Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

Soo, can we also exchange actual facts or should we stick to subjective statements and just call them facts?

Fact: having to play online only is partially limiting (limits me to only my desktop PC as there is no quality wi-fi around) potentially annoying (maintenance periods), potentially disruptive (net connection down) and gives me nothing I actually need, while taking away what I consider a staple of PC gameplay - single player offline mode that I've enjoyed for the last decade.

Other hoops include: registration, making accounts, limited activations and other irritating time wasters.

If it actually achieved anything I might be inclined to put up with it, but the only thing it does is annoy me for my 50$ while my pirate friends plug and play at release day, or a few days after and joke about it too.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that we were talking about you. Please, tell us what else annoys, disrupts and or doesn't give you things you actually need.

There are a lot of people that feel the same way, these are common complaints. If you can live with it, buy it - I won't.

But that "I can live with any crap they decide to shove into my mouth - for my money" attitude is what makes the PC suck more and more as a gaming platform.

I thought we blamed consoles for that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I thought we blamed consoles for that.

Can't blame it all on them can we?

Although they do deserve most of the blame.

You either go with the times or you'll just end up bitching about other people having fun on an internet message board. Thems the breaks, brah.

It remains to be seen if this model becomes the new norm. I hope it doesn't.

But what I'm really hoping for is a new groundbreaking game that isn't the sequel to something or other. The real reason I don't/wont play Starcraft II, Diablo III, ME3, Shogun TW 2, CoD xy, DA2 etc. is because they're a souped up rehash of decade old games that I've had my fill with already.

I haven't seen a new, non-indie development in the staple PC genre's (FPS, RTS, RPG) in years.

Dunno, SCII was cracked on release day. But that could complicate matters.

I don't care either way, never liked Diablo/Titans Quest/Torchlight type games anyway.

SCII single player saves are stored locally on your PC. SCII had very basic DRM, just like any other single player.

D3 saves won't be stored locally, so pirates need to simulate D3 server in order to get working saves. It's going to be either a) simulation software the user installs and plays offline, b) unofficial D3 server where you play&save.

What's wrong with indie developments?

Nothing except that they don't have the money to make groundbreaking, technologically advanced titles in established genres

As much as I liked Braid, World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies - they're essentially filler (to me at least).

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Am finding the guidelines of what constitutes a discussion on piracy exceedingly confusing, these days.

I always though discussion was okay, promotion and linking was not okay.

The former can be useful, the latter two can have unfortunate consequences. Discretion is sometimes required to determine when something is 'promotion'.

See, I got confused when the New Guy got jumped on for saying that he didn't pay for whatever game, and then displaying a disturbingly intricate knowledge of D2 hacking is perfectly normal... :lol:

But that's ok, I get confused easily!

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Someone was giving intricate details of D2 hacking ? Pretty high level and hardly disturbing at any rate :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do we already know how big the maps in D3 are gonna be?

One thing I so loved about D2 were the huge and maze like maps. Searching every corner before advancing into another dungeon down was the key to understanding it's addictive nature.

That's why I didn't really like Torchlight. Narrow and linear levels destroyed that feeling. I really hope Blizzard is aware of that.

Of course it's MMO. Have you played an MMO recently. Many of them you simply group together with a few friends, which is normally a small number rather than a larger number. Some you don 't even group together, but create your own space to be in, or go out with a party. MMO's have various different ways of being together, but they all have the similiarity of many people in the same game on the same server at the same time...and while much of the game info is on your computer, it's played online with characters saved via online servers and without those servers you can't play.

I agree, Diablo 3 shouldn't be an MMO, but it is. They just have claimed an MMO as an SP game. Guildwars, DDO, Eve Online, and all the others could theoretically be played as an SP game too, but just like Blizzard wants you to play D3 online with friends in a party, you probably want to play those games with friends in a party too.

In a MMO you can't avoid other people. Every game you mentioned above has a zone/area where multiple people congregate, Diablo 3 doesn't have that. You could in theory play D3 in a way that you wouldn't _ever_ see or hear anyone else, and that's what makes it just a single player game with multiplayer component.

And it still misses the integral part of MMOs, being Massive. No matter how you put it, the maximum number of people in D3 at any given time is less than 10 (4v4 arena PVP matches). If less than 10 people is what qualifies for MMO status then we need to re-brand a lot of games out there.

As I have said, have you played any recent MMO's recently. In some you don't have to interact with a soul if you don't want. Even those with other people in it, such as WoW you can actually play a SP game. In addition, a majority of MMO's today are actually FREE TO PLAY. WoW even instituted this idea, at least for the frirst 20 character levels.

Depending on your server, in some areas in WoW you'll actually have 2 or 3 people max...at least that's been my experience recently. Not exactly steaming with tons of people in some of those areas. Even in WoW it's actually relatively easy to avoid people. It's even easier in games that are geared to be able to be played SP if you so desire. Some of them you start a quest by yourself...that's all that's going to be in that quest.

Why are they MMO's? Because they save your character on the server, you have to be logged in to play, and massive amounts of people can be on the server at a time, even if they aren't in your specific area or quest.

In some you don't have to interact with a soul if you don't want.
And the difference here is that in a MMO you can choose to not interract with the population of the server, and in D3 you CAN'T interract with the population of the server.

Typical MMO is like going to a night club, you're surrounded with people but you don't have to interact with them, they might still bump into you, you might pick up some chatter or some jerk might want to punch you in the face.

D3 is more like like a VIP room, you could go alone if you want to and you'd be truely alone, but you could also invite few other people to make it a party.

It seems to me you're trying to force a square peg in to a round hole, but I can't understand why.

Edited by trulez

Doesn't matter. People are gonna buy it anyways, unless the Beta sucks horribly.

Yup.

But it does matter to me. I don't base my purchases on what "everyone else" is going to do. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Doesn't matter. People are gonna buy it anyways, unless the Beta sucks horribly.

Yup.

But it does matter to me. I don't base my purchases on what "everyone else" is going to do. :)

But in the end you'll have your principles and "everyone else" will have a ton of fun :)

Yup.

But in the end you'll have your principles and "everyone else" will have a ton of fun :)

That is, if you really really want to play the game in the first place.

Umm, It's Diablo 3 the biggest PC release in whichever year it will finally be released.

And it will be glorious.

Unless EP3/HL3 is released the same year

So I take it you like your new job at Blizzard PR? Valve not handing out peanuts anymore?

Umm, It's Diablo 3 the biggest PC release in whichever year it will finally be released.

Unless EP3/HL3 is released the same year

That has zero to do with whether a specific individual is actually interested in the game. :)

I still don't have a cellphone, if that helps explain my old-fogieness. If I don't like the sound of it and I don't need it, I don't get it.

That is, if you really really want to play the game in the first place.

Yeah...while I personally do like some hack n slash games and did want a Diablo3, I haven't felt much excitement about it yet, plus I'm moving towards being less interested in games overall to begin with...so it's easier to let go of it this time around.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Conform, damn you!