GTA IV gets a perfect 10 at IGN

Meshugger

Maybe it's the limited aspect of a *10* scale. 9 and 10 are both As, but 10 denotes perfection.

It really doesn't. It's an arbitrary scale and as such, the definitions of whoever makes the scale needs to be used. That definition (in this case) is:

"A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws."

Note the first few words.

Maybe it's the limited aspect of a *10* scale. 9 and 10 are both As, but 10 denotes perfection.

It really doesn't. It's an arbitrary scale and as such, the definitions of whoever makes the scale needs to be used. That definition (in this case) is:

"A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws."

Note the first few words.

Is GTA4 "pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors?"

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No, a 9 means top notch within its genre. You hand out a few 9's every year. You DON'T ever hand out a 10 unless the game is something timeless, near perfect. A 10 is something to strive for, not something to cheapen.

Same thing applies to marking essays.

Ok, as a teacher, that's absolutely ridiculous. Students and parents would lynch me if I had that mentality, and rightly so. If a student turns in a great essay with minimal errors, they get a perfect score. Again, why have the number 10 if it's never used?

Wait, what?

What do you mean by minimal errors? How can you give a perfect score to a student that makes mistakes in his work?

Exactly what I was thinking. Personally I think its yet another symptom of education being dumbed down to make kids and parents happy, but whatever.

There should be a highest grade, a 100%, which means exactly perfection in an exam. It should be something rare dearly sought after, not handed out because the teacher is afraid to say "that's good, but not perfect".

And as for a maths exam, you should never ever give 100% if the student made a mistake.

Know what else is a 10? My boot in pixie's face.

10/10

I've got 10 fingers made into two knuckle sandwiches. You do the math.

100%

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Denmark had such a high grade. Then we changed it to be more in line with the rest of the world. I liked it, but I'm also for failing pupils until they've met minimum standards.

You can't compare grading in schools to grading in computer game reviews though.

You kind of can. People expect a 100% to mean something unique, rare and awesome. To feel like you need to give out a perfect score every year cheapens its credibility. What then do you give the game which comes along every so often (and it will come) which completely blows away the expectations of everybody, which IS perfect? If you give it the same score as that "best game of last year", there's a large amount of inconsistency there.

No one is saying 10 is perfect. It's the highest grade achievable, not the same thing. Hell, even IGN:s own definition acknowledges this fact.

A perfect score means a perfect game. Since there is no such thing as a perfect game then no game deserves a perfect score. If 10 is the highest score one can achieve then it is the perfect, best score achievable.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There is no inconsistency as the game that is perfect would be just as much ten as the other even if it would have attained a higher grading if there was one. Also people can expect 10 to be speciel but they are still wrong as 10 is clearly defined by IGN and IGN can give it out however they read their definition.

Haven't we already established that we dislike most reviewers? Why keep reading the reviews then?

EDit:

A perfect score means a perfect game. Since there is no such thing as a perfect game then no game deserves a perfect score. If 10 is the highest score one can achieve then it is the perfect, best score achievable.

Not according to IGN's own definition.

Also it is kinda silly to define a grade in a way that it supposedly can never be achieved. Humans already have the idea of perfection, you guys don't need to define it through a grade.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Not according to IGN's own definition.

Also it is kinda silly to define a grade in a way that it supposedly can never be achieved. Humans already have the idea of perfection, you guys don't need to define it through a grade.

Actually it's not. I agree with Sand here. A 10 is a perfect score. It's more of an 'ideal' than something attainable. It's something games are designed to strive, for, not achieve. When you assigned a game a perfect score, you're essentially saying "this game can be no better", which is most likely not true. Even games like Deus Ex, Fallout, Torment I would not say deserve a 10, but a 9.5 (or 95%, whatever the system you use).

But you've a point that IGN have decided to define their grading system differently. I strongly disagree with it, but that's not anybody in this thread's fault.

Not anybody in this threads fault.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

To refine the point I was trying to make earlier, IGN will give the score they're being paid to give it. If a publisher spens millions of dollars on PR, they pretty much expect all major gaming mags to give the game top scores, and if they dont there will be hell to pay. Gaming mags live in a symbiosis with the publishers, in exchange for good reviews they will get advance sneak peaks, interviews with devs etc. If they dont play ball, they wont get sh*t and thus they will have nothing to write about.

If you want honest reviews, you'll have to go to non-profit independant sites. Never ever trust major gaming mags or sites.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No, I was laughing at what you had said.

I don't think so.

What is that hand doing?

The problem here is you are creating an unrealistic expectation, whether it's for students or games. No matter what the total is, 10, 20, 100, or 1,000, there should be a way to achieve that score. It should be possible for someone in the class to get that grade, otherwise there is no reason for that grade to exist. You're just dangling a carrot in front of students. Eventually they will realize it's unachievable, and that typically has an adverse affect. They start aiming for the 8 or 9 because there is no chance of getting that ten.

I'm not saying you hand out 10's like crazy. You hand them out when you get a great paper. It doesn't need to be completely perfect because there will always be errors in essays. This isn't multiple choice.

I completely oppose any teacher that makes a grade virtually unachievable for students. I have a hard time believing that you really know a lot of teachers with this policy. Maybe at the college level, where professors really don't have much training in actual education, but I hope that's not happening at the primary and secondary levels.

I'm quoting myself because Krezack and company seemed to ignore my argument here. Again, why have the ten available at all?

"Sorry little Johnny, even though your paper is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond your classmates that it overshadows any flaws, I still can't give you an A."

The problem here is you are creating an unrealistic expectation, whether it's for students or games. No matter what the total is, 10, 20, 100, or 1,000, there should be a way to achieve that score. It should be possible for someone in the class to get that grade, otherwise there is no reason for that grade to exist. You're just dangling a carrot in front of students. Eventually they will realize it's unachievable, and that typically has an adverse affect. They start aiming for the 8 or 9 because there is no chance of getting that ten.

I'm not saying you hand out 10's like crazy. You hand them out when you get a great paper. It doesn't need to be completely perfect because there will always be errors in essays. This isn't multiple choice.

I completely oppose any teacher that makes a grade virtually unachievable for students. I have a hard time believing that you really know a lot of teachers with this policy. Maybe at the college level, where professors really don't have much training in actual education, but I hope that's not happening at the primary and secondary levels.

I'm quoting myself because Krezack and company seemed to ignore my argument here. Again, why have the ten available at all?

Even though perfection may not be attainable, it is something to be striven for.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"Sorry little Johnny, even though your paper is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond your classmates that it overshadows any flaws, I still can't give you an A."

Oh, please. You can still give him an A, just not a perfect score? What if there were some syntax errors throughout the paper? Doesn't necessarily detract from the quality, and you can still receive an A, it's not perfect.