SWK.com interview with Vince D. Weller

Publicising your own things is probably a sure sign that your ego is large enough to interfere with the Earth's gravitational field. Luckily, despite what the username may say, I'm actually Bablos and I in no way shape or form represent the opinions of the forum member and Team Gizka Beta Tester, Pavlos.

Mr. Vince D. Weller of indie developer Iron Tower Studio was kind enough to answer my- Pavlos' pleas for an audience which resulted in this obscenely over-sized interview about their current work in progress Age of Decadence and game design in general. The whole thing is around three thousand words long so I- Pavlos has split it up into three parts

So, obviously, major kudos goes to Mr. Weller for this.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three -- To be released on Thursday

StarWarsKnights.com -- Do not invent details which are not in the play

;)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Interesting, but a few things he seems to be pretty sure about, I'm not sure I agree with. Specifically:

• No inherently good/evil choices, but dependant on gameworld/faction reactions - This simply isn't right, especially when dealing with settings where a clear good/evil definition is a fundamental element, such as SW or D&D. For his game it may work, but then, why did he use an EP3 example?

• If fans can convince us that some feature is silly, it gets shafted - If I was a capable game designer, I'd be designing games. My potential (un)worth as a game designer is completely unrelated to my ability to convince others or the skill with which I'm able to twist the truth to suit my purposes. Think politicians. Or, even better. Think how Obs listened to the fans, and chose to lift the level 20 cap for TSL.

• We're designing a game for hardcore RPG fans - This kind of statements always leave me wondering if I'm "hardcore" enough for this game. Or maybe I'm just insecure.

Regardless of my reservations, AoD looks nice enough to keep an eye on.

never has Gromnir seen so many interviews given by a nobody developer who ain't done squat... yet.

for chrissakes, its vd from the codex boards. anybody that spent any time on those boards pretty much knows exactly what vd's myopic views is on gaming... and why anybody else would care what his views is perplexes us considering his game development resume is 'bout as impressive as vol's or vis'.

nevertheless, thanks for posting. will get to this right after we clean garage, and update our spice rack, and maybe after we de-thatch our lawn...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I always thought vd was an appropriate abbreviation for the guy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

is possible that vd actually has some useful insights. am always amazed when vis/sand comes up with some insightful observation we had not previously considered, and while such an occurrence is rare as snowfall in san francisco, it does happen and should not be completely dismissed from realms of possibility.

regardless, it seems as if not a month goes by without some codexian posting a link to an interview with vd.

suggestion: give it a rest.

once vd gets some reputation as a game developer, Then spam these interviews around the internet.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

once vd gets some reputation as a game developer, Then spam these interviews around the internet.

I decided to interview VD because he runs an independent games studio and they're always interesting to keep an eye on, simply because they often have independent and interesting views on the direction developers should take their games in.

I didn't do it because I want to big his game up. I'm not his PR manager, that's not my job. His game sounded interesting so I sent off a message to see if I could get some answers to some questions.

Part three is up if you're interested

Edited by Pavlos

Interesting, but a few things he seems to be pretty sure about, I'm not sure I agree with. Specifically:

No inherently good/evil choices, but dependant on gameworld/faction reactions - This simply isn't right, especially when dealing with settings where a clear good/evil definition is a fundamental element, such as SW or D&D. For his game it may work, but then, why did he use an EP3 example?

Good and evil are the most subjective concepts. If you don't mind, I'll link you to a discussion where this very issue was debated (including the Ep 3 reference)

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic...p=493339#493339

If fans can convince us that some feature is silly, it gets shafted[/i] - If I was a capable game designer, I'd be designing games. My potential (un)worth as a game designer is completely unrelated to my ability to convince others or the skill with which I'm able to twist the truth to suit my purposes. Think politicians. Or, even better. Think how Obs listened to the fans, and chose to lift the level 20 cap for TSL.

On the other hand, it would have been nice if MOO3 developers listened to the fans, wouldn't it? The key word is "convince", not complain, whine, or demand. It's very easy to make design mistakes. Bethesda thought that auto leveling is a great idea, but it was greatly disliked/hated by most people, even those who liked Oblivion. The game would have been much better if Bethesda was more open for suggestions. Same goes for Fallout 3.

