouldn't hurt either. Free targeting, better hit detection and perhaps cross-hair or a targeting reticle to spells.

Then again, these are really minor nitpicks. Both early Gothics are really solid.

Here's to hoping that there's still someone smoking apple weed and guzzling down rice schnaps while lecturing on the relative ease of psychokinesis. Risen needs moar pot-smoking zen paladins and gut-wrenching early escapades from undead tigers when your only possessions are a bag full of raw meat and shrooms, a pickaxe and a set of laid-back moral codes when it comes to material ownership and other peoples trunks.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 1 month later...

The "real" Risen site is up now:

http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/news/news.php

Not much to see yet.

Also, on January 28, there will be a world exclusive preview of Risen in some German magazine called Gamestar:

gs03xlresizedbd6.jpg

Horrible, horrible German page layout!! But it's nine pages about my most anticipated game for 2009 so I'll just turn off my brain and try to read it anyhow. Somehow.

• 1 month later...

Not really newsworthy perhaps but.. For us who struggled with getting good performance from Gothic 3, no matter the settings, this might come as a surprise:

We are optimizing constantly. Nearly every day I hear someones saying: "Hey I have delete ... and optimized ..., and it is noticeable faster yet".

Pixel have already revealed in the german board, that you can enjoy Risen on a 600 - 800 Euro PC. He also wrote that the test system(Intel Quad Core processor and a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS) can run the game at maximum detail, without any slowdowns (and the optimization of Risen isn't completed yet).

Source: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showp...mp;postcount=93

Let's hope they can keep that level of performance all the way to the end!

Not really newsworthy perhaps but.. For us who struggled with getting good performance from Gothic 3, no matter the settings, this might come as a surprise:

We are optimizing constantly. Nearly every day I hear someones saying: "Hey I have delete ... and optimized ..., and it is noticeable faster yet".

Pixel have already revealed in the german board, that you can enjoy Risen on a 600 - 800 Euro PC. He also wrote that the test system(Intel Quad Core processor and a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS) can run the game at maximum detail, without any slowdowns (and the optimization of Risen isn't completed yet).

Source: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showp...mp;postcount=93

Let's hope they can keep that level of performance all the way to the end!

If this is going to run well on an XBOX, how can it not run great on a good pc?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

A few new screens from Risen at worthplaying:

http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=60613

I like this one:

Risen_28.jpg

Looks a LOT like Gothic. Not a bad thing for me, but unfortunately I'm also getting some heavy Gothic 3 vibes from it. That means lots of polygons but much shorter viewing distance than in Gothic/Gothic 2. I prefer long viewing distances.

I hate how picture linking works as long as you're on a site, but when you leave the image disappears..

ANYHOW! This is the picture I meant:

Risen_28.jpg

Stupid Worthplaying.

Very good looking, besides the bloom. I'd play that.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 2 weeks later...

First almost-ingame screenshot of Risen:

3f91a65ada5d.jpg

ALMOST :D

(and let's hope the picture linking works this time..)

A Polish interview with some in-game footage. It's actually only the intro that's in Polish, the rest is in broken English. But it's perfectly understandable so it's fine:

http://www.gry-online.pl/S014.asp?ID=351

Looking good.

Oohh, I found the same video on Youtube:

Still looking good :D

The funny thing is that the discussion on the Risen forums is about how crappy the armours and combat looks. People are comparing it to Dragon Age! Funny.

Edit:

Aahh, now I know what they're talking about. They think the guy is too broad over the shoulders, making his head look too tiny. Apparently there's a problem with the original video:

risen%20pl.jpg

Edited by mkreku

Work and Youtube are two incompatible things. I have to check it later.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Small preview of Risen on IGN UK:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/966/966062p1.html

Although the author is wrong on so many accounts that it's not even funny. The lead platform is PC, for starters. Wizardbox aren't involved in the actual game development, they're the ones responsible for porting the game to Xbox 360. Also, there are no randomly generated dungeons at all. I have no idea where he got that from. Oh well.

If this is going to run well on an XBOX, how can it not run great on a good pc?

Well, it could be a bad port, id est GTAIV, or have better graphics, id est Fallout 3 and Oblivion. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Fan made films from a recent role playing game convention in Germany:

Part 1:

Part 2:

The language used in the videos was too difficult to translate for my rudimentary German skills, but the game looks smooth. They've said that the game is feature complete and that they're spending the next six months on polishing the game! Let's hope that's true.

• 2 weeks later...