Intelligence Group Mistakes Fallout 3 Screens for Terrorist Propaganda

Guard Dog

Bethesda's post-nuclear visions for Fallout 3 are apparently so intense that an intelligence services contractor called SITE Intel Group thought that they were images of al Qaeda terrorist fantasies for the fate of Washington.

According to the UK Telegraph, SITE found the Fallout 3 images in a video called "Nuclear Jihad: The Ultimate Terror," posted on two possibly al Qaeda-affiliated, password-protected websites, where it also gleaned chat logs from users discussing nuclear attacks on the West.

SITE primarily monitors possible terrorist communications, activity and propaganda for government, business and media clients. We've contacted them to ask about the mix-up and have not yet received reply. We've also contacted Bethesda to see how they feel about their game images possibly being used as propaganda by terrorists, and are awaiting comment.

In an ironic twist, by the way, SITE is based in Bethesda, MD.

Link: http://kotaku.com/5011913/intelligence-gro...rist-propaganda

That hysterical laughing sound was me. The Telegraph had this story too but pulled it down before I could link it. Definitely worth a chuckle.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I read about this earlier today :bat:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Our tax dollars at work! If RPGCodex can't stop Fallout 3, maybe the US government will.

HA!

Todd Howard to Guantamano!

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Our tax dollars at work! If RPGCodex can't stop Fallout 3, maybe the US government will.

HA!

Todd Howard to Guantamano!

Actually SITE is a private information gathering firm. If they were an actual government entity of any nation the humor would be magnified to the 10th power.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can't remember where I read it, but apparently SITE is firing back saying they never said that they were terrorist images, just that they were "posted on two possibly al Qaeda-affiliated, password-protected websites."

Actually SITE is a private information gathering firm. If they were an actual government entity of any nation the humor would be magnified to the 10th power.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification. :bat:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Nice to know that some people at least look forward to Fallout 3... :biggrin:

Sounds a bit like Lara Croft Dummy/UK Police incident :yucky:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I can see Al Qaeda fanbois getting all juiced up over the images. Who made them is more or less irrelevant. I've seen terrorist agitprop on youtube that was spliced in images from actual feature films!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Okay, if Fallout 3 clips are realistic enough to fling Al Qaeta into orgasmic throes of wishful thinking, then I really, really can't wait for this game!!

I know. I'm easy. Don't tell my husband.