We're designing a game for hardcore RPG fans[/i] - This kind of statements always leave me wondering if I'm "hardcore" enough for this game. Or maybe I'm just insecure.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=79

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=82

If you like what you see there, then you'll like the game.

never has Gromnir seen so many interviews given by a nobody developer who ain't done squat... yet.

I'll take that as a compliment.

anybody that spent any time on those boards pretty much knows exactly what vd's myopic views is on gaming...

Well, apparently a lot of people share my myopic views and would like to see an RPG reflecting them. Go figure, eh?

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index...msg8869#msg8869

Now, purely out of curiosity, when it comes to game design, where exactly do we disagree?

...and why anybody else would care what his views is perplexes us considering his game development resume is 'bout as impressive as vol's or vis'.

I guess people don't look at my resume. The dumb bastards look at the game videos, screenshots, and detailed articles instead.

is possible that vd actually has some useful insights.

You are too kind, Grommy.

regardless, it seems as if not a month goes by without some codexian posting a link to an interview with vd.

suggestion: give it a rest.

Clue: Pavlos isn't a "codexian", he's a StarWarsKnights journalist. Similarly, Kieron Gillen isn't a "codexian", but he too expressed some interest in the game and asked me a few questions for RPS. Another "go figure" moment.

I'm no longer with the Codex. I was, uh, voted off the island. It's a long story.

Clue: Pavlos isn't a "codexian", he's a StarWarsKnights journalist. Similarly, Kieron Gillen isn't a "codexian", but he too expressed some interest in the game and asked me a few questions for RPS. Another "go figure" moment.

I used to be a regular reader, however :).

Not so much these days, though... oddly enough, I stopped going regularly once I'd signed up :)

Edited by Pavlos

I used to be a regular reader, however :).

Not so much these days, though... oddly enough, I stopped going regularly once I'd signed up :)

you really didn't help vd with the admission. vd's notoriety is pretty much limited to the codex.

and regardless, it is more than a little gauche to be posting links to one's own interviews, as vd has done.

*chuckle*

with the way the internet works, we suspect that far more people will see interviews, mistakenly thinking vd is already somebody of note, than will ever play the game is contributing to.

HA! Good Fun!

with the way the internet works, we suspect that far more people will see interviews, mistakenly thinking vd is already somebody of note, than will ever play the game is contributing to.

I don't see your point.

Vault Dweller/Vince D. Weller/Vaultman's cultural significance is of nil importance to me. I would have interviewed the man who came to fix my radio/television aerial if he'd been working on an independent RPG that sounded interesting. If you were developing an indie RPG that seemed interesting then I would have also interviewed you. :)

Edited by Pavlos

Gromnir, what if you'd actually offer some criticism against VD instead of mere dismissing?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

you really didn't help vd with the admission. vd's notoriety is pretty much limited to the codex.

This statement is false. AoD was noted by RPG Vault, PC Gamer UK, GameBanshee, PC Powerplay, above mentioned Kieron Gillen of the Rock Paper Shotgun fame, Future France (a trackload of French gaming mags), and quite a few other sites. CRPG.ru named it as one of the most anticipated games.

If I may make a suggestion, Gromnir... Why don't you drop your silly bias against me and actually discuss either the game or my design ideas. That would be more productive and interesting.

...and regardless, it is more than a little gauche to be posting links to one's own interviews, as vd has done.

Done what? I posted links to articles I wrote for RPG Watch. These articles explain and illustrate AoD's gameplay. Since someone made a remark about the "hardcore" nature of the game, wondering if the game is for him, I posted the links as the most direct and specific answer. What's wrong with that again?

"If I may make a suggestion, Gromnir... Why don't you drop your silly bias against me and actually discuss either the game or my design ideas. That would be more productive and interesting."

have argued with you numerous times before, and as we ain't seen anything noteworthy or new in your recent glut o' internet interviews, am not seeing no need to revisit. after all, why delve dissect and parse second-hand vd when we had a chance to discuss with you firs hand previous... and that rarely held our attention for very long. already has gotten the Gaming World according to vd... albeit in smaller doses (and with more profanity.)

so, once you got a genuine game to discuss, then maybe there will be a new twist.

