Game suggestion help

FIrst assignment!

post-378-1214522884_thumb.jpg

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I tried the downloadable demo (about 135mb) of X2... very nice :)

Didn't figure out how to re-enter a ship though. I still need to work a bit with the tutorials.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I tried the downloadable demo (about 135mb) of X2... very nice :)

Didn't figure out how to re-enter a ship though. I still need to work a bit with the tutorials.

ASk and ye shall recieve, mighty Gorth. SHift-e. :)

It helps to have someone you can ask questions of when starting X2. A lot of stuff remains unexplained in the tutorials and the manual.

A poster named Greyhawk over at Missy's Lair helped me out a lot when I first played the game. I'm always happy to do the same fpr pthers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What? Where? My memories of playing DS One is that the controls were virtually identical to Freelancer

Similar controls, but Freelancer never felt even slightly like a spaceship flying game, while DS did (to an extent), thanks to not being trapped on the X and having a Z (roll) axis to play with. I mean, Freelancer didn't even feel like being in space thanks to it's relative '2Dness'.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

ASk and ye shall recieve, mighty Gorth. SHift-e. :x

It helps to have someone you can ask questions of when starting X2. A lot of stuff remains unexplained in the tutorials and the manual.

A poster named Greyhawk over at Missy's Lair helped me out a lot when I first played the game. I'm always happy to do the same fpr pthers.

I think I am going to play this demo quite a bit more over the next couple of nights... I've never heard about these games before :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ASk and ye shall recieve, mighty Gorth. SHift-e. :)

I think I am going to play this demo quite a bit more over the next couple of nights... I've never heard about these games before :ermm:

The X universe games are basically free-roaming games that offer you a lot of ways to entertain yourself in the game universe.

There is a story attached to the game, but just like Oblivion, you can put it off indefinitely or drop out of it whenever you want, and just go do whatever you want.

These games are not for everyone. ANyone who favors linearity or a well-told gripping narrative is going to be lost the moment they launch into the universe at the start of the game. The only real overarching goal is to acquire enough loot to do what you want through whatever means you can find. It's sort of a cross between an empire building sim and a space combat sim, with your "empire" consisting of fleets of ships and trading stations.

For the most part you can play it as a trader with alomst no fighting (unless you follow the main story), but if you build in unprotected systems, you'll have to maintain either mobile or static defenses to protect your assets, plus you'll also have to protect your supply routes for your freighters. There's a lot of logisitics and strategy involved.

You can also play it as a combat sim with little or no trading. It takes longer to amass great wealth that way, and you tend to lose some of the flavor of the universe by not participating in its economic system.

With all the updates and patches applied the universe feels very alive as the AI goes about its business controlling the thousands of ships that travel about the sectors. Every once in a while you'll see the AI fly one of its ships right into the side of assteroid but that pretty rare.

Amassing wealth, building fleets that contain hundreds of ship from small to large, erecting factory stations and keeping them running, buying all sorts of gadets and doohickeys for your vessels, is pretty much the name of the game. There's nothing like driving your own private carrier through the galaxy to let people know you've "arrived". More impressive than a Porsche any day. lol

My transport ship is under attack by pirates and I am unarmed (plus severely outnumbered). Since I am on good terms with the race that owns this system I am flying in close to one of their capital ships which is opening fire on the pirates around me.

post-378-1214572331_thumb.jpg

My transport ship is under attack by pirates and I am unarmed (plus severely outnumbered). Since I am on good terms with the race that owns this system I am flying in close to one of their capital ships which is opening fire on the pirates around me.

What no jumpdrive?

TS with no jumpdrive = target practice.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

What no jumpdrive?

TS with no jumpdrive = target practice.

I can't afford one yet. But I usually don't put jump drives in my transport ships. Although if I had to be stuck flying a slow wallowing beast later in the game. I would out one in there just to protect the pilot. Namely me!

Getting blown up while flying a TS is quite embarrassing. Which is to say, it has happened to me a lot. lol.

I can't afford one yet. But I usually don't put jump drives in my transport ships. Although if I had to be stuck flying a slow wallowing beast later in the game. I would out one in there just to protect the pilot. Namely me!

Getting blown up while flying a TS is quite embarrassing. Which is to say, it has happened to me a lot. lol.

:)

That's not embarrassing, being blown up in your freshly bought M1 Colossus, by a bunch of pirates because you didn't tell the turrets to attack enemies and the shipyard had no shields :p , that's embarrassing.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

OOH OOH! X3: Terran Conflict was announced back in February for Q3 of this year!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."