Makes you proud, don't it?

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...punishment.html

Enemies beware! This is what we do to our own damned soldiers! ;)

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, I'm not proud of it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Officer in question should be executed by hanging.

:o

So it's execution for manslaughter offences now?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They're being held accountable for their actions, and in front of a civilian jury no less. That does make me proud.
Why does that make you proud? That's the only way to legally answer to such a situation.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

They're being held accountable for their actions, and in front of a civilian jury no less. That does make me proud.
Why does that make you proud? That's the only way to legally answer to such a situation.

Actually, in the U.S. anyway, this would normally be handled by the JAG (Judge Advocate General) which is a military court system.

In the UK the Army is bound by military law, AND civil law, AND international convention. You can be tried and sentenced three times.

-Elwood Blues

What is the difference in possible outcomes?

I believe the outcomes are about the same with possibly a little harsher of a sentence coming from the military. IIRC, military courts use the same guidelines as civilian courts wrt sentencing guidelines but in the miliary you would also receive either an OTH (Other Then Honorable), a Dishonorable, or the dreaded BCD (Bad Conduct Discharge) each of which carry certain penalties which carry over to civilian life such as no longer being allowed to vote, etc... Oh, and you have to do your time in Ft. Leavenworth military prision, which isnt know as a happy place.

Criminal negligence at worst, I'd say. Regardless of all the boasting and the hard-ass attitude, I find it hard to believe that harmful intent, or even the awareness that a serious risk to the soldier's health existed. Should have taken precautions to prevent or mitigate a possible heatstroke - he didn't, and a person died as a result. that's all there's to it. The fact that this happened during a more or less "brutal" disciplining (which is otherwise legal) is, I think, rather irrelevant. I don't think there would be so many people going "ooh!" and "aah!", if it had happened during regular instruction.

Enemies beware! This is what we do to our own damned soldiers! :blush:
Heh, that's funny. Probably subjecting a [unlawful combatant] prisoner to that kind of disciplinary measures would be construed as "torture", "inhumane treatment", and any number of other equally imaginative epithets. And yet people actually sign up for it...

Hey! It's one of the oldest jokes that the Army is - comparatively speaking - so much more civilised with its enemies than with its own soldiers. I remember having a conversation with a Boer chap about British 'inhumanity' in the internment camps. he rattled off how high the disease rates were as an example of inhuman disregard. I simply pointed out what an enormous percentage of British troops in camps run by the Army were also dying.

Oh we have a lovely time, really.

I mean take this stomach flu I've got. All I need is a Martini Henry rifle and some zulus and I'd be fighting...

-Elwood Blues

This really makes me angry. Especially after I heard what Blake, the guy who was doing, it said. This is when a demotion is obvious. If he cannot see things such as this clearly, then he should not be that high in ranks.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.