"aoD was noted by RPG Vault, PC Gamer UK, GameBanshee, PC Powerplay"

wow. it were "noted," eh? how long would it take us to discuss game based on what were noted in these recognizable sources? as for some french rag and CRPG.ru (crpg... russia?) Gromnir is admittedly provincial, so you not have to inform us when aod becomes the most anticipated game in greenland or lithuania neither.

but observe that it were aod that were "noted," not vd. Gromnir pointed out that your notoriety were limited to codex. without codex you is an unknown quantity on a little heard o' game.

again, anybody who wanted to got a chance to argue with you at codex. were never that entertaining, so we rarely indulged for more than a few posts. nevertheless, back then we got unvarnished vd pov... so what could possibly be benefit o' reflecting 'pon a vd interview at this time? but don't take personal, is not like we would be more likely to wanna read interviews with st. p, spazmo or exitum neither.

and if you not see why it is tacky to link to articles unsolicited, then we cannot help you.

once your game is released, then maybe we gets new perspective. in the unlikely event we plays it, we will then see if vd words match vd product. ideals so rarely survive even a glancing blow form reality. will be moderate entertaining to see how vd's notions translate into a playable game.

is no bias 'gainst you vd. have always been pretty fair and impartial. am simply wondering what you has done since codex that warrants multiple interviews... admittedly interviews from/by folks who knows you form your codex days. is maybe your clumsy attempt to generate hype 'bout your game? kinda ironic considering how you railed 'gainst bethesda and bio in past for such nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

have argued with you numerous times before...

Argued about what? Troika's games? How is that relevant?

"aoD was noted by RPG Vault, PC Gamer UK, GameBanshee, PC Powerplay"

wow. it were "noted," eh? how long would it take us to discuss game based on what were noted in these recognizable sources?

I don't know. You tell me.

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/749/749013p1.html

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/809/809015p1.html

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/714/714762p1.html

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/716/716455p1.html

Gromnir is admittedly provincial, so you not have to inform us when aod becomes the most anticipated game in greenland or lithuania neither.

I wouldn't compare France and Russia to Greenland and Lithuania, but I'm sure you know better.

but observe that it were aod that were "noted," not vd. Gromnir pointed out that your notoriety were limited to codex. without codex you is an unknown quantity on a little heard o' game.

Translation: lalalalala i'm not listening lalalalalala

and if you not see why it is tacky to link to articles unsolicited, then we cannot help you.

Well, I'm not a classy guy like you, Gromnir, and I'm not as well versed in the ways of the world, but I see nothing wrong in using links in one's replies. Had I started spamming the boards, starting new threads every time a new AoD article or interview hits the net, then it would be "tacky". Otherwise...

ideals so rarely survive even a glancing blow form reality.

The game has been in development for 4 years. You can say that I'm intimately acquainted with reality at this point.

is no bias 'gainst you vd. have always been pretty fair and impartial.

I'm sure that that's exactly how you see yourself.

am simply wondering what you has done since codex that warrants multiple interviews...

Other than working on a game and showing gameplay videos and screens? Nothing, I guess.

admittedly interviews from/by folks who knows you form your codex days. is maybe your clumsy attempt to generate hype 'bout your game?

Yep. You've got me, Grommy. RockPaperShotgun, RPG Vault, GameBanshee, PC Gamer, Scorpia, etc are all run by Codex members. I fooled everyone but you, eh?

kinda ironic considering how you railed 'gainst bethesda and bio in past for such nonsense.

I criticized "our game is the most awesomest game like evar"-type hype, not marketing and informing people about game's features and such.

Anyway, it's been a pleasure as always, Grommy.

AoD and VD was also noted in here Finland in very positive light :ermm:

But say VD, are you going for sound effects for swords etc. or not? Otherwise I have no big worries about this title

is no bias 'gainst you vd. have always been pretty fair and impartial.

I'm sure that that's exactly how you see yourself.

Shades of gray and moral ambiguity in action! :ermm:

20795.jpg

But say VD, are you going for sound effects for swords etc. or not?

Yes. After I saw the tweaked combat video with added sound effects, I was fully convinced.

Sorry, I haven't checked videos in ages :ermm:

I just remembered reading something like there wouldn't be sound effects from Codex threat and from Jora here months ago o:)

[quote name='H

Edited by Xard