carring loot in games

ghosta

I should add that I too think that even mentioning realism as an end-goal in a games discussion should be legal cause for lynching, as realism isn't inherently fun and as such have nothing to do in my games, unless it is a vehicle for increased fun.

Don't think realism per se, think decisions and consequences.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I should add that I too think that even mentioning realism as an end-goal in a games discussion should be legal cause for lynching, as realism isn't inherently fun and as such have nothing to do in my games, unless it is a vehicle for increased fun.

What about in sports games don't you think that it should be impossible to kick a 70 yard field goal. Or take a hairpin turn at 300km/hr.

Realism in sports games is desirable, the idea is to get as close to reality as possible. If I want to do incredible (unrealistic) athletic feats there are plenty of sports titles for that as well ..NFL Blitz, NBA Ballers, NHL Hitz Pro .......

In a fantasy game, I really am not looking for reality.

why not be able to carry suits of armor like they were pocket change?

I would say because such a system devalues the importance of making decisions and living with the consequences both good and bad of those decisions. I find games in which there are no limitations to my player character, generally dull. (That's right Todd Howard, I am looking at you) An inventory system is only one aspect of gameplay and thus in and of itself rarely makes or breaks a game, but can certainly be a contributing factor either way.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What's bothering me is in videogames how can you carry all the junk you find. How could someone possibly carry a dozen sets of armor a gross of potions, a dozen enciclapidias. and a pantries worth of rations, with roam left over for pilalaging a caravan of traders?

*puts fingers in ears*

La la la la la

I prefer the RE4 inventory. An upgradeable space to fit in all your weapons and ammo and health items, and a separate list for quest items and treasure.

Mind you, I actually like inventory tetris. And RE4 allows you to rotate items, yay!

Actually, I remember playing a demo, I think it was that E5 New Jagged Union or whatever, and your inventory changed depending on the clothing/backpack you were. I love crap like that but I know I'm in a very small minority.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I prefer the RE4 inventory. An upgradeable space to fit in all your weapons and ammo and health items, and a separate list for quest items and treasure.

Mind you, I actually like inventory tetris.

I agree that treating quest items as seperate from general inventory is a good idea, especially if you have limited inventory space and have to retrieve something big (That enormous freaking boulder in Arcanum comes to mind, trying to fit that into Sog's inventory was a nightmare. On p aythrough I forgot he had it in there and he ended up lugging this gigantionormous boulder all around the map for weeks. lol)

I'm mixed on whether treasure shoudl count as general inventory. In Daggerfall for example your gold weight counted against your weight limit, but you could go to the bank and either deposit the gold or convert it into paper notes which were weightless. Did that add anything to the gameplay or was it just somewhat a waste of time to implement? I don't really know.

your inventory changed depending on the clothing/backpack you were. I love crap like that but I know I'm in a very small minority.

You should check out the latest version of the Jag 2 1.13 mod. The entire inventory has been redone and you know have all sorts of different packs and rigs and vests you can buy that make the combinations of inventory loadouts totally endless. Sometimes I spend an hour just equipping a team. lol.

post-378-1208490769_thumb.jpg

System Shock 2 inventory and Deus Ex were pretty good.

You could explain the slightly large space by the fact that they were augmented agents.

Because we all know that augmented agents have huge pockets of nothingess inside their trenchcoats and as such could fit anything into it if they really tried.

Somehow trying to explain bad design seems silly.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Why did this thread even evolve beyond post #1? Does the OP really want to have game where he has to go to the bathroom while infiltrating an enemy facility because he has been holding his bladder for twelve hours straight?

Bob Dylan would be ashamed.

Does the OP really want to have game where he has to go to the bathroom while infiltrating an enemy facility because he has been holding his bladder for twelve hours straight?

I've actually played some NWN I and Oblivion mods that had needs like the one above - I quickly got tired of them.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Why did this thread even evolve beyond post #1? Does the OP really want to have game where he has to go to the bathroom while infiltrating an enemy facility because he has been holding his bladder for twelve hours straight?

If toilet requirements added something to the gameplay I wouldn't be opposed to implementing them.

Ooooh... The Sims.

What is sillier is limiting one and having endless supplies of other. Freelancer comes to mind (limited goods, but you could have an infinite amount of weaponry).

In general I agree with having ways in RPG's to limit people from carrying everything they find around, but it shouldn't become as redicilous as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Seriously, if enemies take that much fire to take down, why can't you take a proper amount of ammo around without becoming weighted down. I don't want to restock after each map!)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

If toilet requirements added something to the gameplay I wouldn't be opposed to implementing them.

I'm pretty sure you meant to say, "If realism adds something to the gameplay I wouldn't be opposed to implementing it."

Because toilets do not add something to gameplay!

2 words Krezzie: plumbing sim.

Yes it was. Better than Bioshock.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Bioshock would have been better with toilets and pooping.

I'm supposed to make the joke about Garrett and candlesticks now, right?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds